PDA

View Full Version : Temperature sensitivity of hangun powders?!

jayjay1
07-02-2014, 04:25 PM
Hey guys,
I´ve made some bad experiences with Accurate No. 2 and Alliant Green Dot in handgun loads (.40 S&W and .45 ACP).
I found some very nice loads, soft shooting, clean and precise, which I developed in the winter.

Now, in front of the first big match, I thought it might be a good idea to check their velocity.

What the heck!
The loads with those two powders have lost a lot of speed!

Roundabout 60 - 80 fps with 180gr. (in the .40) and 50-65 fps with 200gr. (in the .45) bullets!!!

So I searched a little around and found out, that some powders are "reverse temperature sensitive".

But to get that nailed for the future and have a better basic to choose my powders, I was looking for a chart or something, where I can find powders in relation to their temperature sensivity.
I had no luck since now, so I hope, that the forum here can make me wiser.

Every advice is welcome,
cheers,
Jay

jayjay1
07-03-2014, 02:13 PM
Anybody?

Does anyone know a chart which shows the temperature sensivity?

DrCaveman
07-03-2014, 06:38 PM
Jay here is a link to a powder chart which shows a small sampling o temperature sensitivities

http://www.frfrogspad.com/burnrate.htm

no pistol powders in the temp section,unfortunately

i hope someone else can be more helpful

gray wolf
07-03-2014, 08:19 PM
What type of temperature spread are we talking about ?
How cold to how hot. How stored ?

jayjay1
07-04-2014, 05:55 AM
@DrCaveman:
Thanks therefore, but I´m looking forward for pistol powders, where I´m in competition and need the factor.
Hope so too, that someone else can bring something in this direction in.

@gray wolf:
The temperatures where I made my bad experiences are from winter (roundabout) 32°F to the summer with (roundabout) 85°F when shooting over the chrony.

Stored in the reloaded cases.

happie2shoot
07-06-2014, 12:22 AM
ask your question here,

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=72

and you will get a good answer.