PDA

View Full Version : Any Ruger P89 fans here

FLHTC
07-02-2014, 03:01 PM
I have some stuff I want to let go but don't know if there are any that are partial to the P series guns.

gkainz
07-02-2014, 03:13 PM
I still use a P90 ...

osteodoc08
07-02-2014, 03:29 PM
The P89 was my first handgun when I turned 21. I still shoot it from time to time and it is still 100% reliable for me after thousands of rounds. I lost count after 5-6K. Built like a tank. If I ever ran out of ammo, I could always use it as a club.

fishnbob
07-02-2014, 03:36 PM
I have used a P89 for 10 or more years now and it shoots good and is very reliable. I don't think it has ever hung up. I bought it used from my sil and he tried to wear it out and couldn't so it has to be tough. It is my bed gun, sits between the frame and the mattress with 15 rounds of reloads.

nagantguy
07-02-2014, 04:05 PM
Loved mine, first pistol I ever bought with my own money. Had some passed to me before that. One of the ones I pine after and wish I'd a kept her.

flyingmonkey35
07-02-2014, 05:17 PM
Was my first gun regret selling it to this day.

Want to sell yours?

double00
07-02-2014, 07:44 PM
i have a P94DC and i love it. i traded a 1911 for it years ago.

MT Gianni
07-02-2014, 08:02 PM
My second best day with it was the day I bought it the best was the day it went down the road. My trigger pull had to be around 12-15 lbs sa and da was off the charts. Best groups with cast were 4-6" @ 25 yards. CZ 75 that replaced it went to 2" groups and a lot lighter.

Lefty Red
07-02-2014, 08:49 PM
Its still an awesome pistol!
It would be one of the last pistols you would ever need to buy.
Jerry

dragonrider
07-02-2014, 08:53 PM
Mine is a P85, can't beat it.

roberts1
07-02-2014, 08:59 PM
Yes sir. Great shooter especially to teach a new shooter. Accurate and low recoil.

Digger
07-02-2014, 10:15 PM
P-91 .... been using one of Miha's molds the last few years ... just picked up another for the P-91 and my little Keltec ... what a contrast between pistols !
Yeah , built like a brick !!
Oh , and I almost forgot .. for the sub 2000 also ...

oilman041153
07-02-2014, 10:28 PM
i have a p95dc i bought at a gun show here in florida . it was a police trade in . i love it its my carry conceal gun . it works as if it was new . i only have 2 ten round mags that came with it and a 32 round mag i bought online for it ...

454PB
07-02-2014, 10:29 PM
I have a P-85, P-89, and a P-90. All are rock solid and nearly indestructible, but the P-90 is also very accurate.

GP100man
07-02-2014, 10:54 PM
I`m usually a revolver guy, but for fathers day I recieved a P345 ,even though it`s not exactly like the 89 it`s slowly growing on me with all the different trigger pulls & the decocker thingy.

It cleaned up nice & once cleaned up (I don`t think previous owner never cleaned it) it ate all I tried in it.
Settled on MPs 200 gr. HP but turn the pins & cast a flat point kinda boolit .

The front site was off center but I had good groups to the left , centered the front site & at 20yds. have`nt missed my 8" plate yet, it`s still gotta a few more rounds to digest & I need to practice more on drills (clearing , tap & rack, drawing while working the safety/decocker & drawing from concealment) before employeeing it in the sd/hd line up.

Overall it`s a keeper, a solid auto feeder & RUGER !!

Bullwolf
07-03-2014, 03:57 AM
My shooting buddy and I picked up a pair of Ruger P89's in the early 90's. One of them stainless, and one blued.

We read all the magazine articles back then regarding the durability and reliability of the P series pistols. I can still remember some of the torture tests they performed.

I also recall how well the P85 series held up as rentals guns at the range where I worked. Life as a rental gun was extremely hard on any firearm. It quickly weeded out the weaker designs, yet we rarely had any problems with the P85 and P89 pistols. Rarely the rentals guns would get sprayed off with a can of brake-clean when they looked really ugly from carbon build up. That was what passed for cleaning and maintenance. I never saw any of the rental guns ever get lubricated.

Today we still shoot the heck out of both those P89's, and they keep on going. The round count must be pretty high by now on both of em. The more they are fired, the better they seem to shoot. For a 9mm pistol, they were surprisingly accurate as well. The stainless P89 went back to Ruger once due to a slide galling issue at one point. (mostly cosmetic, it still functioned) Ruger fixed the pistol right up, and returned it as good as new.

Due to the success we had with the P89's, we picked up a Stainless P91 (P89 series) in 40 S&W shortly thereafter. That particular P91 was just junk. You could not get that P91 pistol to group with any weight 40 S&W load from 135-200 grains. Factory or hand-load, slow, fast, cast, jacketed, no matter what combination was tried, it would just shot huge embarrassing patterns instead of groups. You could miss a tin can a few feet away with a full magazine unless you got lucky. Put it on paper, and it was just horrible. Never did figure out what the problem was with that P91 Pistol. It really should have been sent back to Ruger to see if they could find out what was up with it, but instead was traded in for something else more desirable long ago.

I now regret not picking up a P90 in 45 ACP when they were all over the place. They were very durable guns, though somewhat blocky looking. The rentals would gobble up just about any kind of bullet that was thrown at them.

- Bullwolf