PDA

View Full Version : Need a Weber natural gas conversion

cheese1566
07-01-2014, 10:50 PM
I just got done refurbing a Weber Silver B three burner propane gas grill that someone had along the curb for free. This was made in 2000 or 2001.

Weber used to offer a natural gas conversion but not anymore.

Someone have an old gas NG manifold or conversion?

( not looking to the " drill out the orifices conversion" as there is a little bit more to it than that...)

Found a factory Weber NG manifold and valve assembly at Appliance Factory Parts .com . It was only $73 and I can swap back to LP if needed easy enough, plus I can use my NG hoses I saved from a previous grill.

I do have a couple valves and orifices (LP and NG) for an older Holland Grill if anyone needs them....

MT Gianni
07-02-2014, 12:27 AM
Natural gas would take largerer orifices and a regulator with higher flow lower pressure. All I have seen have been model specific not generic for one manufacturer. Most have involved an entire manifold change. Good luck with your search.

cheese1566
07-02-2014, 09:08 AM
Yep, I am hoping someone has an old Weber behind the shed.

I have two NG hoses from my previous Holland Grill. That one was easy enough as Holland Grill offered a kit to change the single valve and orifice.

MT Gianni
07-02-2014, 07:10 PM
I had a brain spasm last night, NG takes larger orifices. If you have to drill them out as a last resort I can get you the drill sizes from a btu chart.

dtknowles
07-02-2014, 10:12 PM
I did the drill out the orifices thing to an old grill when I had NG brought in to my house in FLA and it worked fine. It was a two burner/valve simple old school propane unit, used the propane reg and hose. It was still working after a few years of use when I sold the house. The guy who did the NG install ran the line to the grill and told me what size drill to use.

Tim

cheese1566
07-02-2014, 11:36 PM
Thanks guys!

I learned propane burns hotter and takes a smaller orifice. But one also has to look the valves, to see if they let gas at a proper rate. Otherwise your grill may be too hot or not get hot enough.

I ordered an actual Weber NG manifold for $73. Better safe than sorry. A little more than I wanted to spend, but I know these grills last forever...at least the old ones do. The one I am putting it in is already 14 years old and is in tiptop shape. I have a newer 3 burner Spirit E-310 that is only about 5 years old that I found second hand for $50 with two full tanks of propane. I suspect I will be able to possibly use the same manifold or at least the valves on it if I choose.

I am up to 6 Webers now in the last two months...fiancee thinks I have a new addiction!
Red 22.5" charcoal kettle (to be turned into a yard fire pit
Black 22.5" kettle ( to be built into a moveable cart so it don't blow away and have counter space)
Smokey Joe Tuck'N Carry (had this one for a few years and paid $2 for it at a garage sale)
Q220 portable gas grill
Spirit E-310 3 burner LP
Genesis Silver B 3 burner LP

I put a ton of those Weber Genesis grills together when I worked at an Ace Hardware from 1991-2002 in my previous life. I thought my boss was crazy when we got the first ones in. Who the heck would buy a $350 gas grill? They flew out the door! I will say, they were built to last and very easy to assemble compared to the $100 wallyworld specials. I do think the 14 year old Silver B is built better than my newer Spirit.

dtknowles
07-02-2014, 11:48 PM
yeah, buddy, you have a problem. Could be worse but I am not sure there is a cure.

Tim

cheese1566
07-20-2014, 09:27 AM
I found a factory NG manifold at appliancefactoryparts.com for $75. I was going to put it in the old girl but found it also fit my Spirit. The valves opened and aligned with the markings on the Spirit better.
Here is the old girl in the process. Going to go to the soon-to-be-father-in-law, so at least she will stay in the family!

The old Silver B was 14 years old and I think I may have actually assembled it when I worked at the hardware store years ago. It needed a new ignitor, thermometer, and flavorizer bars. I bought new SST bars and ignitor and swapped them in my Spirit.

762 shooter
07-22-2014, 07:33 AM
Nice collection.

Once you get a 2000 stainless performer, gas assist, you can stop.