PDA

View Full Version : COL is kinda short!!!

nekshot
07-01-2014, 04:28 PM
I have a brandnew 7mm mauser LR barrel in military profile I mounted and shot today. I noticed each cartridge closed alittle snug at end of bolt throw. I knew the brass was sized and I cut them a little short so I didn't worry as the load was on the lighter side. I then made a impression and found the col of the chamber cut is 2.221, factory is 2.235. This is fine for me but I always am concerned with the next person who might not know this. The barrel headspaces perfect it simply was cut with a shorter reamer. rifling start almost immediatly about 1/16 beyond case. No big throat on this one. Would you lengthen it to proper col? I guess I would be safest to rent a reamer as I don't trust myself and the lathe trying to cut the neck to proper length.

EMC45
07-01-2014, 04:38 PM
Ream it to length.

Multigunner
07-02-2014, 08:27 PM
Are you sure the chamber neck is throughly clean.My No.4 showed signs of excessive pressure till I made a tublar scraper from brass tubing split down one side and with teeth filed in the open end.After scraping away quite a lot of hardened fouling that looked like the laquer from an old phonograph record and lead prncil shavings there were no more flattened primers.Some fouling can be pushed back around the case neck , especially with milspec ammo with thick stout cases that don't expand as quickly as standard cases.It takes hundreds, perhaps thousands of rounds before the build up interferes with bullet release.In black powder days the fouling built up much more quickly, the Spencer carbines were issued with a bronze reamer to scrape out the chamber every so often while in combat.PSRenting a reamer can be very expensive. It would probably cost less to have a gunsmith ream the chamber for you.