PDA

View Full Version : "RCBS 38-148-WC DE" mold. Looking for informations

alb87
07-01-2014, 11:02 AM
Hi folks,

I recently got a used WC mold for the 38 Spec/357 Mag originally realized by RCBS.

It is named "RCBS 38-148-WC DE" and it differ from the standard "38-148-WC" (picture encolsed) offered by RCBS by its flat face.

I would like to know some informations about this variation, when it was introduced, when it was produced and removed from production.
Unfortunately this molt doesn't have its box, so I'm unable to understand a correct year range for its production.

Thanks in advance.

GLL
07-01-2014, 11:25 AM
How about a close-up photo of a bullet cast from your new mold?
I have never seen that one before but will keep an eye out !
Looks like a good one !

Jerry

alb87
07-01-2014, 12:05 PM
You are right GGL.
I received this mold today and will cast some bullets this weekend, if everithing will be allright.

Beside the flat face, the bullets will differ for their center portion/band which will be longer than the other bands.

Of course I'll enclose the range report as soon as I'll test these bullets.

BTW, if you has never seen this particular mold before it is well possible that I obtained an uncommon mold.
I'm really fond of WC bullets and I'm glad to have added this example to my collection.

Mk42gunner
07-01-2014, 03:11 PM
I do not know when they made this mold; but it looks to be a fairly standard double ended wadcutter, hence the DE in the designation.

You should be able to load the bullet either sprue up or down, but one way may be more accurate.

Robert

GLL
07-01-2014, 03:22 PM
alb87:

Did you find your RCBS DE mold in Italy ? Yours is the very first I have seen !

Jerry

Dale53
07-01-2014, 03:42 PM
alb87;
I don't have an exact date for you. However, the dbl ended w/c molds started showing up after the introduction of the S&W Model 52 target auto loading pistol. It was in .38 Special and required a flush seated bullet (end of the bullet flush with the mouth of the case) due to limitations of the magazine length. It was a superb pistol for NRA Target competition and that bullet and similar ones cast from Lyman and H&G molds showed up about the same time.

I have the H&G mould (a six cavity mould that weighs nearly five pounds with handles:groner:). It casts beautifully and shoots extremely well. To get the best out of the mould when using in revolvers, Ransom Rest tests have shown that the best results come with a bit more powder than typically seen in hollow base wadcutters. For revolvers, I seat the front band out of the case and lightly crimp into the first (front lube groove). For best accuracy I seat the bullet with the sprue at the nose of the loaded round. This insures a perfect base. It looks a bit ugly but it shoots better. I only lube the lube groove closest to the base (again, it shoots better). The powder charge is 3.2 grs of Bullseye (or equivalent of other fast burning powders to give a similar velocity). I have successfully used 231, 7625, 5066, and Clays (adjusting each different powder to give the same velocity as 3.2 Bullseye).

You will enjoy that bullet mould. I have shot a good number of small game animals with this combination. Cottontail rabbits, snowshoe rabbits, and grouse, etc. with excellent results.

If you use that bullet in an S&W Model 52, you will need to seat it flush with the case mouth and crimp over the bevel. Reducing the powder charge of 3.2 grs to 3.0 grs will give similar results in the auto pistol.

Dale53

Le Loup Solitaire
07-01-2014, 10:56 PM
+1 on the previous post by Dale 53 with regard to the use of the bullet with the SW 52. I have been using the H&G #251 for many years with good results. Lube in one groove only. Bullet seated flush with case mouth. Have worked with Bullseye loads, but found that 2.6 grs of 700X worked well. Very slight crimp at the bevel. Excellent Bullseye Comp load. LLS

alb87
07-02-2014, 02:11 AM
alb87:

Did you find your RCBS DE mold in Italy ? Yours is the very first I have seen !

Jerry

Not in Italy but here in old Europe.

I love WC bullets. In My S&W 14s, 686 and other 38 revolver I've always had great results. I'll show the accuracy reasults in another thread.

My plan is to collect as many variations of .38 WC molds as possible, with patience and luck. It's an ambitious project, with many molds very uncommon such as the "Himmelwright".

alb87
07-02-2014, 02:16 AM
Mk42, Dale, Le Loup.
Thanks for the informations.

I'll try your suggestions and will let you know.

Over here in Italy bullseye, Unique and other powder commonly available in the U.S. are difficult to find, but we have other powder of the same type.
I've learned the "correct" loads for various revolver with these powders and various bullets and will probably use my previous loads as a "start".

Beside that, is there anyone to contact at RCBS to know more details on this particular mold, or anyone else?

captaint
07-02-2014, 03:29 PM
alb87 - I can tell you this - the folks at RCBS have always been very helpful in whatever I asked. If there's any way they can get info for you, I'll bet they will. Good luck. Mike

Terrence Clarke
07-02-2014, 05:46 PM
I bought mine new in 1987 and used as above in 357 mag revolver with 357 cases and 3.7 grains of bullseye,in a ransome rest ,would shoot groups at 25 mts better than any hollow based wadcutter.

alb87
07-07-2014, 03:17 AM
As promised I attach a couple of pictures of the resulting bullets, as cast.

rintinglen
07-07-2014, 03:48 AM
That was RCBS's answer to the Lyman 35863. I don't know when they stopped making them, but I know they were available in the early 80's, because I bought one before my daughter was born in 81. They listed load data for this boolit for the 38 S&W, the 38 Special, and the .357 Magnum in their Cast Bullet manual number 1, copyright 1986.
Their 38 special data looks to be pretty warm.