PDA

View Full Version : Bisbee & Naco, AZ

Echo
06-30-2014, 08:00 PM
Saturday I went on a guided tour of the above towns. Tour guide (Margo) had written a book about Bisbee, and had lived at both locations, so lots of stuff was discussed. Bisbee is all up and down, houses built on sides of cliffs (almost), one street I went down was on about a 20* grade - glad the brakes were OK! Saw Brewery Gulch, where local Professionals plied their trade, had a beer at the St. Elmo's Bar, nearby, and can just imagine the stories that had their start there. Lavender Pit was the largest open pit mine in the world at one time.109367
Then on to Naco, right ON the border. And saw Pershing's camp, where Gen. Pershing bivouacked prior to the Punitive Expedition into Mexico, going after Pancho Villa. The buildings are still standing, and were actually occupied until the 1960's, having been abandoned by the Army many years before.109414

All in all, a great day!

Echo
07-01-2014, 12:08 AM
Dang it, it wouldn't accept the picture of my tour guide and me! Here 'tis...

DoubleAdobe
07-01-2014, 10:00 AM
Glad you enjoyed it, Echo. Careful making eye contact in Elmo's though,hehe. Your guide prolly warned you about that.
That old pit is a big old hole in the ground. And Camp Newell is finally getting some preservation attention as well.

Surculus
07-01-2014, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the post! I've been meaning to visit Bisbee for 30+ years... must get to it! My maternal grandfather taught school there before going back east to get a principal's certificate [think "MBA for teachers"], marrying & then moving to Pasadena to teach graphic arts [first person to teach silk-screen printing in a public school west of the Miss, according to legend. SScn printing was something of a "trade secret" at the time...]

Always used to love looking at his old slides of Bisbee & environs thru the stereopticon when I was growing up... :)

Bent Ramrod
07-01-2014, 09:54 PM
Bisbee has the most salubrious climate in the world. I remember seeing a sign to that effect on one of the buildings in the city.

Eating lunch at The Copper Queen Hotel is like stepping back in time.

Is the One-Book Bookstore still in business?

WILCO
07-02-2014, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the update Echo!

Echo
07-03-2014, 03:17 PM
Eating lunch at The Copper Queen Hotel is like stepping back in time.

Is the One-Book Bookstore still in business?

Will do the Copper Queen next time, and will also check re the Bookstore.

OBIII
07-04-2014, 02:31 AM
Been to Bisbee several times. Ex-wifes father lived there up until his death. Walked the streets a few time. Beautiful area to walk around in.

OB