PDA

View Full Version : To alter or not to alter, that is the question...

JohnH
06-30-2014, 05:43 PM
What exactly makes a milsurp rifle one that should not be altered. I posted recently about having been given a MK4 Lee Enfield. I finally got to shoot it a little this weekend, and to say the sights suck is an understatement. One could say they are useable, and they are that, but little more. I've seen a no gunsmith scope mount, but I'd really prefer to keep this rifle open sighted. I do like the peep, I have a sporterized 1893 Spanish Mauser with a Williams peep sight and enjoy it very much. I'd like to put the same sight on the Enfield, but I know that once one starts to drill and tap holes in the receiver, any historic value the rifle has is gone.

All that said, I also know that there are rifles of historic value and rifles that are just rifles. So what makes the difference? Also to be considered is the fact that there are fewer and fewer of these rifles around and every one that is altered diminishes the pool heritage that exists today. So how do you guys approach this problem?

RustyReel
06-30-2014, 06:47 PM
I use economics. If the rifle you are considering is a complete, numbers matching rifle in excellent condition OR if is a rifle in lesser condition that you can document some history on (ie it was a the battle of xyz) then I would not alter it. I would sell it (assuming I wanted a sporter) and buy something more appropriate for altering...or one someone else has already altered. I know a lot of people disagree, but if it a run of the mill, beat to ****, mismatched rifle then I have no problem altering it to fit my needs/wants. Diminishing the pool doesn't bother me as there are still probably hundreds of thousand of those rifles out there. Just my opinion.

jonk
06-30-2014, 07:31 PM
I use economics. If the rifle you are considering is a complete, numbers matching rifle in excellent condition OR if is a rifle in lesser condition that you can document some history on (ie it was a the battle of xyz) then I would not alter it. I would sell it (assuming I wanted a sporter) and buy something more appropriate for altering...or one someone else has already altered. I know a lot of people disagree, but if it a run of the mill, beat to ****, mismatched rifle then I have no problem altering it to fit my needs/wants. Diminishing the pool doesn't bother me as there are still probably hundreds of thousand of those rifles out there. Just my opinion.
Just keep telling yourself that. The day was a G33/40 or unmolested 50/70 Trapdoor was just run of the mill, beat up, common junk. Now un-messed with ones are worth a lot of coin while sporters are worth a quarter as much.

Look at mojo sights. They make a great peep that doesn't alter the rifle. Dunno if they do an Enfield or not.

Scharfschuetze
06-30-2014, 09:58 PM
There are a hundred and one bubbed Enfields out there that go for next to nothing. Compare their cost to that of an original unaltered Lee Enfield. If you must, why not sell your's and then buy a reasonably done sporter and pocket the change?

Nice Power Point show on the Enfield sights Phineas.

Speaking of sights, here are a three that I use on Enfields.

texassako
06-30-2014, 10:38 PM
It is your rifle and you should do what you want to enjoy it, but there are so many bubba specials out there that I find it a reason to own 2. If I like shooting the original, I hunt down an altered one with a good bore.

Larry Gibson
06-30-2014, 11:20 PM
Scharfshuetzer

That one on the right fit my C No4 Mk1*?

Larry Gibson

leadman
07-01-2014, 12:27 AM
If your MK4 has the flip style peep on it you may want to find one of the ladder type as I think they work very well.
I think it was SARCO that recently advertised one of the Enfield rear target sights in Shotgun news. Probably on their website.

zuke
07-01-2014, 07:06 AM
I've used a pop rivet to make the hole smaller

Scharfschuetze
07-01-2014, 03:53 PM
Larry,

Yep, it would. It's an AJ Parker that screws into the original aperture on the sight and then gives good deflection adjustments. Another member here noted that AJ Parker is no longer in business, so I guess I'd better not let you near it! :)

andy h
07-01-2014, 04:35 PM
Parker Hale made Target sights for the Enfield rifle.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Parker-Hale-PH5C-Sight-/400733912944?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingS ports_ET&hash=item5d4d9a3f70