PDA

View Full Version : Lee 4 Hole Turret "Seconds"

jim4065
01-19-2008, 08:48 PM
Just a heads-up. Lee has these for $6.00 each (better hurry - only 500 left!) I love my Lee Classic Turret so much that I bought some extras - just in case.

lonewolf5347
01-19-2008, 09:02 PM
are they new or seconds
have a link you can post if they are new

Johnch
01-19-2008, 09:57 PM
http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/cart.cgi?1138320844.1807=99269

Listed as seaconds , but last time I ordered a second from Lee
It just had a paint run

So it might be worth a phone call to find out the scoop if you are interested

John

jim4065
01-19-2008, 10:39 PM
John,

Your link takes us to your shopping cart (I think). This one may work better: http://www.leeprecision.com/html/catalog/surplus.html

However - What's a Speed Die, how do they work, and do you recommend them? I've seen 'em listed from time to time, but can't seem to get information on them (including from Lee's website under Products).

MT Gianni
01-20-2008, 12:53 AM
I bought some 3 & 4 hole turrets after Christmas and they look and work as new. I couldn't see the flaws that made them seconds. Gianni

35remington
01-20-2008, 02:58 PM
jim4065, the Speed Die is a single die that performs all operations on a single case from decapping to flaring to seating to crimping. It is intended to be used on single stage presses where it is tedious to screw the dies in and out for each step.

If you load on something other than single stage (turret or progressive that can hold more than one die at a time) it is not for you as three dies will better accomodate all loading steps to produce a finished cartridge.

Like I said, best for single stage users.

Lee
01-20-2008, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the heads-up!! I got mine ordered today just before they ran out[smilie=1:
And with a name like Lee, how can ya go wrong??..........:wink:

Scrounger
01-20-2008, 05:09 PM
Guys, I'd compare prices before I ordered "seconds" from Lee. I bought my Classic Cast Press cheaper from Midway than Lee asks for their seconds. It's probably true for everything on their list because they have a contract with their distributors not to undercut them in price.

Le Loup Solitaire
01-21-2008, 12:51 AM
Lee stopped production of these as of 2007, but they are still available thru Lee under the "seconds" listing. They are however new. They come in cals; 38 special, 357 Mag, 9mm, 44 Mag and 45ACP. They work very well as previously stated in a single stage setup. I use them sometimes when I do not want to disturb an already existing arrangement and they produce good ammo just as well as with a usual 3 die set. You can also find them used sometimes on E-Bay for lower prices.

jim4065
01-23-2008, 06:49 PM
Got my turret "seconds" today. The mirror-like top finish is marred next to two of the holes on each turret, but absolutely no effect on functionality. If you have a four hole Lee turret press, I really recommend getting a few extra of these. What the hell, you know you'll use more cartridges someday. :Fire:

Ranch Dog
01-24-2008, 09:35 AM
Guys, I'd compare prices before I ordered "seconds" from Lee. I bought my Classic Cast Press cheaper from Midway than Lee asks for their seconds. It's probably true for everything on their list because they have a contract with their distributors not to undercut them in price.

The $6 is a good buy. They are going to cost about $10 at the internet supply houses.

Sam Carp
01-29-2008, 09:06 PM
Does the 4 hole turret press index as good as the 3 hole? I've used a 3 hole for 20 years, for the price I don't think it can be beaten. What do you do with the 4th hole.

Sam

JSnover
01-29-2008, 09:10 PM
I put a boolit sizing die in mine. Some powder measures will alos fit but they might be a little crowded.

MT Gianni
01-30-2008, 01:18 AM
Does the 4 hole turret press index as good as the 3 hole? I've used a 3 hole for 20 years, for the price I don't think it can be beaten. What do you do with the 4th hole.

Sam

You have to buy the 4 hole update kit for the 3 hole press. New rachets & base rod. G

lathesmith
01-30-2008, 08:55 PM
Sam, I was also concerned about indexing, but in my experience the Classic Cast 4-hole press indexed better than the 3-hole standard turret press I once owned. The factory crimp die goes in the forth hole for me, so I have a sizer, powder measure/case expander, bullet seater, and factory crimp. Spare turrets are must-have if you load several calibers.
lathesmith

13Echo
01-30-2008, 10:51 PM
Since I like to tumble and inspect cases after I size and then hand prime I find all I really need is a three hole turret - Expand/powder measure, seater, and crimp. I keep hoping Lee will make a three hole conversion kit for the Classic. Somehow I'm usually going the opposite direction of the rest of the world. Gets to be a habit after a while.

Jerry Liles

Phil
01-30-2008, 11:45 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I just ordered two of the four hole presses at 2240 hrs, 30 Jan. They took the order ok, we'll have to see what happens I guess. Hope they aren't out yet.

Cheers,

Phil

jim4065
01-31-2008, 12:11 AM
Since I like to tumble and inspect cases after I size and then hand prime I find all I really need is a three hole turret - Expand/powder measure, seater, and crimp. I keep hoping Lee will make a three hole conversion kit for the Classic. Somehow I'm usually going the opposite direction of the rest of the world. Gets to be a habit after a while.

Jerry Liles

One of these days you might want to start playing with Lyman M Dies. They seem to stress the case mouth less. If I had a 5th hole I'd put in a powder cop.