PDA

View Full Version : Rio hulls

Combat Diver
06-30-2014, 12:33 PM
Any one have load data for the Rio plastic based hulls with WAA12 wads and Unique/Red Dot 1 1/8 oz?

Thanks,
CD

trapper9260
06-30-2014, 02:03 PM
For me I do not worry much about the maker of the hull but if it is paper base or plastic base hull and go from there and use what ever data that will work for what I have .I also use the data from Lee that They use for there Lee Load all it have just the data for Paper and Plastic base then it is up to you of what you use for a hull and they have the powder listed.

gds45
06-30-2014, 02:20 PM
PDF file from Rio

Combat Diver
06-30-2014, 03:26 PM
Thanks gds45, thats what I was looking for. Picked up lots of the Rios from the skeet range this weekend.

CD

Rattlesnake Charlie
06-30-2014, 04:27 PM
I didn't see anything on the 00BRIO.pdf00BRIO.pdf page that showed using WWAA12 wads with RIO hulls. That site only shows BPI wads, and I can't find any directly correlation between BPI VP20 wads and WWAA12 wads. Proceed carefully. Shotshell component interchangeability is not as friendly as metallic cartridge.

FullTang
06-30-2014, 04:59 PM
I didn't see anything on the 00BRIO.pdf00BRIO.pdf page that showed using WWAA12 wads with RIO hulls. That site only shows BPI wads, and I can't find any directly correlation between BPI VP20 wads and WWAA12 wads. Proceed carefully. Shotshell component interchangeability is not as friendly as metallic cartridge.
Quite right---although you could use the WAA12 wad in any of the VP loads, and I can guarantee you'll have lower pressure in every case. Probably way to low in most cases. You also won't get the stack height right at all from this data.

Actually, I think the PT/VP wads are a better choice for Rio hulls, and seal the powder and gases much better than a Win wad would, but I can understand why you want to use what you have.

If you look in the Alliant manual (free online) you can use Fiocchi data for Rio hulls, but be warned: the primer pockets in Rio hulls are the biggest in the business, so any American primer will fall right out. Nobel Sport and Rio primers work fine; Fiocchi primers sometimes work, but Rem, Win, and CCI just fall right out.

Best of luck!

gds45
06-30-2014, 05:44 PM
This is for fio and fed but as FullTang (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?33600-FullTang) said fio data can be used in rio. Page 2 has some red dot/promo loads using WAA12 wads. I also agree with FullTang (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?33600-FullTang) that "PT/VP wads are a better choice for Rio hulls, and seal the powder and gases much better than a Win wad". Rios are sw hulls and seal better with wads made for sw.:-o That being said the WAA12 will work as long as your stack height is correct.

skeettx
06-30-2014, 06:28 PM
I have found the need for the European sized primer in Rio hulls

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=207188

Combat Diver
07-01-2014, 07:46 AM
Thanks again guys, might just have to order the correct wads and primers next time as I'll be out of WAA12s (keep with my AA/Rem hulls)So far acquired over 300 of the Rio and Fiochhi hulls and more coming this weekend.

CD

trapper9260
07-01-2014, 02:40 PM
just to let you know there is some hulls have 209 primers and some are european primers.I do not have a list of them but if you do a search you will find the list.If I remember right the euro ones are bigger then the 209.