PDA

View Full Version : 300 blackout dies for swagging?

wacki
06-30-2014, 12:23 PM
Best place to get 300 BLK swagging dies?

Gunnut 45/454
07-01-2014, 01:33 AM
In other words your looking for .30 caliber swag set! Good luck in your quest, I sure hope you have same cash saved up cause .30 caliber setup is not going to be cheap as you need a beefy press for those big bullets!

wacki
07-01-2014, 08:35 AM
Is walnut hill not enough?

Reload3006
07-01-2014, 10:00 AM
I make great 30 caliber projectiles with my walnut hill set up

just bill
07-02-2014, 08:50 PM
Best place to get 300 BLK swagging dies?

Duke in Florida and others are using BT's 30 cal from bullet casings successfully. They are using Rock Chucker and Lee Classic Cast mods if memory serves me correctly. There are threads showing some targets and they shoot decent, that is depending on the accuracy you are looking for. Follow BT's and Duke's threads for more info.

Bill

reed1911
07-03-2014, 02:03 AM
That is an open ended question really, what kind of bullets do you want to make? 220g VLD style? 240g 6S? or a 240g round nose for use in hunting?

If your answer is #1 or #2, you'd be money ahead not to make your own. Lookit' the .300AAC/.300Whisper does not benifit much from increased precision that those type of dies will produce, or at least not enough to make the difference on 100yd shots. You will not be shooting the .300W out to 500yds or beyond. If you want the dies to make a bullet that is not available, yep that makes sense. If you want to do it for the challenge, go for it, it is well worth it so long as you gain enjoyment from the hurdles. Got some other longer range .30's you also want to feed? again, yep, do it. But do not kid yourself that you can get better accuracy in the short distance you'll be shooting this caliber over what you will get from a Berger, Sierra, Nosler, or Hornady bullet.

I'm not trying to pee on your idea, but you'll be spending a good 500.00+ on the full die set + what you need for the press assuming you do not have one yet.
For quality at a lower cost, BT's dies will do everything you need and not break the bank no take 2+ years to get in your hand. Think long and hard on what bullet you want as you don't want to have a PF die cut only to find you wanted a VLD rather than a 7s.

rossrods
07-03-2014, 11:47 AM
Hey wacki and all others been sick with border line pneumonia and a bunch of spine procedures. Sorry for the long absence all. Back to the 300. I love my dies from RCE and my perfect balance of a bullet is a 170grain flat base or RBT hollow point. I'm using imr 4227 and pushing right at 1590-1600 fps with 15.7grns of imr powder. This set up to me is perfect for light recoil(hense spine issues) and plenty strong out to 125 yards maybe 150 holding into account BDC. Great black gun set up to replace the 30/30 with a modern platform. If that's what you like. I'm in georgia with trees every 40 yards. 100 yards here is like 300 somewhere else, lol. On the flip side you can use the 170 grain bullets in your 308 also. This is my pick for the best do all bullet. I know I should've stuck to the 168 load data but that's what I did things at and it's been perfect. I've built some bullets out to 208 grains with a funky soft point look that I know I could shoot sub sonic but I've had way to much fun with the 170grainers. When I have time I will experiment. Oh at the 208 grainers I use the same dies with corbin 1.30 jackets. Just my unprofessional input LOL