PDA

View Full Version : Pieta 1860 Colt Replica

TXGunNut
06-30-2014, 01:17 AM
Been wanting an 1860 Colt replica since I first laid my hands on one, on top of the historic significance it is one sweet-looking revolver. Cabelas had my favorite shorts and the Pieta 1860 replica on sale so I figured it I didn't like the way the gun felt I'd at least have some new shorts...and if they were out of shorts in my size I'd have a new toy. Turns out the display model was a bit rough but one from the warehouse was quite good. Fit and finish was consistent with my other Italian replicas; quite good.
I have an 1858 Remington replica from a friend's estate I've enjoyed quite a bit over the years, loads of fun to shoot. Most days it shoots as well as my SAA's. I understand the 1860 Colt is an even better gun than the 1858 Remmy, looking forward to finding out.
Sorry, no pics at this time. Haven't even wiped the packing oil off yet.
Oh yeah, they had my shorts in stock.:bigsmyl2:

Beagle333
06-30-2014, 01:52 AM
It is a better gun than the Remmy!!! :D The balance is awesome, the smooth streamlined look beats any of the other C&Bs, hands down.
Add a few accessories and you have the makin's of a fun day at the range! :cool:
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/shutupandjump/Current%20guns/greatdayahead.jpg

bedbugbilly
06-30-2014, 08:38 AM
Hmm . . better than a Remington? Now c'mon folks, that's a pretty broad statement! LOL

Congrats on your new Colt Army! You'll love it. I had several many years ago and then switched to shooting Navies - my favorite is the 1851. I have A Remy Navy though and it's a good shooter. I will admit, the Remy is a lot heavier in the hand!

What's interesting about the Colt Army and the Remington NMA is that during the Civil War, Colt was selling the 1860 Colt Army to the government at $25.00 per unit (pistol). When Remington came out with theirs mid-war, they undercut Colt's price and sole theirs to the government at $12.50 per unit.

I like all the BP revolvers but my personal preference is still the 1851 Navy. I have a 1861 Navy that is NIB and un-shot - it is the same design as the 1860 Army - a beautiful revolver. As far as a "classic" historical firearm - I don't think you can beat the lines of the 1860 Army - sleek, well balanced - whenever I see one, it just conjures up visions and speaks "Civil War".

Enjoy that new Army! And glad you found your shorts as well! :-)

bob208
06-30-2014, 04:23 PM
it mite look prettier then a Remington. but better look at the two side by side. by construction the remington is stronger. after the war between the states most northern solders bought the Remington. I go by the guys that used them for real.

TXGunNut
06-30-2014, 09:58 PM
I know the story of the Remington top strap and the 1873 Colt but I really like the lines of the 1860. The Remington does appear to be stronger but for my purposes I doubt it matters much. Got the packing oil cleaned off and relubed with something suitable. Gun is quite a bit slicker and more positive now but the hammer fall seems a bit anemic by cartridge revolver standards.
Snagged my (Uberti) Remmy out of the safe for a side-by-side and the Remmy does indeed look more substantial but weight and balance seem very close. Noticed more similarites than I expected, both have very nice polish, bluing and fit is quite good on both. The Remmy seems a bit smoother but I suspect the Colt will smooth out in time. I thought the Colt was prettier than the Remington but side by side now I really can't say.

TXGunNut
08-03-2014, 05:15 PM
Finally got to shoot the 1860 Colt! Shot very well, even made Texassako shoot it a little. Cylinder a bit tight, shaved even .451 balls. Sure shot nice, tho.

GOPHER SLAYER
08-03-2014, 05:57 PM
The only thing the 1860 Colt Army has over the 1858 Remington is the angle of the pistol grip. The Remington is just too straight. I had one and no matter how tight I gripped it the pistol rotated in my hand. It also had the best trigger pull of any pistol I have ever owned. When Remington designed the 1875 cartridge revolver they put a fantastic grip on it. I wish I had bought one when they were relatively cheap.

TXGunNut
08-03-2014, 11:09 PM
I like the angle of the Colt but didn't shoot the Remington today. The Colt does seem a bit more comfortable. Both have good trigers but the Remington is smoother and the timing seems more positive.

doc1876
08-04-2014, 02:43 PM
target looks great. I think the lockup difference that you feel is due to the smaller cylinder stop on the Remington, kind of like a Ruger. They just seem to feel and sound more positive. However, I own several 1860s, 2 Walkers, a bunch of peacemakers, and no Remingtons. I had one years ago, and just never really liked it for some reason.
Good shooting, gun looks good too, keep it going.

jimb16
08-04-2014, 03:48 PM
Personally, I've had several of each over the years. I just like the feel of the Colts better. These days I own only Colts, and it has nothing to do with the name. They just feel better in my hands.

TXGunNut
08-07-2014, 10:28 PM
I think they're both going to the range again this weekend, should go ahead and shoot both to compare. Shooting buddy had an 1875 Remington in 38 Spl that apparently needs shooting. Seems I have a pretty good supply of match grade .38 fodder. Could be fun.

Bent Ramrod
08-12-2014, 11:42 AM
A friend and I started our pistol shooting with cap and ball pistols decades ago. I bought an 1860 Army replica and he bought the 1858 Remington replica, both from Navy Arms. At normal pistol distances with the standard sights and black powder, there was no particular difference in accuracy or ruggedness we could see. (This was way before the Target Model Remington was offered.) I stopped counting after 1500 shots and a lot of those round balls and boolits were cast of lino/wheelweight range scrap. (We were young and ignorant. Also impoverished.) Tough on loading linkages and arbor wedges; IMHO harder on the gun than the actual shooting.

With my Colt clone I could get 10 cylinderfuls fired before the cylinder started dragging on the arbor because of fouling. A quick takedown and wipe with a damp cloth would allow maybe three cylinderfuls more, and then it was time for major cleaning. The Remington clone would start dragging after the third cylinderful and had to be constantly taken apart and the axle dunked in water to keep going for even a few cylinders more.

I eventually had to get a new wedge, but I had a lot more shots per range session than he did. Old Sam Colt did a lot of work configuring the surfaces in front of his cylinders to duct the gas and fouling away from driving into the arbor bearing. The Company continued this work with the cylinder bushing on the Single Action Army when it came out. Some of the patents along these lines are used as illustrations in (IIRC) R. L. Wilson's books. I don't think any of the other companies even gave the issue a thought.

snowwolfe
08-12-2014, 12:14 PM
How accurate are the Pieta's? Do they shoot to the point of aim at around 25 yards? I been thinking about buying one to use during muzzle loading deer season.