PDA

View Full Version : Oh MY! Easy peasy.........

prs
06-29-2014, 11:18 AM
Is it really this easy, or am I dreaming! Despite the high humidity, I could wait no longer. I took my Black and Decker oven out of its box, I put the non stick foil on the tray. I put a layer of about three deep of the black plastic BBs into the bottom of a #5 plastic single serving yogurt cup. I added 25 453-200-SWC hollow point boolits cast from NOE mold with 96-2-2 alloy and I tablespoonful of PBtP Super Durable Gold Nugget paint powder. Used the lid of another larger #5 container just held on by my fingers. I shook it like a rattle can of paint for about 2 minutes and saw blotchy coating, I swirled it in one direction only for another 2 minutes and found a thick evenly coated group of BBs and boolits. I dipped my forceps into the tub to coat the tips. I grasped the first boolit lightly and dumped the excess powder out of the hollow point, back into the tub, then set the boolit upon the foil covered tray.

The forceps did not even mark the powder coat! How is that possible?!?!?! I did all 25 and repeated the process 3 more times to have a tray fully covered by 100 fluffy looking boolits. I lifted the tray and some boolits slid against each other, "OH FUDGE", (or something like that). I re-arranged them and NO HARM DONE! The powder is totally attracted to the lead! Baked, in the house, at 400F for 25 minutes (the oven cycled after the first 5 minutes) so the bake was really only 20 minutes. They are gorgeous, but thinly coated. I probably do not need to re-coat, but I plan to just to see how the process of re-coating works-out. So, later this afternoon; I will do all again. I don't do pics, but maybe my daughter will help me post the final result; good - bad - or fugly.

Some characteristics may depend upon the powder used, but has anyone else notice that swirling the tub is better than shaking the tub? I do not recall reading that here. Thanks to all of you who have blazed the trail for us Johnny Come Latelys.

prs

11B-101ABN
06-29-2014, 02:00 PM
I agree with the swirling tub too, not only does it coat better, I have not broken any bowls since I adopted this "less violent" method of coating.

Beagle333
06-29-2014, 02:04 PM
I think it must be just dependent on the static in your environment. I have to shake the heck out of mine to get the charge built up, then I can swirl to knock off the excess powder and even out the coat. But unless I shake, I don't have a solid coat so that I can swirl it 'til it smoothes out.:cool:

500MAG
06-29-2014, 02:12 PM
I prefer mine swirled not shaken. Maybe it has to do with the static charge being built up with the ASBB's.

kungfustyle
06-29-2014, 02:18 PM
I was floored how easy it was. The boolits come out looking great, can't wait to get to the range.

prs
06-29-2014, 02:23 PM
Here is what happened, photo a bit katty-whompers. There are some pre-coated specimens too.

http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg621/Pigeonroostslim/c2ab9d50-08ea-4c57-8535-b1d530106695.jpg (http://s1247.photobucket.com/user/Pigeonroostslim/media/c2ab9d50-08ea-4c57-8535-b1d530106695.jpg.html)

Oh my, again! Looks like I took good ole cast lead boolits and turned them into bad ole copper condom bullets!

prs

prs
06-29-2014, 02:31 PM
I had to get my daughter to take that photo for me, I have no clue as to how to do that. Such a computer dunce!

The humidity in the house was 70% and it was/is raining cats and dogs out side. That is two coats. The rounds are 45ACP with 5gr 700X. The boolits were .453" before coating and .454" after, then I sized in a nominal .452 die that always leaves my boolits at .4525" or as close as I can measure. Like that old song, "...and they say we'll have some fun if it stops raining."

prs

shaune1022
06-29-2014, 02:43 PM
Shake or swirl? I do both, swirl on the carpet for a few seconds then shake a few times and repeat. Using the carpet to build up the static charge only takes seconds.

prs
06-29-2014, 04:25 PM
Shaune, first time I have heard that trick! Is that your original idea. Sure makes sense given the shock I get in the winter time from carpet charge.

I shot 50 rounds of the above. No trouble hitting steel plates and no trouble cleaning the gun. Just powder residue and no leading or PC remnants. Looked for fragments with PC under the targets, but none found. Daughter asked if I looked at the surface of the targets? Dooooohhhh.

Got PBtP Durable Blue and PBtP Durable Wet Black cooking right now. Gonna try second coat of gold over the black of a few, just for $#its 'n giggles.

prs

guncheese
06-29-2014, 05:12 PM
i had thought about the carpet swirl before
last night i was having trouble with some boolits i had "delubed" so i could coat them
as the hard wax carp that ships on commercial bullets doesnt work anyway

500MAG
06-29-2014, 05:25 PM
I've been using the bowl attached to the top of my tumbler and it must create a heck of a lot of static with the ASBB's. I was doing great with the swirl but we have had so much rain that I was getting poor results. Now, the PC sticks like glue.

prs
06-29-2014, 08:00 PM
500MAG, are you using a #5 bowl within the regular tumbler HDPE bowl or just using the stock tumbler bowl itself. I suspect the plastic balls would make the charge.

prs

500MAG
06-29-2014, 08:04 PM
500MAG, are you using a #5 bowl within the regular tumbler HDPE bowl or just using the stock tumbler bowl itself. I suspect the plastic balls would make the charge.

prs
I use a #5 bowl that I drilled a small hole in. I wing nut it down on the lid of my vib tumbler on the bolt that is sticking thru the tumbler lid.

prs
06-29-2014, 08:12 PM
I use a #5 bowl that I drilled a small hole in. I wing nut it down on the lid of my vib tumbler on the bolt that is sticking thru the tumbler lid.

Sounds like the plan. Thanks!

prs

Thompsoncustom
06-29-2014, 08:23 PM
I just throw it in my electric tumbler bowl works great, got a handful of airsoft bb's in there also.

Leatherhead Bullets
06-30-2014, 01:44 AM
Just a note of caution. In the original post, it was mentioned that the Boolits were baked in the house. This practice may not be healthy for you or your family. Whether it be PC or Hi-tek, the off gassing from the melting / bonding materials is not good. This should only be done in an over that will not be used again for cooking food. Btw, I prefer the swirl method as well. Those HP do look good.

prs
06-30-2014, 01:44 PM
Idaho, it is a dedicated oven. I could detect no odor or smoke, but my daughter said she could smell the cook-off. Guess I will have to change my evil ways.

prs

xacex
06-30-2014, 01:57 PM
Is it just me, or does the powder coat smell a little like blueberry when it cooks off? Every time I go back into the garage while cooking a batch, or open the oven I get a blueberry smell. And no, it is not just with the blue powder coat the black I have from the ebay fellow smells the same.

ghh3rd
06-30-2014, 04:59 PM
Every time I go back into the garage while cooking a batch, or open the oven I get a blueberry smell. If you're using a used oven, perhaps the last thing cooked in it was a blueberry pie :-)

xacex
06-30-2014, 06:04 PM
Hehe, you know you might have something there. It was an old used oven.

bangerjim
06-30-2014, 06:10 PM
A big SECOND on NOT baking in the house! Some of the off-gassing products you cannot smell, but they are there for you and your whole family and pets to breathe in for hours.

Just be on the safe side and move you oven outside to bake your boolits.

bangerjim

CGT80
06-30-2014, 09:35 PM
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k484/CGT80/IMG_20140629_235127_543.jpg

Powder coating is easy. I got blue, red, green, and pink from Smoke, on this forum. Those are 460 mag cases with an MP 270 SAA round hollow point plain base, over 10.0 grains of trail boss. I used up the PC boolits and then used some that had Cred from white label. I really like the Cred, but the PC was so nice and smooth and not sticky. I didn't like the way my 30 cal boolits worked with the PC process, so those will still get Cred. Rifle boolits are a pain to stand up and I am too OCD to lay them down to bake them.

I want to get an NOE mold for my 40 cal pistol but I still have a couple thousand commercial wax lubed boolits to use up. I thought about delubing them and doing PC, but it isn't really worth the work or expense as they shoot just fine as is, although they do lead the barrel.

Beagle333
06-30-2014, 09:57 PM
Nice!!!! Smoke's powder sure is easy to use. It wants to stick to boolits. :lovebooli

Rifle boolits are a pain to stand up and I am too OCD to lay them down to bake them.
I'm starting to think that way too. I don't shoot enough rifle boolits for it to be that much trouble to lubesize em, and I already got the lubesizer.
I shoot 99% pistol boolits anyway. The lube in the reservoir might be a lifetime supply for my .30-30 :D

ghh3rd
07-02-2014, 02:36 PM
I got mine off of Craigslist, and although it looked clean when I got it, I still swear I smell something good cookin when I bake boolits!

Huvius
07-07-2014, 06:59 PM
I'm starting to think that way too. I don't shoot enough rifle boolits for it to be that much trouble to lubesize em, and I already got the lubesizer.
I shoot 99% pistol boolits anyway. The lube in the reservoir might be a lifetime supply for my .30-30 :D

You're just not shooting big enough boolits!