PDA

View Full Version : New to Muzzle Loading

WRideout
06-29-2014, 08:48 AM
Well, a CVA Buckhorn followed me home a couple of months ago. I used my "mad money" so no need to convince my wife how much we needed it. The price had been discounted enough at Dunham's that I just couldn't resist. I'm not crazy about plastic stocks (I carried an old M16 in the Army) but this one does have a good balance.

Here's my question: Do any of you care to offer your experience with using RB vs Lee Real boolits? I'm not sure about the twist on these, but I assume it is made for the longer heavier boolits. I don't have a mold for this yet, but do have somewhat of a supply of pure Pb, in the form of roof flashing.

Second question: A friend gave me a can of BP that he used to use for a toy brass cannon. It was originally marked 3F, but has been scribbled on as 4F. Is there any way to tell which it really is? Also, would it hurt anything if I do use 4F in the Buckhorn. Thanks, guys.

Wayne

06-29-2014, 10:41 AM
Treat unknown or re-labeled powders like smallpox. Don't mess with them. It's just not worth it. I assume that the Buckhorn is .50 cal, so go out and get some FFg. FFFg can be used, but it's fast and should be used with a reduced level of powder. FFFFg will turn your new rifle into a pipebomb. As far as which is better, RB or R.E.A.L., you just have to experiment. That rifle probably has a twist rate that is a compromise between the two boolit styles, so you just have to shoot 'em both to see which it likes better. If it likes a RB, don't feel like it's not as good a hunting boolit as a conical. It might be lighter, but within design limits, it's a wonderful game getter. Lots of variables to try with both. RB - .490 or .495 ball, .010, .015, .018 or some other thickness of patch, type of lube, and amount of powder. R.E.A.L. - type of lube, weight of boolit (they make a light one and a heavy one), wool patch under the boolit or not, and amount of powder. Like I said, lots of variables. Being diligent and taking good notes does guarantee you will have lots of range time, however. Good luck and have fun.
ps: Use only pure lead to cast your boolits.

mooman76
06-29-2014, 11:29 AM
4f is not used in guns. It's used for flintlocks in the flash pan but like 725 stated, being unknown you are better off dumping it or since the 4th is coming up pour it out in a line and light it but be careful, it will flare up very fast. Also like he said only shooting will tell you what works best. Knowing the twist rate helps allot. There is a sticky that tells you how to find it. It is usually marked on the barrel any more but some older MLs don't have it marked.

mooman76
06-29-2014, 11:34 AM
I just looked it up on the internet. It has a 1/28 twist. That is designed for sabots. That isn't saying it won't shoot REALs or PRBs wells also. You will just have to play with your loads to see what shoots best for you.

waksupi
06-29-2014, 04:14 PM
Give the stray powder to a flintlock shooter. He can prime his pan with it, regardless of granulation.

WRideout
06-29-2014, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the advice and warnings, everybody. I guess I am looking for some advice on which mold to try first; I could just trade for some of each on the Boolit Exchange, but I thought that maybe someone had real-world experience with this smokepole. BTW: it is a .50 cal. Thanks again.

Wayne

WRideout
06-29-2014, 04:47 PM
Treat unknown or re-labeled powders like smallpox. Don't mess with them. It's just not worth it. I assume that the Buckhorn is .50 cal, so go out and get some FFg. FFFg can be used, but it's fast and should be used with a reduced level of powder. FFFFg will turn your new rifle into a pipebomb. As far as which is better, RB or R.E.A.L., you just have to experiment. That rifle probably has a twist rate that is a compromise between the two boolit styles, so you just have to shoot 'em both to see which it likes better. If it likes a RB, don't feel like it's not as good a hunting boolit as a conical. It might be lighter, but within design limits, it's a wonderful game getter. Lots of variables to try with both. RB - .490 or .495 ball, .010, .015, .018 or some other thickness of patch, type of lube, and amount of powder. R.E.A.L. - type of lube, weight of boolit (they make a light one and a heavy one), wool patch under the boolit or not, and amount of powder. Like I said, lots of variables. Being diligent and taking good notes does guarantee you will have lots of range time, however. Good luck and have fun.
ps: Use only pure lead to cast your boolits.

I have seen a Lee mold, I think in the Midway catalog, that has one of each; RB and conical. It might be worth getting one of those for the price.

Wayne

aspangler
06-29-2014, 05:32 PM
The heavy REAL or the TC maxi should shoot pretty good. Or you can get some .452 sabots and load 45 LC or ACP boolits in them.

WRideout
06-30-2014, 06:25 AM
The heavy REAL or the TC maxi should shoot pretty good. Or you can get some .452 sabots and load 45 LC or ACP boolits in them.

Thanks. I prefer to shoot my own castings; it's that self-sufficiency thing, I guess.

Wayne