PDA

View Full Version : Blak PC

skizzums
06-29-2014, 01:37 AM
I have heard that HF black is not a good candidate for the cool whip method. are there any black or even a charcoal grey that is available and appropriate for his method? would also be interested in GOLD

thanks
nate

Bonz
06-29-2014, 08:03 AM
I personally haven't tried but I thought that the Gloss Black works with the cool whip method

prickett
06-29-2014, 10:01 AM
See http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?226662-Definitive-List-What-powders-work-and-what-powders-don-t

I've had good luck with both the Super Durable Wet Black and the Teflon Black from All Powder Paints

Beagle333
06-29-2014, 10:08 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?226662-Definitive-List-What-powders-work-and-what-powders-don-t

Look at post 18. SuperSneakySteve has some really nice black ones with that Super Durable. I have seen others use it with success too, but I haven't personally used that color yet.
Also see post #81. There might be more.. .that was just what the search function returned in a quick search.

Y-T71
06-29-2014, 11:19 AM
If you don't mind having to do 2 coats, I've had great luck with HF matte black.

I'm tumbling in a #5 "Takealong" container with a screw on lid and some 20g airsoft BB's that I had laying around.

The first coat only covers about 10% and certainly doesn't look promising initially but it gives a good base coat for the second tumble that ends up being 98-99% IMO.

bangerjim
06-29-2014, 11:37 AM
Unless you want to do multiple coats.......avoid any type of matte coatings. The matte finish agent in the powder kills the minute static charge built up in the plastic tub.

If you want good smoothe sexy-looking matte black, buy an ESPC gun and spray them like most of the rest of us do to get perfect boolits in Ninja Matte Black! They are fast to do, smooth, and very cool!

The multiple coats in the above picture by Y-T71 do not appear thick enough to provide proper PC protection against leading. Mabe it does. I will stick with ESPC for matte black.

BBDT works well for the gloss colors and I use it also.

bangerjim

Freightman
06-29-2014, 01:30 PM
If you don't mind having to do 2 coats, I've had great luck with HF matte black.

I'm tumbling in a #5 "Takealong" container with a screw on lid and some 20g airsoft BB's that I had laying around.

The first coat only covers about 10% and certainly doesn't look promising initially but it gives a good base coat for the second tumble that ends up being 98-99% IMO.
Those look like the ones i do with the HF matt blk and two coats are not that big a deal. Also i bought the stuff i am going to use it. :bigsmyl2:
I also have yellow and white and never had any trouble with just one coat doing dry tumble.

jameslovesjammie
06-29-2014, 01:46 PM
Sherwin Williams "Mirror Black." Pistol bullets were 1 coat Coolwhip DT (pre-BBDT). Coverage is excellent. Rifle boolit was 1st PC attempt, used tumbler method; results not as good as desired with tumbler method.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/jameslovesjammie/gun%20stuff/Casting%20Stuff/PC%20Boolits/IMG_20140418_044727_015.jpg (http://s26.photobucket.com/user/jameslovesjammie/media/gun%20stuff/Casting%20Stuff/PC%20Boolits/IMG_20140418_044727_015.jpg.html)

ryokox3
06-30-2014, 12:23 PM
IMHO many manufacturers have a super durable wet black, and all accounts I heard along with my own with the all powder paints version have been excellent. Single coat DT that looks as good as the ES method.

Y-T71
06-30-2014, 12:23 PM
My photo does kinda make the coating look thin but it's very comparable to one coat of HF red using DTBB method which I, and many others, haven't had any issues with.

I have no problems with leading with the bullets shown in the photo or any of the black 9mm I also load.

Obviously it would be great to only have to do one coat but it's certainly not a deal breaker for me.

I don't have an air compressor and have no immediate plans to get one so this is the method for me. Plus, as Freightman said; I bought he stuff, I'm darn sure gonna use it.