PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know about loading these?

sharps_74
01-19-2008, 05:47 PM
As a newbie here, I'm learning where things go. So if this is not the best place for this post please move it.Thanks.

I just got a S&W revolver in .44 Russian.(photgraph below) It's an old Top brake and a good looking pistol. I know that it must be loaded with BP or a suitible substatute. I have some 777 powder that I use in my M.L. rifle. Any of y'all have the drop on some loading info.? I have cases trimmed and slugs ready to go. I just need to know the volume of powder to use.

Next, I also have an old Colt revolver in .41 Colt. An oddball caliber to be sure. I need loading info. on it as well. (Anybody got brass for it that they would like to trade for modern caliber brass?) As a side question, when did Colt stop using the rearing colt on their revolvers?

Y'all be blessed,
Sharps_74

Bent Ramrod
01-19-2008, 08:30 PM
Sharps74,

www.harryo.sixshootercommunity (I think) is the web site all about loading for the .41 Colt. Harry O has studied the .41 for years, posts here often, and I think an earlier thread of his on the Wheelguns forum included the link.

I've only started feeling my way with 777 in .32 Long loadings for a rifle. I don't know if there is any cartridge loading data for this powder at all, so I'm starting way low, as I hear that 777 develops higher pressures than black powder.

Best of luck with your endeavors. The cartridges you can buy over the counter never do seem as interesting to play with as the old stuff :).

01-20-2008, 12:35 AM
Don't know about 777, but I would measure the length of the bullet that sits within the case and find an amount of powder that would fill the case to that point. In other words, load it full and not compressed, with FFG. I've done that and it works well in my S&W top break .44 Russian. Mild by today's standards. (250 gr lead, as I remember)

montana_charlie
01-20-2008, 01:21 PM
I'm learning where things go. So if this is not the best place for this
I don't know what they talk about as I have never looked in, but this is where I would ask 'revolver questions'.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14
CM

KCSO
01-20-2008, 08:33 PM
I have loaded a few of these and a good share with an Ideal mould/ reloading tool. My load was a 246 rn lead bullet and 21 grains of FFg in old cases and 19 grains in modern cases. Tis lets the bullet compress the powder just a smidge. I didn't size the bullet at all just lubed it pan lube as it dropped from the mould. If I remember right the bullet dropped at 430. I used soft lead (1-30 or 1-40). The loads shot POA in my 44 russian revlover. I sure would not want to stress that nice old revolver so I would stick with standard factory loads (246 at 700fps).

sharps_74
01-20-2008, 09:55 PM
. I sure would not want to stress that nice old revolver so I would stick with standard factory loads (246 at 700fps).

Me neither as I intend to sell (or trade) it sometime in the near future.

NickSS
01-30-2008, 04:54 AM
I have loaded a lot of different pistol and rifle loads with black and substitute black powders but I have never tried 777. All you need to do is figure out where your base of the bullet is and pour in powder until it is at that point. Weigh the result and load a few. Then load up further rounds adding a grain of powder until you have loads that go from zero compression to about 1/4 inch. Try them out and pick the most accurate load and then use that load from then on. I have read that 777 gives higher pressure than black but you are talking low pressure even at that. I do not think you can get enough black or substitute black in a 44 russian cas to be dangerous to either you or your gun. Someone on the wrong end of the barrel may not be as lucky.

jhrosier
01-30-2008, 06:54 AM
..... Then load up further rounds adding a grain of powder until you have loads that go from zero compression to about 1/4 inch. .....

I strongly disagree. I have talked to Hogdon's tech support about 777 and they suggest 100% loading density to very light compression, .1" maximum. Use only the ffg grade for cartridges. The fffg grade is for muzzle loaders only and will give unpredictably high pressures in cartridges.
Cleanup is the same as BP, including washing your brass. I have used it in .41 Swiss with good results.

Jack