PDA

View Full Version : Help! Can Anyone Identify These "Old ReloadingTools"?

Yodogsandman
06-28-2014, 06:25 PM
I bought these "old reloading tools" as a lot not knowing what most pieces were. After 3 months, I still don't know. I can only guess at some but I really don't know. 109098The109098 5 round cylinders are beveled inside, 4 are double ended, one is a single and are marked 1. Forming over 2. .17 Caliber,.17 Rem, .17 Rem over 6mmTCU, 25/223 over 6.5 TCU, #1 .224 over #2 .224 . One homemade tool looks to be used to remove stuck cases. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Wayne Smith
06-29-2014, 07:28 AM
At a guess those are pound dies to form the .17 wildcat cartridges. They were wildcats for years before any major company loaded them. They are used in a vice or arbor press and the rod is used to eject the case.

jsizemore
06-29-2014, 08:51 AM
Silhouette wildcat shooter.

Bent Ramrod
06-29-2014, 10:18 PM
They look like bushings and inserts for case forming, as the other posters have mentioned. I would say that you may be missing the holder that the parts would be inserted into, in order to do the forming chores. This would be a hollowed out 7/8" x 14 tpi loading die, with some arrangement inside to hold the bushings, or, alternately, a hollow press ram to do the work upside down, with a shell holder arrangement in the loading die station.

Once that custom or shop made stuff gets separated, even the lack of one piece, or a clue to the press it was made for, makes it very hard to figure out how it was used.

Pepe Ray
06-29-2014, 10:51 PM
Venturing a guess, some of the parts bear a strong resemblance to the false muzzles used to align the boolets and rams while loading a rifle. All designed to assure perfect alignment of the boolet as it passes to the bore.
As I recall they were mostly LARGE bores, 40 or more.
Pepe Ray

Wayne Smith
06-30-2014, 11:32 AM
They look like bushings and inserts for case forming, as the other posters have mentioned. I would say that you may be missing the holder that the parts would be inserted into, in order to do the forming chores. This would be a hollowed out 7/8" x 14 tpi loading die, with some arrangement inside to hold the bushings, or, alternately, a hollow press ram to do the work upside down, with a shell holder arrangement in the loading die station.

Once that custom or shop made stuff gets separated, even the lack of one piece, or a clue to the press it was made for, makes it very hard to figure out how it was used.

Either that or they were made to work with an arbor press as is.

Wayne Smith
06-30-2014, 11:34 AM
Venturing a guess, some of the parts bear a strong resemblance to the false muzzles used to align the boolets and rams while loading a rifle. All designed to assure perfect alignment of the boolet as it passes to the bore.
As I recall they were mostly LARGE bores, 40 or more.
Pepe Ray

Pepe, if that is what the one piece is someone has removed the alignment rods.

Yodogsandman
06-30-2014, 02:02 PM
Late one night, I found a photo and a description of these pieces. They were sold as both single and double ended. I went to bed and didn't save any info. I think the mfr was maybe CH or Wilson. Had something to do with forming the shoulders from other cases, I think. Thanks to all for your ideas.