PDA

View Full Version : Blackhawk in 45 Colt...

BCB
01-19-2008, 04:38 PM
Well, here are a few preliminary results of my latest purchase. I started a thread concerning the 44 Special--Again... and then I started one about Blackhawk Cylinder & 45 LC...

So, having read all the comments and researching this subject a bit further, I took the plunge and bought a Ruger Blackhawk in the 45 Colt caliber.

A 44 Special would have been nice, but it seemed too much trouble to continue to look for a used one, plus it seemed they would be expensive.

The groups posted were fired today (lousy weather here in PA) in an effort to just get it to hit at or near point of aim—I think I got that accomplished. Both of those groups (3-shots) were fired at 20 yards from my bench. The one on the right was with 9.0 grains of Unique and it measures 0.54” center to center. The one on the left was 20.0 grains of H-110 and it measures 0.90” center to center. My hands were cold and the recoil from the H-110 load was noticeable. It might do better under better conditions. Nothing was chronographed today…

The bullet is an RCBS 45-270-SAA cast from wheel weights and the weigh in at an average of 283 grains. They drop from the mold at right near 0.454” from both cavities.

I did slug the chambers and the throats are 0.4515”±. From a couple of recovered slugs it appears the bore is 0.445” and the groove is 0.452”. These measurements are rough, but I think representative. The cylinder gap is 0.003”. I fired a total of 36 rounds through it today, and the barreled cleaned up brand new with a patch and some Butch’s Bore Shine—zero leading.

So far, I think I made the correct decision. Warmer weather will tell.

Thanks for all of the advice/info from previous posts…BCB

danski26
01-19-2008, 04:43 PM
Nice shooting! Thanks for the update. That h-110 load should be a potent one for hunting I would think.

shooting on a shoestring
01-19-2008, 07:09 PM
Congrats. What barrel length did you get?

Also, a cautionary note. I broke the aluminum grip frame off my 7.5" .45 Colt BH shooting 23 gr H4227 and 300 gr Lees. Ruger wanted $225 to put a blued steel frame back on it, so I bought a brass frame from a gentleman here and fit it myself. I much perfer the heft in my hand provided by the heavier brass grip frame, and I think it looks great.

It also started spitting out the cylinder base pin under heavy recoil. A beltmountain locking pin fixed that.

After some disappointment with the above two issues, I love the caliber and gun. I also did a trigger job, ground on the hammer notch with a whet stone and left a leg off the trigger return spring. Result is no creep and a very light trigger.

Yep I'll bet you enjoy .45Colt, and the BH.

nicholst55
01-19-2008, 07:10 PM
Nice groups! That boolit is highly regarded in the .45 Colt - I obviously need to buy that mold! You may want to consider having your cylinder throats reamed to .4525" by the Cylindersmith. Cost is only $30 plus return shipping.

But, with groups like that, it may be a case of 'if it ain't broke...'!

44man
01-19-2008, 08:24 PM
Can I throw a monkey wrench in here? [smilie=1: I don't think 20 yd's will say a thing about how the gun or boolit shoots. Unless of course every single shot from the gun is at 20 yd's for as long as it is owned.
I firmly believe close range shooting is a waste of time and components unless you are shooting a .38, .22 or a concealed carry gun.
Show some 50 and 100 yd groups, the caliber is as good as the .44 mag and will kill deer as far or clang steel as far.

bearcove
01-19-2008, 08:48 PM
As long as the bullet is stabilized, not to heavy for rate of twist, short range is great to try out loads. A good load at 20 or 25 yards can then be tried farther out.

Bass Ackward
01-19-2008, 10:16 PM
Can I throw a monkey wrench in here?

Brand new gun and caliber. Mold too probably. It was the hat comment, wasn't it? :grin:

Cold as hell here today. I had 4 shots right at an inch and the the front sight disappeared while my eyes teared up. 5 and 6 were too far for a good group. Not far enough that I could use your trick and lay another target over it to hide them for the picture. :grin:

Poor BCB is probably sharpening the knife to commit sepaku as this is posted. :grin:

44man
01-20-2008, 12:05 AM
Doesn't matter and no excuses for the cold! :mrgreen: I am from Ohio and worked outside loading and fueling airplanes for 42 years. Once shot close, move back and see what happens. Why limit a nice big bore to 20 yd's? Next someone will point the gun straight up and lay the target on the muzzle 5 times.
Quit making fun of my cap! [smilie=w:[smilie=w:

9.3X62AL
01-20-2008, 12:44 AM
BCB--

It sounds like Ruger GOT REAL with your revolver's dimensional integrity, lots better than a few years ago. Those 20-yard results bode well for the future, I believe.

I GREATLY enjoy my Ruger BisHawk in 45 Colt.

Dennis Eugene
01-20-2008, 02:39 AM
I beg to differ, quote " the caliber is as good as the .44 mag and will kill deer as far or clang steel as far" I'm sure what was ment is the the 44 is almost as good a cal. as the .45 altho even that simple statement is aruguable. Dennis Eugene

Crash_Corrigan
01-20-2008, 03:09 AM
I also have a Ruger BH New Model with a Brass Frame and a 4/5/8 bbl in .45 LC.

I have had good results with Trail Boss powder under a Lee 255 gr LFN boolit lubed with Carnuba Red. I never got around to measuring a group but it shure busts cans, plates and baloons real good at up to 25yds.

Recoil is very manageable and this round doesn't lead the bbl at all. I would tell you the amount of powder but CRS has struck again...it may have been 4.3 gr or maybe another amount....I failed to write it down the loading data came from the powder manufacturer so I am sure you will be able to find it.

I also took off one of the legs to the trigger spring and the trigger is better...almost as good as the 357/9MM Old Model BH that I love to shoot.

I am awaiting a 30 Carbine Ruger BH. I suppose I should seek out a .41 Magnum, 44 Magnum and a 10MM/38/40 also but I believe that my .45 LC can do anything a 44 Magnum can do even better. Ditto on the 41 Magnum and I have not any need for a 10MM at all. I do love those Rugers!

Bass Ackward
01-20-2008, 08:12 AM
Next someone will point the gun straight up and lay the target on the muzzle 5 times. Quit making fun of my cap! [smilie=w:[smilie=w:

Now you know my trick. :grin:

And for the record I think that you would be very recognizable in that hat. Sorta like Charley Chapman or Peter Altercorn.

Lloyd Smale
01-20-2008, 08:44 AM
I agree and disagree with 44 man. I do alot of load development at 25 yards. If a bullet isnt shooting well there its not going to do well out farther and with my eyes the closer range takes some of the questionable flyers out of the picture. When i get where i have 2 or 3 good loads at that range then i take them out farther to weed them down to the best.

Bret4207
01-20-2008, 08:57 AM
I have a similar BH, a 45 x 4 5/8" convertible. Wish that barrel was about 5.5 or 6" long. But the darn thing is so handy and shoots so well I hate to change the barrel. Wish my eyes were holding up as good as my..........., well, I can't think of anything on me thats holding up too well!

44man
01-20-2008, 10:09 AM
Dennis, my bad! :drinks: I have both and would not part with either. I can say it either way too. Both are wonderful rounds and I will never try to compare one to the other saying one is better. I don't see any difference on deer with a 320 gr .44 or a 335 gr .45. :-D
Lloyd, that does work at times for a start with a new load. I just go right to 50 because it saves me work and shots. I have found almost every load will print decent at 50 yd's from the .45 and it is easier to see a change with a load. I used to start at 25 but some of the tightest groups there have been no good at distance.
I found the same problem with a boolit I made for my BPCR. I thought I had it made when I was shooting 1" groups at 200 yd's from the bench with a scope. I found the boolit would not stay on the 385 meter berm and 500 was a joke. My friend could see the boolits go crazy through the scope when they passed 200 meters. That means I need to go to the club and test boolits at long range because I only have 200 yd's in my woods. Every shot here is a waste of lead.
That is also the reason I go right to 100 yd's with the Marlin .44. It tells me instantly if a boolit will shoot. There is just no sense shooting it closer. That doubles or triples the amount of test loads. The thing is so picky you can be lead into a false impression of accuracy at 50 yd's.
Some time ago I proved it in a post with my Vaquero. I took the worst load I ever made down and shot a super tight group of 10 shots at 25 yd's. One ragged hole! They shot 6" groups at 50 yd's. Three shots at 50 would send me back to the drawing board.
I did the same with my 45-70 BFR to prove a bad load shot incredible at 25 yd's. I will never, ever trust close range groups.

BCB
01-20-2008, 10:09 AM
44man,

You may throw a monkey wrenching into it!!!

I realize that 20 yards ain’t very far, but as I stated, I was only trying to get the handgun to hit at or near point of aim. And by doing this, I was sort of able to see if there might be a problem with the size of the chambers in the cylinder as this has been mentioned by many people on this site that I consider very knowledgeable. Well, my groups and the rough measurements of the boolits seem to indicate that things might be O.K. with the handgun as it came from the factory—only more shooting and time will tell the tale.

As mentioned by a couple of other posters in this thread, I too have eye problems. (Now if anyone is going start to play the violin, I prefer Rhapsody in Blue!) I used to shoot right-handed with everything. Now, I can’t even shoot ‘scoped weapons using my right eye. So I shoot a handgun and use my left eye—I am presently practicing shooting rifles and shotguns left-handed, but I doubt it will turn out real well—I am clumsy!

By the way, I did shoot my last 2 rounds that were loaded with H-110 at my steel pendulum that is 5.5”x11”. The distance was 50 yards, and yes, I hit it both times. I didn’t go see where I hit it but it did go “clang” and managed to swing a little.

For now I am happy with the factory handgun. I was fearing the worst about the cylinder dimensions etc. ‘cause a handgun, reloading dies, and a boolit mold isn’t exactly a 100 dollar investment! I’ll let the longer-distance shooting to the better of vision...

shooting on a shoestring,

It is a 5.5" barrel...BCB

44man
01-20-2008, 10:20 AM
Don't I know it, my eyes are 70 years old. :(
But you have already proven it will hit at 50 yd's. I would still tweak the load on paper at the longer range. Besides, it is more fun.
It sounds like Ruger is coming around with the .45 throats. I don't know why they made some too tight. But guess what, I have seen a lot of Freedom guns with perfect throats and oversize bores.

RSOJim
01-20-2008, 11:14 AM
I went to the Lakeland gunshow yesterday. I bought my wife an older super blackhawk in 44 of course. I took it home and handed it to my wife and said "honey look what I found for you today." She handed it back to me and said, " I don't want that damn thing." Looks like I have another super to add to my collection.

9.3X62AL
01-20-2008, 11:52 AM
I'll bet Ruger's customer service and repair people got really tired of getting complaints on the "skinny-throated" 45 Colt Blackhawks. Perhaps we wore them down to our way of thinking. Can you imagine the UPROAR in the gunrags if Keith--Skelton--and Jordan were still alive when Ruger started that bit? The current crop of gunhacks seem less inclined to criticize The Gunmakers, from whom all blessings flow. Would that the L.A. Times give LAPD a similar treatment........two extremes that serve their respective readerships VERY poorly.

Bret4207
01-20-2008, 01:41 PM
I went to the Lakeland gunshow yesterday. I bought my wife an older super blackhawk in 44 of course. I took it home and handed it to my wife and said "honey look what I found for you today." She handed it back to me and said, " I don't want that damn thing." Looks like I have another super to add to my collection.

Yeah, life's tough huh?:mrgreen:

Dennis Eugene
01-20-2008, 01:56 PM
44Man, Just me trying to be funny. I too own and shoot many Cals. and 44 and 45's are both right up there. D.E.C.

44man
01-20-2008, 11:13 PM
You are one slick son of a gun! :drinks:

PatMarlin
01-21-2008, 12:47 AM
My 70's vintage Blackhawk in 45 colt shows promiss. The 5.5" barrel groups 2" with LBT 320 wfn and IMR 4227 out to 50yrds, and I'm hitting an 8 x 11 sheet of pumkin colored sheet paper at 100.

Has to be pumkin though.. :mrgreen:

I have no problems deer hunting with this baby here in our woods. In fact it's on my side period when hunting. To many cats loose these days.. :roll:

I like the larger brass gripframe idea. My hands to big for the stock grips, so I've got hogues on it.

MtGun44
01-22-2008, 02:16 AM
OK, I give . What is magic about pumpkin colored paper??

:confused:
Bill

PatMarlin
01-22-2008, 09:41 AM
Like my old WW2 vet fishing buddy used to say.. "It's hard to tell".

Can't give up all my secrets.. :mrgreen:

9.3X62AL
01-22-2008, 11:51 PM
If it's like "Cal-Trans Orange", it shows up with good contrast super-imposed on black iron sights.

PatMarlin
01-23-2008, 01:29 AM
Mostly cause I a bunch to get rid of... :roll: