PDA

View Full Version : Polish in tumbling media, no dust

mjwcaster
06-28-2014, 02:46 PM
So I had been meaning to try adding some car polish to my tumbling media and finally picked some up the other day.
I really don't care about pretty cases, but I've been selling off my extras to fund my reloading habit and wanted them to look better.

I still don't care about looks, but boy did the polish cut down on the dust. I was already using used dryer sheets, they helped a lot, but it was still a dusty operation.
Now there is almost no dust when dumping a batch out of the tumbler.

I wish I had started using polish earlier. And my cases do look prettier with less tumbling.

Matt

DLCTEX
06-28-2014, 08:44 PM
I use oderless mineral spirits in combination with NuFinish car polish to both improve cleaning and reduce dust. Tricks learned on Cast Boolits. A cap full of each and let the tumbler run a while until all lumps are gone before adding brass works wonders.

Duster340
06-28-2014, 08:50 PM
I add a dollop of Flitz paste to my walnut shell media and man those grimy cases come out shiny as can be....and without the dust.:wink:

rsrocket1
07-04-2014, 10:15 PM
Used dryer sheets pick up the dust and soot and are thrown away after each load. Mineral spirits, Flitz, Nufinish trap soot and lead styphnate from the primers and cause the media to turn black after a while. Yes, it's cheap, but the media stays clean a lot longer if you don't coat it with anything and let the dryer sheets catch the dust.

500MAG
07-04-2014, 10:19 PM
+1 on the mineral spirits & NuFinish. I have brass that is over 30 years old that come out looking brand new.

williamwaco
07-04-2014, 11:24 PM
I use the mineral spirits but be careful. If you add too much you will turn the whole tub into a bowl of MUD.

nhrifle
07-04-2014, 11:35 PM
I tried the dryer sheets and a few others things, but what I do now is tear a couple paper towels into strips and throw them in the tumbler. They collect the dust and are discarded when I separate the brass from the media.