PDA

View Full Version : Free media seperator, works great

mjwcaster
06-28-2014, 02:43 PM
So I got back into reloading, but my media separator had gone missing.
I've been meaning to order another strainer type, but I forget about it until I am cleaning brass and then figure by the time it got here I would be done.

I'm a little slow, but the other day while separating brass/media by hand again I had an idea-

Just take a bucket and drill a bunch of holes in the bottom.
Then set the separator bucket inside another bucket and shake.

Works great, cost nothing.

Just use a good drill, the battery was dying on mine when I did it the first time, not spinning fast enough and left rough holes. Charged another battery and re-drilled the next day with bigger/cleaner holes and it works much better.
Separates a batch of brass in a minute or less.

I'm sure I'm not the first on to think of this, but I hadn't read of it before and it took me a long time to think of it, so I figured I'd share.

Matt

William Yanda
06-28-2014, 04:48 PM
I found a 99 cent basket from a deep fryer at the thrift store. Now to remember to wear dust masks when I use it.

retsub
06-29-2014, 01:11 PM
I just use a plastic colander. Seasons the spaghetti then.

Deliverator
07-01-2014, 05:35 PM
Could try cutting slots in the bucket instead of holes. Use a rotozip or something like that to cut some slots on the bottom about 1" long with 1/8-1/4" between them for structure. Could bump up the size of the bit if needed for corn cob media and such.

dakotashooter2
07-02-2014, 05:31 PM
Works for water dropping boolits too.

rsrocket1
07-04-2014, 10:11 PM
You really want something that turns the brass over. Cases tend to line up with the hole pointing up. I use a cylindrical basket used for tumbling raffle tickets. It has paddles that flip the brass over. I was about to make one out of chicken wire and wood ends, but found this at the thrift store for $2. Many years of use and still going strong.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj96/rsrocket1/sifter.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj96/rsrocket1/sifter2.jpg

mulletmaster
07-10-2014, 09:41 PM
I use a cheap cat litter box that came with a sifter that fits inside and it was around $3 I think. I tried colander but it was too slow and after modification too messy.

country gent
07-10-2014, 09:54 PM
I used half an old minnow trap for awhile also. It was just right when moly coating as it allowed the steel balls to pass thry but not 22 cal bullets

Springfield
07-13-2014, 01:53 PM
Go to the auto parts store and buy some Paint Swirl Remover. Put a bit of that into the media until it is slightly damp. That will eliminate all the dust and be safer for you, no breathing in any lead laden dust. Helps polish the brass also. Doing this alone lowered my blood lead content by 3 points.