PDA

View Full Version : .44 Mag Rifle Plinking Loads

04hunter
06-28-2014, 02:07 PM
Howdy all,
I am sure this has been hashed and rehashed, but I can never find what I want using the search function, so I hope you will indulge me. I am getting a Marlin 1894 with Ballard barrel and want to know some plinking loads for it. I have 200gr. RNFP plain base boolits. What sort of velocities make a good target/plinking load and what powders/charges do you find that work well? Thanks for helping me out.

Larry

Larry Gibson
06-28-2014, 02:11 PM
I think for "plinking" with that bullet in the 44 Magnum you'll find velocities between 800 and 1050 fps will be best. I suggest Bullseye powder; 5.5 gr to 7 gr. That's what works best for me.

Larry Gibson

Outpost75
06-28-2014, 02:41 PM
+1 on what Larry said. Plainbased bullets, wheelweight alloy, Lee Liquid Alox, start 5 grains of Bullseye, do not reduce. Max. 8 grains of Bullseye, do not exceed. In my rifles the "sweet spot" is in the range of 6.5-7 grains. Very pleasant, like a .44-40 load.

04hunter
06-28-2014, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the info, guys. I should have mentioned that I have some AA-9, Unique, Universal, and TrailBoss on hand. Anyone using those powders in this application?

Airman Basic
06-28-2014, 03:49 PM
As above, substitute 7.5 Unique or any of your choices that does less than 1000 fps.

Loudenboomer
06-28-2014, 10:18 PM
I think you'll be happier with the faster powders mentioned. AA# 9 doesn't really like to be "Plinked". Seems to me anyway that it does best with at least moderate pressures. I've had erratic results with Low Vel #9 loads in the .44 mag.

singleshot
06-28-2014, 10:27 PM
I really like Trailboss for 44 Mag plinking loads! Give that a try.

04hunter
06-28-2014, 11:00 PM
Great info, I appreciate it. In looking through different manuals, another question has arisen. Is handgun data for the .44 mag interchangeable with loading for a rifle? Thanks again.

Larry Gibson
06-29-2014, 10:10 AM
Great info, I appreciate it. In looking through different manuals, another question has arisen. Is handgun data for the .44 mag interchangeable with loading for a rifle? Thanks again.

Generally yes except that many magnum level cast bullet loads with PB'd cast bullets that shoot very well in handguns do not give very good accuracy in the rifle. The reason is the rifle is a close breach system with a much longer barrel. Thus the velocities are much higher. With PB'd cast bullets many times that velocity is above what will shoot accurately in the rifle.

After many years developing 357magnum, 44 Magnum and 45 Colt loads for rifle/revolver companion guns I've found what shoots accurately in the revolver does not always shoot accurately in the rifle. However, what shoots accurately in the rifle most often shoots accurately in the revolver. Thus if wanting to use the same load in both a rifle and revolver I suggest the load be worked up for accuracy in the rifle staying with in handgun load data. Then use that load in the revolver. Most often that load will shoot just fine in the revolver also.

Larry Gibson

Artful
06-29-2014, 10:35 AM
Isn't it fun now a days we have to learn to load with what powders we can find - your choices within Unique, Universal, and TrailBoss

Trail boss try starting about 5 grains to about 7 grains for plinking loads
http://www.imrpowder.com/data/handgun/trailboss.php

Unique try starting about 6.5 to 8.5 grains for plinking loads

Sorry I don't use Universal powder.

Lonegun1894
06-29-2014, 03:16 PM
What size bore does your rifle have? Spec for rifles is .432" vs the .429/.430" for handguns, and this gave me trouble with my .44 H&R handirifle before I worked up a couple loads for it. My lightest load is 2.7grs Unique under a 240gr SWC, but this is so light that the main things I use it for is pest control due to how quiet it is while still firing a fairly heavy bullet, or at least much heavier than my pelletgun while being quieter than the pellet gun. My standard target load for this rifle is 10.0 grs Unique under a GCd 235gr RNFP NOE, but that is my hunting load. It is still pleasant to shoot though due to the weight of the rifle. My other loads involve paperpatching, but mine is a single shot as opposed to your lever-action, which I've never PPd for so not sure how much help I'd be.

smkummer
06-29-2014, 04:05 PM
My cowboy action load is about 4.8 grains of 700X behind Lee's TL200FP. I don't size the bullet and it comes out close to .431. Water dropped wheel weights. I am guessing 900 FPS. Very very little leading just in front of the chamber after 60 rounds that easily wipes out. I doesn't ring your ears if you forget you ear plugs. And my Marlin is micro groove.

nagantguy
06-29-2014, 05:47 PM
Bullseye and unique in case no one else said it. Just kidding I know its been covered its just the best advice I can give