PDA

View Full Version : Some questions on dies & 38 Colt Short & Long Cartridge Loading

bedbugbilly
06-28-2014, 10:38 AM
I'm posting this in this thread as my main question is in regards to what I need/can do as far as a crimp die.

I like to experiment with new things (new to me) and I currently load a lot of 38 Spl. and 9mm. I want to play around with loading some 38 Colt Short and 38 Colt Long - both smokeless and black powder. I will be shooting these out of a New Vaquero but am anticipating getting either a 38 Richards & Mason, 1872 Open Top or similar conversion repro pistol. (I also shoot a lot of BP revolver).

Now for my questions - I'm sure this isn't "rocket science" but I'd like to have a "plan" before I start as I'm getting components around that I'll need.

This is what I have mold wise . . .

Lee 356-120-TC which drops at .358 (I use this in my 9 mm and 38 spl)

Lee 358-150-RN

My questions is on dies and crimping. I currently use Lee dies and am very happy with them. I will be ordering a 3 die set of Lee carbide dies for the 38 Colt Short/Long.

I seat my lead boolits and crimp in two different operations. My concern is what to do in regards for a "crimp die" for these loads. I'm trying to do this on a budget (plus I can't see spending money on additional dies if I don't need to - I won't be loading that many of these in a year).

Will a 9mm crimp die (I have the Lee FCD in my set for 9mm) work OK on the 38 Colt Shorts for the Lee-120-TC load - putting a taper crimp on it? Or is my thinking flawed on that?

On the 358-150-RN load - I haven't tried it yet but I'm thinking I can adjust my Lee 38 spl FCD down to put a roll crimp on that bullet - if not - if the 9mm crimp die will work - adjust it up high to put a taper crimp on that particular boolit even though it has a crimp groove? I will also mention that I bell my case mouths the very minimum required to get the boolit started.

For smokeless - I currently have BE and Unique. I want to try and find some Red Dot to try as well. For Black Powder - I have both 2F and 3F Goex.

I have read that there are those that shoot certain competitions and use the 38 Colt Short casings as they can load their cylinders faster. For those that do load 38 Colt Short - what dies are you using to crimp and are you using a taper or roll crimp? What boolit weight are you using? (I only shoot cast).

I haven't been able to find much on loading data for the 38 Colt Short. I will start all loads out and a minimum (and keep an eye out for squibs). I'm thinking that the 150 grain Lee RN would work O.K. in regards to the 38 Colt Short but I haven't run across much in regards to that - loads or overall length. On the smokeless loads, my main concern is the seating depth if I use the 150 gr. RN and increasing the pressure too much.

Any suggestions as to what to do die wise and crimp wise would be greatly appreciated. Any information on lead boolits and grain weight for the 38 Colt Short would also be appreciated. Thankss!

kweidner
06-28-2014, 11:04 AM
I personally would not taper crimp a revolver round. Not to say it won't work. I believe you would be better served with a roll crimp. Start at published minimum and work forward as far as load is concerned.

Mk42gunner
06-28-2014, 10:53 PM
The 8th edition of Cartridges of the World states that the .38 Long Colt used a 250 grain bullet. It also states the .38 Short Colt originally used a 130 grain outside lubed bullet, but doesn't say if it ever used an inside lubed one.

Since you are planning on using inside lubed boolits, I would think that you can probably use your .38 Special dies, you may or may not need a shortened seater and crimp die.

I have never used a Lee FCD for handguns, I had most of my handgun caliber dies before Lee came out with it. I agree with kweidner, a roll crimp (properly applied) should be fine.

Robert

texassako
06-29-2014, 12:53 PM
Just so you know, the Lee set is just a collection of various other pistol dies. 38/357 sizer, 38 s&w expander, and 38 acp seater. You can probably get the same results with your 38 and 9mm dies. There was someone selling the .38 short colt heeled bullets on gunbroker in the past, and not sure if they still do.