PDA

View Full Version : 223 Ruger American Compact.

Four Fingers of Death
06-28-2014, 02:45 AM
I love lightweight rifles in 223 (and 222) and have had several Sakos in the past. As much as I like the old Sako Hunters that I have had, they are hard to find and usually bring about $AU1500 if in any sort of condition, so I never replaced my last one (a 1985 built 222, rebarreled to 223 and when it's fourth barrel wore out, I took it to a gunsmith to get rebarrelled. he forgot my instructions and fitted a No3 profile barrel,which was way tooo heavy for the rifle and destroyed the stock, hogging it out to fit the bigger barrel. It went from my go to rifle to one I had absolutely no interest in and I sold it when a Sako lover made an offer on it.

I saw a Ruger American Compact in 223 the other day and I think this will be my new go to rifle. I paid for it and picked it up this morning, complete with a VX3 Leupold 2.5-8 scope and Leupold rings. It is now an All American, :bigsmyl2: .

Off to the range tomorrow to sight it in and run the barrel in with jacketed ammo. Pictures and range report to follow. The scope cost me $AU50 more than the rifle! It is a nice looking outfit. It is set to get a run at rabbits and hopefully a fox or a goat on Monday morning.

Four Fingers of Death
06-28-2014, 06:07 AM
Whoops! I didn't realise, but thinking back, I asked for a 2-7 Leupold, but the 2-7 in trhe shop was a VX1, which I turned my nose up at and the scope I ended up buying was a VX3 2.5- 8. A much better scope (nothing wrong with the VX1, but I have always used Vari X11s and Vari X111s).

The other thing I got wrong was I thought that I was buying a 1 in 10" twist, nope, these are a 1 in 8" twist. It is probably not going to be much good with light bullets and cast. I bought 200 x Federal Premium rounds which have the excellent 52Gn Sierra HP, I hope they work ok, my Tikka T3 Hunter with the same twist doesn't like 55gn bullets at all. The moral of this story is, do your homework before pulling your wallet out of your pocket!

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/Rifles/20140628RugerAmericanCompact2233_zpsb1ebb3fa.jpg (http://s89.photobucket.com/user/4fingermick/media/Rifles/20140628RugerAmericanCompact2233_zpsb1ebb3fa.jpg.h tml)

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/Rifles/20140628RugerAmericanCompact2232_zpsda65dda2.jpg (http://s89.photobucket.com/user/4fingermick/media/Rifles/20140628RugerAmericanCompact2232_zpsda65dda2.jpg.h tml)

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/Rifles/20140628RugerAmericanCompact2234_zps46e62ec9.jpg (http://s89.photobucket.com/user/4fingermick/media/Rifles/20140628RugerAmericanCompact2234_zps46e62ec9.jpg.h tml)

marlin39a
06-28-2014, 07:51 AM
That Ruger American Compact 223 is on my short list as a walking prairie dog shooter with 55 gr V-Max bullets.

Four Fingers of Death
06-28-2014, 11:18 AM
It is a sweet little rifle, the length of pull is a tad short, but the overall length is only 36.75" which at 6lbs, makes it real handy. Might end up calling it my yardstick! I dohope it handles 55Gn spitzer bullets, I have oodles of them downstairs.

NVScouter
06-29-2014, 01:37 AM
Love my compact in .308 and want a 223 but just was shown the predictor line. I'm thinking a 6.5Creedmoor and a .223 in that will be needed before hunting season

Four Fingers of Death
06-29-2014, 05:05 AM
I thought that you were talking about the M77 Predator at first. The American in 6.5 Creedmore would be good for most things you hunt, punches way above it's weight.

Four Fingers of Death
07-02-2014, 10:38 AM
Well, it sure doesn't seem to like Federal Premium ammo with the 52Gn Speer HPs! Groups look to be about 3" through the spotting scope (100yds). It was cold, windy and I didn't have my proper benchrest set up (nothing flash, but I only had a cheap plastic forend rest at the range today). It was getting dark and ended up alternating between drizzly rain and snow, so I packed up and headed home (too cold and wet to get the targetsO. I will be back on Monday and will open the range up early (before it gets too cold) and give the rifle a fair run. Watch this space, lol.

cattleskinner
07-02-2014, 10:55 AM
Mick,

I got a chance to shoot some this past weekend. So far a starting load of H4895 (25 gr.) using LC brass, and 50 gr. Zmax bullets were the best 5 shot group at just under an inch at 100 yds. I am doing 5 rounds at a time going up .5 gr each time. Due to time restraints and that skinny barrel heating up, I was only able to get half the rounds shot. I am not sure if you have registered you rifle through Ruger, but they send you a cheek pad free because you bought the American rifle.

-Amos

Four Fingers of Death
07-02-2014, 11:26 AM
G'Day Amois, are they the Zombie bullets? I suppose the plastic tipped bullets would be longer and might stabilise better.

My mate uses 75Gn A Max bullets in his fast twist rifle and they are brilliant, but I don't know how they would go on game.

We Aussies don't usually get those deals that you guys in the States get. I will ask at the gunshop though, thanks.

NVScouter
07-02-2014, 11:37 AM
I shot a massive doe pronghorn at 180 yards last year with the Sierra 65g game kings. It duplicated my 250-3000 savage kills, I was tickeled. That was from my 1:8" 20" BBL AR-15.

I've also shot for group with those in that same AR-15 and under .5"@100y and believe it or not my 14" T/C .223 barrel shoots them into an inch at 100y too!

Borrow a coulple of those 75g A-max from your friend and load em up. I've heard scuttlebutt that the American Magazine doesnt like to feed the longer 75g bullets even though the rifling is perfect for them.

Four Fingers of Death
07-02-2014, 11:43 AM
I used the 63Gn Sierras to great effect in the past, but they are a pretty stumpy bullet and even worked well in my 220Swift with a 14 1/2" twist. Thanks, I'll check out the 65Gn Game Kings.

There seems to be a ton of rifles with fast twist barrels and lots of heavy varmint and target bullets, but decent heavy hunting bullets seem a bit thin on the ground.

I will be shooting mostly rabbits, hares, foxes and the odd goat. I would like the bullet to be able to handle small deer and pigs as well, as there is always the chance of running into one.

cattleskinner
07-02-2014, 12:00 PM
Yes, they are the Zombie bullets. I found them at Powder Valley when they were in stock. At $60 for 500 it was as reasonable as most fmj bullets. They look just like any of the red tipped vmax bullets Hornady makes, and I have heard that for all intents and purposes they are the same thing.

NVScouter
07-02-2014, 12:25 PM
The doe was about 4 years old, and about 110lbs on the hoof. Most pronghorn does are closer to 60-85lbs. Dressed out she was still over 50lbs of meat. She had 2" horns and 1 testicle on top of her lady parts. Pretty cool my wife used it as a case study in her Biology course.

She was trying to figure out what I was so with a 100y zero I put the crosshair on her bottom lip and wacked her. Bullet entered a bit high center of chest angled downward through three vertibre, clipped the top of the heart, and destroying a lung. She never even blinked just crumpled. My wife had never seen a hit like that before and was amazed at the instant lights out.

I used the 63Gn Sierras to great effect in the past, but they are a pretty stumpy bullet and even worked well in my 220Swift with a 14 1/2" twist. Thanks, I'll check out the 65Gn Game Kings.

There seems to be a ton of rifles with fast twist barrels and lots of heavy varmint and target bullets, but decent heavy hunting bullets seem a bit thin on the ground.

I will be shooting mostly rabbits, hares, foxes and the odd goat. I would like the bullet to be able to handle small deer and pigs as well, as there is always the chance of running into one.

NVScouter
07-02-2014, 12:27 PM
I know a couple guys that swear by them on coyotes but I havent had a chance to try it out on one yet.

Four Fingers of Death
07-07-2014, 04:22 AM
When I bought the rifle I also bought 200x Federal Premium Vital Shok rounds (our guy gives a 10% discount with ten boxes and he was heaps cheaper than the big shops in Sydney anyway). These are a Australia only load with the 52Gn Speer HP.

When I realised that the wee rifle had a 1 in 8" twist, I was concerned that the ammo wouldn't shoot (my Tikka Hunter hates 55Gn bullets), so I went back to the shop and bought one packet to try out. He also had some Privi Partisan ammo with a 55Gn SP and I picked up a box of these for sighting in.

I sighted the rifle (I suppose I should call it a carbine, it is about the same length as my lever action carbines) last week and shot a group or two,but as it started raining and snowing at the same time, I quickly lost interest in retrieving the targets. At the range today and the wee beastie doesn't like the PPU ammo at all! 2 x 3 shot groups and one 9 shot group to get rid of the last of the ammo, all 3" groups. Not impressed. The rifle was being cleaned every second 3 shot group as I was still running the barrel in and they weren't fast strings, just slow strings so I wasn't heating the barrel up and causing the groups to spread.

The Federals fared much better. 3 x 3 shot groups, two were just under 1", one had two about 1/4" apart and one flier a bit over an inch away. Considering the conditions, I am quite happy with that. It was freezing cold and very gusty and I was a bit distracted having guys come up and borrow my spotting scope, screw driver set, etc, etc (I am the range captain, I willl rock up a few hours early next time and do some relaxed shooting.

The only fault with the carbine is it always refuses to feed the last round in the magazine. The bolt strips it and as it is carried forward, the rear of the case drops down into the magazine and jams. The first four rounds feed nicely, but that last one, Grrrrrrrrrrrrr! I will have a talk to the gun shop guy.

He had ten 223 scope / rifle combo packages ordered, but cancelled them when he found out that they were all fast twist barrels.

My mate is a long range target shooter and he has gifted me a packet of WInchester N.R.A.A Ammo which has a 69Gn HPBT. They should suit the gun better.

Hickok
07-07-2014, 10:16 AM
I have a Ruger Hawkeye Compact in 7.62x39 and love it.

In order to get tight groups off the bench, I have to hold the rifle tightly, and grip the forearm also on the rest, as it tends to want to jump around at the break of the shot. Mine is so light, I have to really tighten up on the grip it when shooting groups.

Four Fingers of Death
07-07-2014, 07:33 PM
Good idea Hickok, I do that for milsurp and lever action rifle. I will try that next time. I will also try another box of the PPU, it is pretty popular ammo here and I am sure should shoot a lot better. It is way cheap. If it doesn't work, I will use the rest of the box for barrel fouling shots or plinking or whatever.

Nrut
07-08-2014, 03:05 AM
Mic,
Read shortactionsmokers post @ 6/22/14 10:55 am..

Might be the cure for your last round feeding problem..

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8961722/Re_Latest_on_Ruger_American_22#Post8961722

If that doesn't work people with mag feeding problems are getting mag replacements from Ruger..
E-mail them and see what they say..

Four Fingers of Death
07-08-2014, 07:21 AM
Thanks Nrut, I will measure the lips tomorrow when I am in the garage. I have the mag and rifle with me, but the calipers are buried downstairs.

I just loaded the mag and pushed the cases out using my thumb. The first four rounds pop out firmly, but the base of the last round drops down into the mag even then!

W.R.Buchanan
07-08-2014, 01:30 PM
FFOD: I shoot pretty much all Recycled 55 gr FMJ bullets in my .223's, Mini 14, AR, and Kel-Tec SU16. None of these guns are tack drivers by any means and all have 1:9 twist bbls. but the accuracy of the AR and KT are in the 1-1.5" range. The Mini 14 is a little looser, but still good enough to shoot somebody out to 300 yards.

I think you'll find that most .223s nowadays are chambered .223/5.56 and have 1:9 barrels. If your gun has 1:8 then I would think it would do well with 55gr and up bullets or maybe 62 gr and up.

The light weight of that gun will make it an excellent walking around gun and the accuracy will surely be good enough for shooting rabbits (which I understand you have plenty of down there) and things up to small deer and goats.

My experience with my Scout Rifle shows that the Hammer Forged barrels just keep shooting better and better as time progresses.
I think you'll be very happy with your gun.

I sold my Sako Forester in .243 in the mid 80's and it was definitely a mistake. Those guns are running in the $1500 US range at gun shows and I haven't seen a good one yet. That gun would put anything I shot into the same 1" circle for as long as I chose to sit there. I think the Hammer Forged barrels are the answer.

Wish my brain had functioned better in my younger years. [smilie=b:

Randy

Four Fingers of Death
07-08-2014, 07:25 PM
I am happy with the rifle as it is a sweet little outfit and the Leupold VX3 2.5-8 scope matches it perfectly, just the magazine issues and even if it never feeds the last round I will just call it a four shot rifle and leave it at that. Nowwwwwwww,if I could just glue / braze a snap cap with a ramp filed into the rear of it so that the bolt rides over it, I would be good to go. Just a silly thought.

One of the guys on another thread mentioned that he left the mag charged to put tension on the lips for a few weeks which solved the problems for him. I have moved the mag tomy ammo cupboard with a round half out of the mag which seems to place the most pressure on the lips and see how this goes.

Four Fingers of Death
07-13-2014, 01:43 AM
Well, I loaded the mag, with the top round sticking out to put pressure on the forward mag lips and dumped it in the ammo drawer after posting my last message on the 7th and pulled it out this morning (the 13th). Went to the range and between range officer duties, looking after noob shooters and doing paperwork for the pistol club,I ended up shooting nine mags of five rounds without a hiccup The groups are improving dramatically as well.

Target grid squares are 1"

The first pic is how I stored the mag;

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/Rifles/Ruger%20American%20Compact%20223/RugerAmerican223mag_zpsa781fba8.jpg (http://s89.photobucket.com/user/4fingermick/media/Rifles/Ruger%20American%20Compact%20223/RugerAmerican223mag_zpsa781fba8.jpg.html)

I am 66, have a heart condition and suffer shortness of breath and have a pretty basic benchrest set up, so the groups are ok, but obviously with a steadier hand would be way better.

Ammo used was 223 Federal Vital Shok Premium. This is a special load for Australia, using the classic 52Gn Speer HP.

Bench rest group;
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/Rifles/Ruger%20American%20Compact%20223/20140713RAmerCompact223Bench_zps6f4326b0.jpg (http://s89.photobucket.com/user/4fingermick/media/Rifles/Ruger%20American%20Compact%20223/20140713RAmerCompact223Bench_zps6f4326b0.jpg.html)

another Bench Rest group;
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/Rifles/Ruger%20American%20Compact%20223/20140713RAmerCompact223Bench2_zps0edb2d1a.jpg (http://s89.photobucket.com/user/4fingermick/media/Rifles/Ruger%20American%20Compact%20223/20140713RAmerCompact223Bench2_zps0edb2d1a.jpg.html )

A group shot sitting with my elbows on the bench, no benchrest;

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/Rifles/Ruger%20American%20Compact%20223/20140713RAmerCompact223sitsuported_zps1064778a.jpg (http://s89.photobucket.com/user/4fingermick/media/Rifles/Ruger%20American%20Compact%20223/20140713RAmerCompact223sitsuported_zps1064778a.jpg .html)

NVScouter
07-14-2014, 10:37 AM
That should pop a few critter's eyes out!

Four Fingers of Death
07-14-2014, 03:43 PM
It surely will. I am so pleased that it has started pulling it's weight. I think we will have lots of early morning and evening walks together.

Four Fingers of Death
07-16-2014, 06:00 AM
Went to the range today as well, fired five magazines full, not one hiccup. Obviously the mag lips being too tight at the front is the issue. The groups were nothing to write home about as it was miserable cold and gusting badly, but a bad day at the range is way better than a good day anywhere else.

W.R.Buchanan
07-16-2014, 06:08 PM
FFOD: good to hear that this gun is working out for you. I am pretty fond of the current crop of "Generic Guns." They are very utilitarian and virtually impervious to the elements, and at the prices they are getting they are affordable by just about anyone.

This opens up shooting to many more people who couldn't afford to buy anything that was worth shooting before.

I personally am of a mind that if a gun will do 1" then it is good to go for anything I will do with it. I will even accept 2" in some cases, and with my Red Dot Sights on several guns that I deem to be 300 yard guns, if a gun will shoot 3" it will still accomplish it's intended usage.

With that gun shooting 1" this early in it's life, I don't think there is a rabbit anywhere in OZ that is safe!

Shoot 'em all,,,, I heard there are plenty more where they came from.

Randy

Four Fingers of Death
07-17-2014, 02:55 AM
You are right there WRB. It is ready to go afield. My friend who owns a horse stud, which is not really operating at the moment, more retirement home for him and his wife and a few horses adjisted out. Buys some scrawny sheep and cattle in spring to keep the grass and fire hazard down in summer, but enjoys the native wildlife and has lots of beautiful native birds. His wife rang this morning and said they have a fox problem and there is plenty of evidence of coloured feathers from killed native birds. So the Compact's first job will be to take Brer Fox out. I will would normally use a whistle and lure him in,but they are breeding at the moment and probably won't answer it,so it will sneak and stalk time. I'm looking forward to it.

Speaking of economy rifles, I popped into the gun shop today to check out the Steyr rifles that are on special for $1100 and the shop owner bought out my new 17WSM B Mag Savage. They had sent the first one back because it couldn't get better than 3" groups and the importer replaced it with a new one. So now that I have the Ruger American Compact sorted, I now have another project.

W.R.Buchanan
07-17-2014, 01:31 PM
You do keep busy. ;)

Randy

Four Fingers of Death
07-17-2014, 08:35 PM
Pity I can't sell guns as efficiently as I can buy them :(

richhodg66
07-18-2014, 09:41 AM
Pity I can't sell guns as efficiently as I can buy them :(

Seems to be my problem as well. Fortunately, I have an understanding wife.

I recently got a Mossberg MVP predator, but it has gotten sidetracked for various reasons. Truthfully, I don't shoot much with jacketed anymore, but the concept of the rifle intrigued me. Hopefully, it'll be a good shooter. My 30 year old plain jane Savage 110 in .223 will rip single hole groups with nearly anything I handload for it, but it is pretty big and heavy and has the old, slower twist. Kansas recently changed the law to allow .22 centerfires on deer, so the MVP may find it's way to that end eventually.

Those Ruger Americans are selling lot hotcakes in the US. I'm kind of a blued steel and walnut guy myself, but a good rough duty rifle certainly has its appeal.

Four Fingers of Death
07-18-2014, 11:35 PM
My wife is on a needs to know basis, she doesn't need to know! haha! Nowwwwwwwwwwww, if this clever Aussie crowd would make these for Ruger Americans! http://www.lumleyarms.com/#!rem-700/c1m9p

Four Fingers of Death
07-23-2014, 04:14 AM
Hit the range for a short shoot this afternoon, first group, best group, running out of day, the next groups were fired on a warmish barrel and opened up a tad, but still good. This group is 3/4" with Federal Vital Shok factory ammo. If doesn't get much better than this!

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/Rifles/Ruger%20American%20Compact%20223/20140723RugerAmerCompact223_zps6acdbefa.jpg (http://s89.photobucket.com/user/4fingermick/media/Rifles/Ruger%20American%20Compact%20223/20140723RugerAmerCompact223_zps6acdbefa.jpg.html)

Three44s
08-10-2014, 05:23 PM
I made two mistakes and repeated the first lately.

1) I handled a Ruger compact in a local shop

2) I read this thread .........

I'll see if will power overcomes the lure of the Ruger compact .....

I have two choices at hand .......... a .223 and the .22-250 ...... they are $369 w/o sales tax locally.

I am reluctant to buy the .22-250 with such a short barrel ......... I have plenty of .223 fire sticks already ......... I have plenty of brass for either but a mountain of .223 .........

Decisions ......... but there is still time to back away ........... we'll see!

Best regards

Three 44s

Four Fingers of Death
08-10-2014, 07:47 PM
Good luck with that! haha!

Three44s
11-07-2014, 09:19 PM
The Ruger compact in .223 won out and one followed me home last evening!

Sweet little gun and got to put it on paper with some 55 gr. Rem. factory FMJ's.

Handloads and 55gr. Hornady SX's next!

However, I am not afraid that my wife will not like the gun ......... I am afraid she'll take it away and CLAIM IT!

I'll have to go back and get another one?

Best regards

Three 44s

Four Fingers of Death
11-08-2014, 04:16 AM
The gun shop guys and the sales rep said kost of the compacts were being bought by or for women. I'm a bit of a giant, but the little rifles press my buttons.

Hickok
11-08-2014, 08:12 AM
Very good groups from a lightweight rifle. Don't put down your shooting ability, as I believe you are getting excellent results from this rifle, probably the maximum the rifle will do!:D

762 shooter
11-08-2014, 08:22 AM
FFOD,

I have the Ruger American Standard barrel in 223 and it shoots SMK 69's pushed by Varget like a laser.

I had the same mag issue at first, but haven't had a hiccup since.

Great shooting rifle at any price. Even better at $319.

Fire away.

Four Fingers of Death
11-08-2014, 09:29 AM
Thanks Hickok. Glad your rifle worked out 7.62. I fancy one in 7/08 or 308.

Three44s
11-27-2014, 10:08 PM
Got my RAC in .223 on paper for groups this AM.

Running a J-word, the Hornady 55 gr. SX the very first group went 3 shots @ .475" (with a 4x Weaver scope)

These are not the first rounds out of this rifle by me but they are the first handloads.

The powder (you might want to sit down on this) was Reloder 11 ..... yes, eleven.

It's an obsolete number that a friend acquired from a deceased friend's estate. I have shot some extraordinary groups with it out of my sporter .204 Ruger in a Savage short action so I thought ...... what the heck this powder needs to be turned into smoke while it can still turn heads!

I shot two more groups and the wind came up ...... I seem to be able to generate wind by merely bringing a fire stick and a target out into daylight these days!! The groups opened up a little ....... I think the worst was .745" and then it was time to get back into the house and clean up for T-day feasting!

I have the next group's loads loaded ....... we will see!

Best regards and good shooting!

Three 44s

Four Fingers of Death
11-28-2014, 06:42 PM
Great shooting three44s. I hope the T Day feed went well. They say you tend to generate more wind as you get older.

Three44s
11-28-2014, 08:31 PM
Thank you sir!

Yes, indeed the "feed" went very well. ........ I am relieved ... well pun intended ...... that it's getting "windier" due to my increasing age ...... I don't have to apologize for a natural occurence do I? LOL!

But the truth is ........ I shot these groups before the feed and the wind was already blowing hard ....... weather related wind that is ..... LOL!

Three 44s

rhbrink
11-29-2014, 06:43 AM
Question? Is it possible to single feed a loaded round into the port and push it into the chamber? This would be as in not using the magazine the loaded rounds would probably be too long to feed through the magazine anyway. This is the way that I use most of my bolt action rifles anyway, I never use the magazine unless I would be hunting.

RB

rintinglen
11-29-2014, 09:30 AM
Got my RAC in .223 on paper for groups this AM.

I shot two more groups and the wind came up ...... I seem to be able to generate wind by merely bringing a fire stick and a target out into daylight these days!!

Three 44s

I thought that was my super power! The last two times I went out, all was still, until I began to unload the truck! I have a 308 American than I need to get on paper and have been casting an envious eye on these .223 compacts. All reports seem to indicate they shoot good to "fishing-story" excellent.

Three44s
11-29-2014, 09:02 PM
rintinglen,

What you do is bring a portable wind turbine and set that up ...... the wind will die in it's tracks!

You start to make money off the wind and it will be dead as the do do bird!

As to your question, I am afraid I don't have an answer. My .223 RAC seems to be short throated enough so I have not run out of room in the magazine ......... but that's just with 55 gr. flat base spitzers (all I have tried thus far) ...... so I just load my magazine up with the test loads.

Best regards

Three 44s

Four Fingers of Death
11-30-2014, 10:07 AM
My origons with bolt guns were SMLEs and Mauser 98s. I was taught in the Army Cadets to load the mag and even did that with a scoped rifle (charger clip loaded otherwise) and Mausers are loaded into the mag to save the extractor. I've never really loaded single rounds. I have a feeling that I tried to when I was having mag troubles and the American was not fond of it at all.

rhbrink
11-30-2014, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the reply Four fingers' most of my shooting is single shots and if I do shot a bolt gun I always just drop a round on the magazine follower and feed it into the action. I do have a couple of controlled feed actions and then start a round about half way into the magazine and then make sure that the bolt grabs it before pushing into the chamber. Since the Ruger American has a 8 inch twist I was thinking about a 75 or 80 grain bullet and even a cast bullet like the new NOE 227 80 grain bullet but I can almost bet that it is too long to fit in the magazine.

I was looking one over a while back and it appeared to me with the small ejection port and the way the magazine sets low in the action that feeding single shot might not be very user friendly. Just guessing.

RB

Four Fingers of Death
11-30-2014, 06:06 PM
I'll try and get to the range today with it. Last shoot before heading off on a camping trip which will take me up until Christmas. I'll let you know.

Three44s
11-30-2014, 06:20 PM
I can't tell you if the cartridge would ride in successfully with the rifle horizontal but I just finnished a range session and tried a round with the muzzle down. The extractor did ride over the rim and extract an unfired round. ......... for what it's worth.

The more I shoot this Ruger American compact the more I am impressed ......... save for one thing ..... the trigger. It's not a bad trigger ....... and yes, I did adjust it lighter than the Lawyer setting ........ it is this:

The trigger is not up to the rifle's accuracy capability!

I absolutely cherrish this rifle!

I am swamping around like a sick duck with a FOUR X Weaver scope at 100 yds and get clover leafs!

My packin' load as of now is shooting at 3 @ .325" (Hdy 55 gr. SX)

Sub .5 MOA was the norm as I ran my loads up ......... and I know that an improvement on the trigger beyond what I could adjust would yield better. A couple of the powder charges netted a group with two in the same hole.

I had given up hope that we'd see another "Remington 788" come around. Well, Ruger has bettered it!

I have no idea what the lock time on these are but the way I was dancing over the paper ......... it must be FAST!

Three 44s

rhbrink
11-30-2014, 07:36 PM
I appreciate your reports!

Thank you.

RB

Three44s
12-01-2014, 02:19 AM
Found this over at Firing Line forum:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=519494

Three 44s

Four Fingers of Death
12-01-2014, 07:35 AM
I took the compact to the range today, fed rounds loaded singly no problem.

rhbrink
12-01-2014, 08:16 AM
I took the compact to the range today, fed rounds loaded singly no problem.
Thanks again, just guessing throw them into the port and close the bolt and all worked fine?

Now your going to make me go spend some money:bigsmyl2:

RB

Four Fingers of Death
12-01-2014, 08:41 AM
Seemed to work best when I just threw them in.

Three44s
12-03-2014, 02:10 AM
I had some time this evening and pulled my Compact from the stock and opened the trigger according to the thread over at firing line (the link above).

But, you know the drill ........ I am not advocating you try this ...... it is merely offered for it's entertainment value or something like that! :bigsmyl2:

I inspected the spring they write about clipping and rather than do that, I raided one of my ball point pens (a free one of course!).

The spring is within a few thous. of the same over all diameter and longer and softer. So I shortened the one from my pen, straightened out and re-curled it the best I could. I managed to install the repurposed pen spring in place of the stiffer Ruger original.

I now have a 2#

I am not so sure that I will stick with that spring. I may go shopping for an intermediate one between the original and my redneck spring. My preference would be less creep and more pull than where I am now.

I also did a little sanding on the barrel channel ........ one side was just a wee bit close/gently touching.

I changed to a 3-9 power scope a friend loaned me ........ I was going to raid my stash of mounted scopes and a friend brought his spare out before I could get to mine.

Did not get it back on paper this evening ...... too dark too soon and for $%@%$ sure ........ TOO COLD!

Maybe tomorrow?

Three 44s

Four Fingers of Death
12-03-2014, 08:56 AM
Don't you just hate that?? ����

Three44s
12-03-2014, 10:28 AM
Well .... YES! LOL!

I have rechargeable LED lights ....... I can and have used with good results ......... but the cold ..... that's a hard one .......... there are much colder places out in the midwest right now but we were running about 13 deg F last evening.

A friend and his son dropped by on the way to late season archery camp and we sat inside by the fire and talked guns instead. ....... then they were off to their tent ...... burr!

Best regards

Three 44s

Scooby
12-17-2014, 08:12 PM
[QUOTE=I had given up hope that we'd see another "Remington 788" come around. Well, Ruger has bettered it! Three 44s[/QUOTE]

I used to be a 788 lover I had a 3030, 222, 22-250, 308, and 243. My dad had a lefty 6mm rem. loved those guns however I do not have any of them now, sure wish I too were smarter in years past. I own 2 of the Ruger American compacts one in 223 and one in 308. I have about 100 rounds down the 223 and the 308 is still nib have not got around to cleaning it and mounting scope. It seams the more I shoot the 223 the tighter the groups get. I give these rifles 2 thumbs up for price and shooting ability they are all around a good gun.

vmathias
02-12-2015, 12:48 PM
I bought the standard size American in 243 2 years ago. Absolutely LOVE this rifle for the price. Accuracy is right there with savage rifles I have owned. I bought the RCBS 100g cast mold and loaded some up. I am running these casts from 1300-1600fps. The hotter loads 1600 plus were grouping at 1.4 inches at 70 yards. I am not done tweaking and think if I run these a little faster I will be able to hit 1" at 100 as the groups seem to get tighter as velocity climbs. There are a lot of "budget rifles" on the market today that are just that, "budget". I dont really consider this a budget rifle with the quality and accuracy I get. Will definitely purchase another American in the 223 compact. Note: Water jug test with half gallon milk jug at 70 yards. Jug exploded up in the air flying approx 3 feet above the target at 70 yards. I am developing these loads strictly for coyote.

Three44s
02-13-2015, 11:10 AM
For ranch work, I pack my .223 compact everyday. My "American Express Rifle" if you will .... don't leave the house without it!

I never beat guns up on purpose and never would this one as well but if a scratch or scuff happens ......... and it's not affecting the rifle's purpose, it's a badge of honor with this one.

Best regards

Three 44s

JeffinNZ
02-23-2015, 09:59 PM
I asked my LGS proprietor for ideas for a rifle for my eldest daughter (10) for smaller game and he suggested .223 Compact by Ruger. I have a slight bias against Ruger on the basis that in the past their barrels have been sub par. Reports now appear much better. Much as I would prefer a Savage for the wee girl weight and fit will be the major factors.

How do you compare the Ruger Compact and Savage Axis?

Three44s
02-24-2015, 01:19 AM
My .223 compact picks up the last round in the magazine just fine with both supplied ........ but there are a bunch of them here that are not ....... and going back to Ruger.

I like mine so much that if it did that, I'd overlook that flaw ..... but that's me.

A lot of the other buyers were not so amuzed.

My point is that before I bought one in another nation, I'd insist the store prove that the particular rifle did pick it up ......... I can't imagine what a return would involve?

I really like Savage's and Steven's and do builds on them, but I don't get that warm about the Axis ........ again ..... I suppose it's more personal ......... I have gotten used to the former and the Axis is just enough different ........ but a lot of folks DO like the Axis ........

I will note this .......... If you want a truly compact ........ it's pretty hard to best the Compact for the money.

About it's only rival in that size for me is my CZ 527 American.

I drag the Ruger around the ranch to save my CZ which I really cherrish!

Three 44s

Four Fingers of Death
02-24-2015, 01:27 AM
Leaving the mag loaded for a week or two fixed the problem for me. A tip from some hero on this
forum.

revolvergeek
02-24-2015, 05:13 PM
Y'all are killing me. I didn't even know these .223 Compacts existed two days ago, but now...

Four Fingers of Death
02-24-2015, 07:44 PM
They are such a neat little package and the same length as a lever rifle with a 20" barrel.

Four Fingers of Death
05-30-2020, 09:30 AM
I'd forgotten about this thread.
The 223 Worked out so well I bought another compact in 308Win.
I was cashed up a year or two ago and bought a VX6 1-6X24 and was going to fit it to my 7600Remington, but changed my mind.
It will go on the RAC 308.
Lockdown and the associated BS has closed our range down and things are just starting to loosen up, so it will be in action soon hopefully.
Outwardly, it is identical to the 223.

Three44s
05-31-2020, 04:06 AM
Hey,

I still have my RAC in 223 but have not added to that herd. No flies on the Ruger Americans of any stripe however. Two winters ago we had a blizzard (unusual for my area in Central WA) and the coyotes were feasting on our baby newborn calves. I started packin’ that .223 RAC and I managed to take out eight of them from the back of the hay wagon in seven days.

One shot was from 305 yds. That coyote was walking down a well worn cow trail in deep snow. Just his back showing, he stopped for a moment to look back (flip me off). Mr. Bill Ruger allowed him to bleed out for at least the next 150 yds of trail. We never found that coyote and I hate cripples but I assure you all, that coyote was walking dead because I have never seen so much red on so much white back ground.

I think the bullet likely went through some fresh snow and then struck the coyote so it was already opening when it hit him, hence it was like an IED going off inside it.

If I had ranged the coyote I would likely not tried that shot what with such a small amount of the coyote being revealed as we are talking 4” of its back showing above the trail edges.

I am disappointed that Ruger seems to have dropped making the Compact in .223. I do not understand that.

The length of pull in .223 matters little with a low recoil round like that. I have always wondered how it would be in more robust cartridges?

I ended up with a good friend’s work rifle. He was a predator hunter for a local Tribe and the gun is a CZ 527 American in .204 but they forced his retirement! It fits in around here with my .233 of the same stripe that I bought right after my friend bought this .204.

I have a lot of really accurate rifles with really good loads but this particular CZ in 204 puts all my other rifles to SHAME, seriously! Even including my 6mm BR!

The previous owner had it doing one hole with the factory Hornady 32 gr V Max but no handloads could approach it. I found the same condition but I resolved to fix that!

Out came the USP bore paste, and down went the handload group size!

Factory and handloads are lasers and one holers alike. She is a sub 2 tenths gun all around now! There is one big problem: If I brag on that rifle and then miss a shot, well you can see how that turns out!

Being a nice wood stocked rifle however that 204 is not my everyday drag around ranch rifle .... the Ruger American Compact in .223 still reigns in that department! They are short enough to get out of a truck quietly and beyond light for toting!

Best regards

Three44s

Four Fingers of Death
05-31-2020, 04:37 AM
Those 204s are an amazing bit of kit.
I have managed to resist the temptation so far.

Three44s
05-31-2020, 05:05 AM
Well, I passed them over because I am leery about new cartridges failing to catch on and having to scrounge for brass so when I bought my CZ I played safe and went 223.

That was in 2005

I later built a Savage bolt gun into a 204, first as a varmint weight (heavy for a truck gun) and then switched to a sporter barrel and was hooked!

Now this CZ in 204 came into the picture and it beats the whole pack (my Savage is a 3 tenths gun, the CZ a sub 2 tenths one) so its a real sweets pie!

Three44s

Four Fingers of Death
05-31-2020, 08:25 AM
My friend and his wife own a very big farm and grazing property (ranch I suppose) and are keen shooters. They are busy running the place during the day, so mostly spotlight pests such as rabbits, hares, foxes and goats of a night from their 4wd. Because of the fact that most of the paddocks are at least 500 yards across they have always used 22/250s and go through a new barrel nost years.
He saw the 204s when they came out and bought one out of curiosity. His wife took it off him after using it and now they use the 204s for everything.

Texas by God
05-31-2020, 09:07 AM
Those 204s are an amazing bit of kit.
I have managed to resist the temptation so far.Me too. But I'm getting weak.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Three44s
05-31-2020, 10:03 AM
Right after I finished my first 204 build on a Savage short action I had a coyote run out of the bushes. It ran up a draw out of sight but on a hunch, I set up for a shot. Sure enough it had to have just one more look back and it circled back on the hillside nearest to me and was peeking at me from behind a rock ledge. I had the head, neck and the front edge it’s shoulder for a target.

Oh, and 275 yds ......

.................and it was broadside except for its head being twisted towards me .... lol!

I was propped up in the front door jam of a Chevy Suburban.

At the shot I saw the result before I momentarily lost the scope picture.

There was a large rock on the opposite side of the coyote.

I struck it in the neck, the V-max did not even exit, the coyote was thrown against the boulder and rolled over it. The image of the bottom of its feet following it over the top and rolling to the ground landing on its back was the image I saw as the scope picture began drifting off my target and it replays in my head every time I handle a 204.

The Ruger Compact was made in .204 for a time if I remember, I tried to get one for my father but was unsuccessful. He might of ended up with my .223 instead .... ha ha! I would expect the MV to be a little less with that shorter barrel but as fast a cartridge as it is and having the rifle more regularly along with you creates a great advantage.

Best regards

Three44s

gordie
05-31-2020, 06:06 PM
i love to carry my Compact in .308...

if you like muzzleblast u will like shooting yours too. :-P

Three44s
06-03-2020, 02:27 AM
A local shop had two in 22-250 a few years ago and I pondered bringing one home but I figured it would be noisy and less efficient.

Three44s

Four Fingers of Death
06-03-2020, 06:46 AM
Compact Loudenboomer!

Three44s
06-03-2020, 09:48 AM
LOL!

Three44s

Texas by God
06-03-2020, 02:09 PM
I had a Ruger Compact .243 and while loud, it was a perfect quick handling truck gun. A Commanche talked me out of it with folding money, so I hemmed and hawed- then "bobbed" my Tikka T3 22-250 to 19"- thinking I'd regret it. Nope! While loud, it is still lazer accurate and to regain any lost velocity- that's what 40 grain V- Maxes are for! One deer and several pigs and various vermin later- I love my little snubby.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Im keeping my eyes peeled for a 700 adl .204 such as Academy used to sell. In a few years, God willing, I want to start prairie doggin' again and I think that .204 will excel at it!

Three44s
06-04-2020, 06:23 AM
I know a fellow who retired at a fairly young age and really went deep into shooting etc.

He was into .20 caliber before it was “cool” and was making his own slugs, went into moly coating and some bench rest but mainly shooting squirrels and PD’s.

He tried the .204 after it came out as well.

When it was all said and done he returned to his own wildcat he designed: His creation was a hybrid between a .20/.221 and a .20/.223.

He wanted more poop than the Fireball gave him but less heat than a .223 case did so he had his very own reamer made. The .204 came out right after I saw him but his Son in Law told me that he tried the cartridge and sold that rifle because it was a “bit much”.

Now I do not get my .204’s that hot but I do my load development and then hunt coyotes with it, I do not do PD’s as I do not have any and really do not take time to kill my “gray diggers” with it so the round count is pretty low.

So I guess it all comes down to how much ammo you would go through in a days time. I suppose that a less fast rifle could do the trick for closer PD’s and then use a .204 for the longer bombs until the wind comes up then switch to something less wind prone.

That truck gun concept is right in my wheel house. My RAC is inexpensive enough I do not have to worry about minor scratches and portable enough so as to not be a pain to drag around with me between truck, tractor or self-propelled hay baler! Having a detachable magazine means that going out on a public road does not necessarily turn me into a criminal!

Three44s

Four Fingers of Death
06-04-2020, 08:21 PM
Dead set handy little truck rifle. I like the fact that mine fits in the lock up drawers at the back of my 30 year Nissan Patrol 4WD Wagon. The RACs and my lever rifles and my 22LR BRNO Model2 are the only ones that do that.

Coming from Australiam it took me awhile to figure out what PDs were. I also ride motorcycles, BMWs in the main and PDs are copies of the BMW Paris Dakkar Offroad desert racing motorcycles (of which I have one). HaHa.

Three44s
06-05-2020, 09:20 AM
You raise a good point! In some circles that could raise some real eye brows or in others, embolden some one who is a nut job, witness our news lately.

The correct grammar .... prairie dogs!

For the life of me, I do not understand why Ruger dropped making the RAC in .223 and .204! They are so handy to have around when needed and economical to buy.

Best regards

Three44s

Four Fingers of Death
03-20-2021, 01:38 AM
It appears that they make the Ranch version in 223 with a Bbl slightly over 16" but the 204 in the Predator version (I think that was it) in 204 has a 22" Bbl.
The 204 in the compact probably didn't achieve enough sales to survive, but the 223s were flying off the shelves. Who knows?

I bought my 308Win Compact last year in May I think, our range was closed so getting it set up was held up a bit.
Then I was on the ropes with health matters, the blood thinning meds my cardiologist insisted on didn't work as well as the old Coumadin / Warfrin rat poison (which could be measured unlike the new fangled meds) caused a clot on my heart, which broke off and lodged in my spleen, killing off a third of it. In and out of hospital a few times.
Consequently, the 308 is still sitting in the safe.
I must get the lead out and get it rocking!

Cosmic_Charlie
03-20-2021, 03:53 AM
I have a .308 compact. Shoots gas checked 180 grains nicely with it's 1/10 twist. I bedded it into a Boyd's laminated stock which makes it a heavy rifle. Shoots great though.

Four Fingers of Death
03-20-2021, 08:43 AM
Shoots gas checked 180 grains nicely with it's 1/10 twist.

That's good to know, I will have to get my moulds out and dusted off, haha.
I have several group buy moulds, one I loaned to a friend, drops almost 200Gn boolits, he called them cruise missiles.
I also have the 130Gn soup can group buy mould, that might work as a plinker.
I missed out on the Ranch Dog 30cal mould that I fancied for my 30/30s.

Cosmic_Charlie
03-20-2021, 03:11 PM
I used a Lee round nose type and it feeds good. The newer updated magazines don't feed those boolits though.

Krag 1901
03-23-2021, 10:09 PM
Years ago I bought a Ruger 77 Compact in .308 Win from a friend and thought it super as a walking rifle. 20" bbl and some years later bought a Compact R77 MkII in .223. The .308 is accurate and the .223 mediocre, but I've decided to work on it this spring. I shoot only boolets now in the .308 and have had very good luck with the Lee 312-155-2R boolet in the .308, and the 314-299 200 gr Lyman, sized .311".

I've been shooting2400, IMR-4198 and similar powders with good results at 1600-1800 fps and will be experimenting with slower powders for up over 2,000 fps. Had some encouraging groups with H-322 and RL10x so far.