PDA

View Full Version : Revolver reload length

AllOutdoors.22
06-27-2014, 08:54 PM
Do you guys reload right to the end of the cylinder? Is there any downfall to this practice? I just picked up a S&W 386 XL Hunter .357 Mag. and I found that I can load the Rem.180gr. to the crimp groove and it will fit in the cylinder but just barely...I am not sure of the velocity I can achieve with this 180gr. Bullet but would like to try it. This would would be my deer load for this fall...

Also is it necessary to use magnum primers with the .357 Mag? TIA!

osteodoc08
06-27-2014, 09:05 PM
I have to load out my heavy 41 boolits to 1.710" which just barely fits the cylinder of my Smith. My Redhawk still has plenty of cylinder left. If the boolits jump crimp, it'll tie up the gun in the smith.

Just remember that seating depth plays a major role in pressure. For extreme examples, see what setback can do to your autos.....kaboom. Same with a revolver. Gotta be mindful of OAL and pressure.

osteodoc08
06-27-2014, 09:08 PM
Magnum primers are needed with certain powders like 296. Not necessary with others like 231. Some like using magnum primers for all loads, but personally, I only use them in hunting loads and with 296. Even something as small as a primer change can change your pressures so work up your loads with every change. Even if same powder but different lots if on the edge.

AllOutdoors.22
06-28-2014, 07:01 AM
Thanks osteodoc08, great advice...I always seem to worry bout something when I reload for a new gun and this one have two. Cutting the top strap and using to heavy a bullet seated out to far and tying up the cylinder. I would like to get the Rem. 158gr. bullets to try to but no one has them. That would give me a little clearance but till I find them, the 180's will work. Thanks again!

osteodoc08
06-28-2014, 07:12 AM
Top strap cutting/flame cutting, in my experience, is typically seen when using light for caliber bullets and stiff loads of ball powder. An example would be using 110/125gr bullets with max loads of 296 in your 357.

I load the MP 360-180 WFNGC to the crimp groove with room to spare in my 586. I imagine the 586 and your 386 have near identical cylinder specs for length.

What bullet/boolit are you using and what powder just for curiosity. OAL?

AllOutdoors.22
06-28-2014, 07:48 AM
COL is 1.658 and the bullet is pictured below. I love it in my .357 Max. but I think it is a little heavy in the Mag. That's why I'm trying to find the 158gr.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/28/edugy7uq.jpg

Tatume
06-28-2014, 08:36 AM
My most recent experiments are with RCBS 35-200-FN 210 grain bullets in the 357 Rem Mag. They are loaded with IMR4227. The length is about 0.020" shy of protruding. Velocity is over 1000 fps, accuracy is excellent, and recoil is mild in the four-inch S&W Model 686.

AllOutdoors.22
06-28-2014, 08:45 AM
Tatume, do u use magnum primers with this load? I definitely want to try this load out but was unsure how the recoil would be with the heavier bullet and also need to figure how much energy I'd have at 50 yds. to see if I could use this as a deer load...I do have IMR 4227 so I will have to look into using some of that up...

44man
06-28-2014, 08:51 AM
Boolit jump to the cone is not a thing to worry about but fitting right to the cylinder end can tie a gun up if the boolit moves. Seen cast factory .454 loads lock a gun, Freedom and SRH, in two shots.
Small pistol primers are not as drastic as LP mags so a SP mag is OK. Yet you still need case tension. 296 in the .357 might do better with a SP mag but in the .44 I will never use a LP mag with 296.
Case tension is what holds boolits, not crimp. Crimp is just an additional aid. A loose boolit will not stay put with any crimp.

44man
06-28-2014, 09:05 AM
Don't worry about top strap cutting in a .357. It was a problem with the .357 max because of the pressures. Same in the .454 at the start. Some bullets shot the cores out and left jackets in the bore. I used a 200 gr rifle bullet in my Ruger max with a dose of 4227 for IHMSA.
They came out with magnum bullets but not what you want in a .357 for deer.

Tatume
06-28-2014, 09:05 AM
Tatume, do u use magnum primers with this load? I definitely want to try this load out but was unsure how the recoil would be with the heavier bullet and also need to figure how much energy I'd have at 50 yds. to see if I could use this as a deer load...I do have IMR 4227 so I will have to look into using some of that up...

Standard small pistol primers work just fine. If it were extremely cold I would consider magnum primers, but we don't get enough cold weather here to even do the experiments.

Recoil is surprisingly mild.

I don't believe energy has much to do with the killing ability of handguns, although you do have to comply with state game laws. Here in Virginia 350 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle is the legal minimum. This loading makes 480 foot pounds.

Penetration is the most important factor, and I expect this long bullet, with sectional density 0.234, will easily give complete penetration on deer. The flat point should make a good wound channel too. It will never match a 44 Magnum or larger cartridge, but it should work well.

Take care, Tom

44man
06-28-2014, 09:21 AM
Energy transfer is still needed in the right place and ME figures do not explain or kill. The reason I do not own a .357 is the hard choice to find the right bullet/boolit. Failure is a hole with no internal damage or a bullet stop before penetration. A meplat will not change that either. The .357 needs just right expansion with full penetration.
When I need to find a deer that went over 200 yards, open it and find a nice clean hole through both lungs like a sharp stick was poked, it is back to the bench for me. You will not find a deer either when a boolit made 6" and came apart. The impact to the deer was not any more then the recoil you felt.

GP100man
06-28-2014, 09:24 AM
I try for .020" from the face of the cyl. But if going to the knuckles do this, load 6 rounds & fire 5 , measure the sixth for any movement.

As 44man stated & I agree totally with em , case tension is what holds the projectile , the roll crimp is to prevent the projectile from being bumped deeper & to facilitate feeding into chambers.

If they "jump" the crimp try a cifferent batch/brand of brass before abandoning the heavies in the 357, also the slow burners are a must , I like IMR 4227 , it`s not in the upper fps but it sure is alot less "snappy" on recoil on these ole wrench turners hands & wrists.

I have the NOE 360-180 that weigh 187gr plain based & solid point that hit like a mini sledge hammer on our 150# coastal deers.