PDA

View Full Version : So another question with a surely obvious awnser

TaylorS
06-27-2014, 06:49 PM
I've been making up some 223 loads to test out tomorrow and I can't seem to get my bullet seating right I can get it close and tweak it to perfection but if I get it just right and one stroke the next one I'll loose .003-.006 each time wth am I doin wrong? And no I haven't trimmed any cases other then a debur and chamfer. all brass well under stretch limits.

Ickisrulz
06-27-2014, 07:06 PM
How are you measuring the cartridge? Are you using cast bullets?

TaylorS
06-27-2014, 07:15 PM
Yes on the case no on the cast 70gr Speer spritzer sp

Ickisrulz
06-27-2014, 07:29 PM
Yes on the case no on the cast 70gr Speer spritzer sp

What do you mean by, "Yes on the case?" You aren't measuring the lead portion of the SP are you? These get dinged and have different lengths. You need a fixture that will allow you to obtain consistent readings using the ogive.

TaylorS
06-27-2014, 07:31 PM
Hmm I noticed the lead was gooberd on a few of them and wrote that off on it

TaylorS
06-27-2014, 07:31 PM
I'll try some fmj in a couple days see if it's more consistant

joesig
06-27-2014, 07:39 PM
If you load 10 cases, the last is .03 to .06 shorter than the first and this is progressive? First one at 2.250 and last at 2.220? Or do they all vary from say 2.244 to 2.256 in over all length?

If they vary +/- I wouldn't worry about that as it is just the variance of the nose and is to be expected. Assuming you are measuring with calipers and not with a cartridge measurement tool. With that tool I bet you will see almost no variance.

If the rounds are getting progressively shorter, my only guess is some buildup in the seating stem. I could see that more with cast than with the Speer. I would want to make 20 rounds on the long side and see if it stabilizes and then run them in again to the desired length.

BTW, Crimp or no crimp?

Petrol & Powder
06-27-2014, 07:53 PM
So another question with a surely obvious answer

I'll try to answer your question but don't call me Shirley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A5t5_O8hdA

.22-10-45
06-27-2014, 07:55 PM
Check out Sinclair International..lots of tools for the precision handloader. What you need is their stainless bullet ogive comparator. used with std. caliper, it contacts bullet on ogive for consistant measurements..tool is hex. in shape..so you get 6 different calibers in one.

TaylorS
06-27-2014, 10:06 PM
My measures are before the crimp I'll tweak it til I have my 2.260 then the next round will be 2.264-2.255 OAL

TaylorS
06-27-2014, 10:08 PM
And I'll mess with it til I get the 3td one right then the 4th will be out of whack

Minerat
06-27-2014, 10:20 PM
Check out Sinclair International..lots of tools for the precision handloader. What you need is their stainless bullet ogive comparator. used with std. caliper, it contacts bullet on ogive for consistant measurements..tool is hex. in shape..so you get 6 different calibers in one.

Worth every penny. Only way to truly stay 10/1000's off the rifling when working on Max length loads. And no matter the bullet profile the length will be the same so you only have to worry about them fitting the magazine.

joesig
06-27-2014, 10:39 PM
The Sinclair or RCBS Precision Micrometer are a good investment one day. You'll see what you loaded will be consistent. These tools will also allow you to check the size of a fired and sized case so you know how much you are working the brass.

As far as tomorrow, if what you have loaded already fits in the magazine, they will be just fine. MAYBE the nose damage will affect your groups but really, not enough to worry about.

Love Life
06-27-2014, 11:43 PM
Get a comparator body and some inserts next time you load up your cart at your favorite online shooting stuff supplier.

David2011
06-28-2014, 02:59 AM
You'll chase measurements all evening if you measure to the tip of the bullet. You can improvise a comparator by drilling a hole smaller than the diameter of the bullet in a large hex nut. It has to be round (good American or European bit) and square (drill press) to be useful. If you have a digital caliper you can zero and just measure variation which will likely be lees than you thought once you start measuring from a consistent spot on the bullets.

David

Rory McCanuck
06-28-2014, 02:28 PM
Grab a handful of bullets and measure them base to tip.
I think you'll find your 0.003"-0.006" difference.

You'll chase measurements all evening if you measure to the tip of the bullet. You can improvise a comparator by drilling a hole smaller than the diameter of the bullet in a large hex nut. It has to be round (good American or European bit) and square (drill press) to be useful. If you have a digital caliper you can zero and just measure variation which will likely be lees than you thought once you start measuring from a consistent spot on the bullets.

David
Good advice, or just take the seating plug out of another die.
So long as it's resting on the ogive, not the tip, you'll get consistent measurements.

Or, don't worry about the 0.003" :bigsmyl2:

TaylorS
06-28-2014, 07:34 PM
Roger that I know it seems like splitting hairs but consistency is the basis of 1 hole groups lol. I'm a lil confined on bullet length with the 223, I've only got ARs for it. The rifle I'm working with now is my long range prarrie dog gun she's pretty tack ish but I think I can get the groups better with some hand done ammo. I'll get the bits out and see what I can build for a measuring stick!

joesig
06-28-2014, 10:21 PM
I thought Speer's 70 grainers were designed for deer? Are the PDs THAT well fed or is that all the budget allows? Just surprised if not a 69gr match bullet, why not something lighter with a plastic tip?

TaylorS
07-01-2014, 09:19 PM
Just what I snagged when I got to the reloading shop but yeah they've been somewhat uninhibited until I got this AR done ;) there thinning as I get time