PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with CFE Pistol anyone?

osteodoc08
06-27-2014, 10:48 AM
I found a pound at my LGS. Doing a little searching around, it will work in every singe pistol cartridge I load for. It is a faster powder with good velocity numbers. There is also load data for cast, which I was excited about. I casually asked the wife to go pick me up another pound or two today. After all, I did suprise her with some Victoria Secret Yoga shorts the other day and I'm constantly supplying her habits (smoking which I hate). I havent spent a dime on my gun stuff in almost a year. Everything I have is through barter or sell off my unwanted for cash to spend on other stuff, etc. I figured spending $25-50 on a new powder wouldnt be a huge deal. I'll see when I get home. LOL. I'm almost out of my 231 and need (another) alternative.

So who's used/using it and hows it working for you.

popper
06-27-2014, 12:07 PM
Same here, but haven't used it yet. I did find 2# of 4227. Cabelas had 20# or so of it. Not much else.

osteodoc08
06-27-2014, 02:01 PM
4227 is in the 296/2400 class. Slow magnum pistol class. I've never used it but would like to try it someday. I've noticed it seems to have a good reputation for accuracy as well.

I havent been been able to find a burn chart for the CFE Pistol powder but I'd imagine it's I the medium pistol category. Loading data seems to be a touch slower than one of my favs, 231. Seems to be similar to autocomp and longshot (at least in 45 acp 230gr)

petroid
06-27-2014, 02:15 PM
CFE pistol is one of the slower pistol powders. In the neighborhood of autocomp and hs-6. Quite a bit slower than 231. Hodgdon has a burn rate chart. Load data backs up the burn rate compared with other hodgdon/imr/win powders. Are you sure you aren't confusing burn rate with velocity? Slower powders can achieve higher velocity usually because you can use more powder without over pressure due to the slower burn rate. Faster powders can achieve similar velocity in some but not all cases with smaller charges. I have used a little in 40 and 9mm and it likes to be run near max. Lower charges are quite dirty

Bonz
06-27-2014, 02:24 PM
Here is the most current Burn Rate Chart

http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html

CFE Pistol is outstanding in .380 and very good in 9mm & .38 special. I am getting ready to load my first .40 S&W with CFE Pistol. It is definitely too slow for 45acp

osteodoc08
06-27-2014, 05:59 PM
CFE pistol is one of the slower pistol powders. In the neighborhood of autocomp and hs-6. Quite a bit slower than 231. Hodgdon has a burn rate chart. Load data backs up the burn rate compared with other hodgdon/imr/win powders. Are you sure you aren't confusing burn rate with velocity? Slower powders can achieve higher velocity usually because you can use more powder without over pressure due to the slower burn rate. Faster powders can achieve similar velocity in some but not all cases with smaller charges. I have used a little in 40 and 9mm and it likes to be run near max. Lower charges are quite dirty

I originally misspoke and corrected at 209pm. Probably the same time you were typing as your response was timed at 215.

i looked at the burn chart and didn't see it listed.

Either way, can't wait to try it.

osteodoc08
06-27-2014, 06:02 PM
Here is the most current Burn Rate Chart

http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html

CFE Pistol is outstanding in .380 and very good in 9mm & .38 special. I am getting ready to load my first .40 S&W with CFE Pistol. It is definitely too slow for 45acp

Ah, #44. I was looking at an older chart. Thanks for the references