PDA

View Full Version : Powder selection for .44 special

Animal
06-27-2014, 09:05 AM
Hello folks,

I'm in the mental preparation mode for developing a good cast load for a Charter Arms Target Bulldog in .44 special 4in. I'm not interested in anything hot, just mild. Probably on the hot side of mild. Yes, I know... seems a bit vague. Best way to put it, it would have to be recoil friendly enough for a healthy adult female to be able to practice with, yet powerful enough to retain it's reputation of a man-stopper. I'll be starting with 240gr commercial cast bullets I have on the shelf collecting dust. Depending on recoil, I can go higher or lower on boolit weight. Hopefully same or higher. Here are the powders I have to choose from:

Hodgdon Clays
IMR PB
AA#5
Red Dot
(I'm not buying more powder, and no, I do not have Unique, haven't seen it in years. I'm very lucky to have what I have.)

Red Dot and Clays has done well in my .45acp, with Red Dot being more forgiving on the top-end. I have not tried the others in low pressure pistol. I understand the .44spl operates at slightly lower pressures than the .45acp, but I'm thinking they should act similarly, maybe.

AA#5 is probably the only dedicated pistol powder in my list of powders, and I believe was specifically made for the .45acp (odd I haven't tried it yet, huh? My 1911 just really likes Red Dot, a lot). I'm thinking it will be a good power for sub 15,000cup loads along with the others.

I haven't noticed any one of the powders I've tried to be "dirty". I don't want burned/unburned powder interfering with the ejector, causing problems with setting the cylinder back in place.

This load would have to be able to function effectively in a "worst-case senerio" of extended shooting.

The cast bullets I have are probably hard-cast and alloyed for magnum loads, so I'm not expecting superb accuracy or a clean barrel. I'm just trying to see how a 240gr boolit will treat the shooter, whom is a tad recoil shy. I don't want to burn through more types of powder than I need to or purchase a boolit mold that is to heavy for my wife.

I'd love to hear about your experiences of what has worked well for you in your 44 Special revolver... not your 44 magnum. Thanks folks[smilie=s:

phonejack
06-27-2014, 11:49 AM
5.3 red dot will get you about 840'

Animal
06-27-2014, 08:46 PM
Wow, 5.3 red dot is the max for Lymans listing of their 225gr 452374. The fps is also in the same ballpark. Maybe the two calibers are more similar than I thought.

Loudenboomer
06-27-2014, 09:35 PM
I purchased a 3 inch Bulldog a few weeks ago. I spent an afternoon working up loads last week. I settled on the type of load I think your looking for. 8.4 gr AA#5 under a 200 gr RNFP Boolit worked best. Accuracy was par for a short barreled small frame and burn was clean. I think you'll like #5 in the 44 special also. Hornady's 4th addition starts @ 6.7 and goes to 7.9 gr. with the 240 gr. lead In the Bulldog. I did work up to large frame Smith loads from an older lyman manual with 2400. Also tried some AA#9 both with the 250 gr keith Boolit. A steady diet of these is Not recommended in the Bulldog. More than a hand full and not so kind on the gun. Dirty to boot. Sight regulation was another consideration for me. I usually find the opposite but in my Bulldog the heavier loads with heavier Boolits shot lower.

Larry Gibson
06-27-2014, 09:44 PM
+ another for Using Red Dot; excellent choice for your needs. 5 - 5.5 gr with the 240 commercial cast. If those bullets are lubed with the usual hard wax lube then a lubing additionally with LLA as per the instructions might prove beneficial.

Larry Gibson

Animal
06-27-2014, 09:45 PM
Loudenboomer, that is great information. I just took a look at my Lee manual. I would agree, it sounds like you are getting a real healthy combo with the AA#5. I think I'll be starting with the AA5. My 1911 will probably get upset if it finds out I'm sharing Red Dot with another caliber.

Animal
06-27-2014, 09:47 PM
+ another for Using Red Dot; excellent choice for your needs. 5 - 5.5 gr with the 240 commercial cast. If those bullets are lubed with the usual hard wax lube then a lubing additionally with LLA as per the instructions might prove beneficial.

Larry Gibson

Yes, same crappy lube. I will be tumbling the snot out of those little boogers with some LLA

Noah Mercy
06-27-2014, 10:01 PM
Just as an FYI: For powder puff target loads, I have yet to find anything superior to Clays. I've actually shot 44 Special loads with pure lead muzzleloader round balls (gallery loads) that went into one small ragged hole at 25 yards from my scoped, benched Super Redhawk. Recoil was lighter than from a 22 revolver...I could actually watch the bullets strike through my scope! 3.6 grains of Clays under a 240 semi wadcutter shot under an inch at 25 yards and left very little powder fouling, but velocity wasn't anything to write home about.

Duster340
06-28-2014, 12:22 AM
I can only speak for Red Dot of the 4 powders you have on hand. (Standard disclaimer about starting light and working up [smilie=s:) Loads ranging from 4.2 gr to 5.2 work well in my 2 1/2" Bulldog. In my case, 4.9 - 5.2 shoot Berrys 240 gr PFP nicely. Very clean, accurate and fairly mild. The Dog seems to like 4.9 to 5 gr charges behind the 214 gr Lee SWC (My go-to plinking loads). Just started loading 208 gr Lee WC with Red Dot, and early test loads of 4.5 and 4.9 gr show some promise. On-hand I have Unique which performs forms well, and I have had surprisingly good results with Blue Dot (quite accurate but evidence of unburned powder). That said, of the powders I have on-hand, Red Dot has become my powder of choice when feeding my Bulldog. Hope this helps you some Animal...

Animal
06-28-2014, 08:34 AM
Alright, it sounds like enough folks are getting good results with Red Dot and AA5 that I'll try both. For those of you who are using Red Dot, where are you finding data? Alliant doesn't list it, neither does Lyman 49th.

Duster340
06-28-2014, 12:53 PM
I found these articles helpful Animal. Also "surfed" loading sites to see what other folks worked up. Then started low and worked em up to levels the worked for me.

http://www.goodrichfamilyassoc.org/44_Special_Articles/Brian%20Pearce%20on%20the%2044%20Special.pdf

http://www.goodrichfamilyassoc.org/44_Special_Articles/

Animal
06-28-2014, 09:13 PM
Duster, great find! thanks

Animal
07-24-2014, 02:50 PM
Well folks, I've worked up a mighty fine load with Red Dot and the TL-430-240-SWC. I worked the load from 4.6-5.4gr. 5.0gr seemed to be the best performer. I really am falling in love with this powder.

I had also worked up a load with Hornaday 240 SWC and AA#5. I duplicated Hornadays specifications with materials and dimensions. I enjoyed that load pretty well, but it did provide some left over powder and muzzle flip.

It seems that Red Dot has a reputation for being "dirty", but in my experience the opposite is true.

Duster340
07-25-2014, 07:32 PM
Glad to hear it Animal. I got a couple new molds last week, one being a Lee 200 gr RFN. Cast a few hundred boolits a few days ago and plan to work up a few RD loads tonight. To muddy the water, I scored some 800X recently and will be working up test loads for the Bulldog and variety on bullets this weekend. Lookslike metering may be a challenge (Large flakes) but I have no problem using scoops....I'm in no hurry :coffee:

Be well

canyon-ghost
07-25-2014, 08:26 PM
<<<< That 44 Special shoots 200 grain roundnose Lees with Unique really accurate.

doc1876
07-26-2014, 12:12 PM
Duster, thanks, that is just what I have been looking for, as I just picked up my new .44sp.

bobthenailer
07-28-2014, 09:01 AM
I haven't used any of your 4 powders! but i can highly recomend Bullseye or Tightgroup powder , must of burnt over 50 lbs of the stuff over the years.

Of the 4 you have i would work with red dot first !