PDA

View Full Version : Casting Hollow points ?

boatswainsmate
06-27-2014, 01:11 AM
Hi,
I'm new to casting hollow points and was wondering if its ok to use mold release on the pins. Thanks in advance!

JeffinNZ
06-27-2014, 06:00 AM
You should have no need for any sort of release agent on the pins. Run the alloy HOT. Make sure the pins are smooth. Commence to pouring.

Beagle333
06-27-2014, 06:28 AM
Shine the pins up, pinch them between your fingers while holding them in some 800-1000 grit paper and spin slowly and make em smooth as glass. If they still stick, you can scribble on them, as if you were shading them dark, with a pencil. That will transfer some graphite to the pins and let the boolits drop easier and it also won't migrate to the cavities as any kind of oil or lube might do.

And I agree on the heat.... keep those pins hot! Cast fast and don't pause to admire or sort what you have dropped... keep that hot lead on those pins. That is the number one mistake of new HP casters..... it's hard not to stop and look at the shiny new HPs, even if it isn't perfect fillout, but that pause will only make your HP's get worse. There'll be plenty of time for sorting and looking after you are done.
Good luck!

dubber123
06-27-2014, 06:49 AM
One handy tip if it is an older style mold with a removable pin, is to drill a slightly larger than pin sized hole in a block of steel, aluminum, brass etc. and keep it on a running hot plate. When you take out the pin while casting, put it in the block. It will keep it much hotter than just laying it down between uses. You will get a lot less rejects.

knobster
06-27-2014, 07:03 AM
One handy tip if it is an older style mold with a removable pin, is to drill a slightly larger than pin sized hole in a block of steel, aluminum, brass etc. and keep it on a running hot plate. When you take out the pin while casting, put it in the block. It will keep it much hotter than just laying it down between uses. You will get a lot less rejects.

Excellent advice. I've been casting 180gr 45HPs for a couple months and still get a few dimpled bullets.

Fishman
06-27-2014, 07:51 AM

I must try this. Thank you for the tip!

HeavyMetal
06-27-2014, 10:03 AM
the Pin heater is the right way to go for single cavity HP casting, set your hot plate to just under medium and dip the sprue plate and then the corner of the mold in the alloy every 7 or 8 casts and your "loss" rate will be close to zero.

boatswainsmate
06-27-2014, 03:03 PM
There coming out nice but the penta pin likes to hold on to the pin.
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn271/ericlee1971/img_0164_zps9493e4f0.jpg (http://s306.photobucket.com/user/ericlee1971/media/img_0164_zps9493e4f0.jpg.html)

enreynolds
06-27-2014, 03:33 PM
From the looks of the picture, the penta-point looks like it could use a little polishing. That would be my guess.

Alferd Packer
06-27-2014, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the pin heater idea-Excellent!

Gunslinger1911
06-27-2014, 06:08 PM
Dremal with a polishing wheel and jewelers rouge has worked well for me on some not so smooth penta pins.
I have been known to put just a touch of Bullshop lube on pins with a q-tip (I know, sacrilege !! but it works)

Beagle333
06-27-2014, 06:24 PM
Ahhh, I missed where it said the Penta pins. Yes, those can come a little rough from the shop.
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/shutupandjump/cast%20boolits/Picture015_zps36d7ad56.jpg

I have never smoothed any of those up though. As gunslinger1911 says, I very lightly dampen a Q-tip with sprue plate lube (I use whatever that blue stuff is that Miha sends with the mold) and touch that to the face of the pentas. Reapply about every 15-20 pours and they jump right off those Penta pins just like the round ones.
I think it makes a nice wood grain pattern inside the HP. :D

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/shutupandjump/cast%20boolits/Picture019_zps61f8a684.jpg

harley45
06-30-2014, 01:33 AM
I use a bit of powdered graphite on my pins and that seems to work well with the Pentas.

dakotashooter2
07-01-2014, 01:24 PM
I screw a brass wire terminal to the top of my pot and us it as a "pin" holder. It maintains the same temp as the pot and I don't have to monkey with a hot plate. I also use the same to hold my thermometer.

grubbylabs
07-01-2014, 01:45 PM
I am going to have to try that polishing tip.

MT Chambers
07-01-2014, 07:56 PM
With most molds i use 2 or 3 molds at the same time and they cool better between casts but, with a HP mold I can only use 1 mold at a time or those pins cool off more then the rest of the mold.

Dale53
07-01-2014, 11:42 PM
When using the Mihec Cramer Style hollow point moulds, I have found it VERY advantageous to use mold release on the portion of the hollow point pin that creates the hollow point. It is probably best to use it the night before but I have often decided to cast some hollow points spontaneously and it seems to work just as well as if I had let them dry overnight.

NEI makes a mold release and I believe it is superfine graphite suspended in denatured alcohol. It dries almost immediately and will work perfectly through a whole pot of molten metal (20#+ in my case).

FWIW
Dale53

Poodleshooter
07-02-2014, 12:33 AM
I use the NOE RG HP molds. Hot pins, and a hot melt are the key for me. I leave the first few casts (and sprue) in the mold for a long time to dump all of their heat into the mold, then I dump them straight back into the pot. I may run 10 pours before I actually start checking for unwrinkled boolits. I candle smoke my HP points too, but only for the first few uses. Once it's broken in, I don't have to do anything but get it to temp, cast rapidly, and cool with a wet rag if I start getting frosty. Too much haste to get casting just means more culls.

boatswainsmate
07-02-2014, 04:18 PM
Thanks for all the info.