PDA

View Full Version : Sights for Ruger SBH

Junior1942
09-12-2005, 05:22 PM
Any ideas for better sights on my 1976 Ruger SBH? No scope, please. I can't see the front and rear sights well enough to shoot accurately at 50 yards.

Willbird
09-12-2005, 07:27 PM
Did you try sticking something on your glasses with a hole in it ?? several people have suggested things they did, including drilling a tiny hole in the magic spot on orange or other colored glasses. (could even blacken a ring around the hole with a sharpie)

fiddling with it may convince you that you need a merit device.

Cameras prove every day the concept works.

Bill

fecmech
09-12-2005, 08:35 PM
Junior--If you wear glasses here is something that worked for me. If you are "right eyed" and maybe have a spare set of glasses this is what I did. Took the pistol to the Optomitrist(sp?) and had him set up just enough +diopter in the right lense so the sights were just in focus(milder magnification than my reading bifocal). I left the other lense normal. This means that the target will be slightly out of focus but not so bad that it is a problem, no problem at all on a 50yd bullseye target. It feels a little funny when you first put the glasses on but after about 15 minutes your brain adapts and you don't even notice you have them on. I like it better than the Merit pin hole idea cause it's faster to pick up the sights and and you don't lose the brightness and the area around the target. Nick

Denver
09-12-2005, 10:08 PM
Junior;

Go to WallyWorld or one of the Dollar stores and get the lowest power reading glasses they have, 1 diopter or less. I have a pair with 3/4 diopter that I use. For me they give a sight picture that I haven't seen since I was a kid. The target is a little fuzzy with them, but it would normally be that way anyhow.

Ron

lar45
09-13-2005, 12:59 AM
I use testors model paint and paint my front sights. I put a coat of white down first and let it dry. Then I use some bright/hunter orange and put a coat over the white.

7br
09-13-2005, 07:06 AM
I use testors model paint and paint my front sights. I put a coat of white down first and let it dry. Then I use some bright/hunter orange and put a coat over the white.

Warning -- Warning -- Warning I have not tried this myself so take it for what it is worth. A couple of months ago, there was an article in the IHMSA News about painting sights. I didn't get the article read, but a friend said the upstart of it was that blue and yellow have about as much contrast as most people can see. The suggestion was to paint the rear sight blue and the front sight yellow. I would be concerned about the front sight washing out in bright light and causing high hits.

Bass Ackward
09-13-2005, 08:07 AM
Any ideas for better sights on my 1976 Ruger SBH? No scope, please. I can't see the front and rear sights well enough to shoot accurately at 50 yards.

Junior,

A lot of times you simply don't get enough light on the sides of the front sight that causes everything to appear blury. Your eyes tend to strain up close to control alignment and then the target blurs badly. You can see if this is the case by widening the rear notch on the sight you have first. If you ruin it, then you can purchase a Millet wide notch rear. Or you can try the peep sight that I bought a couple of months ago. $25 for two sizes. That is more of a hunting sight. Fast and accurate. But not real precision for paper at 50. Where I used to maybe be able to shoot 2- 2 1/2, I now shoot 3. But I can do it any time of day now. Depends on what you feel comfortable with.
If you want to know more, search this section for the key word "peep" for the link.

Junior1942
09-13-2005, 08:09 AM
Guys, I'm thinking fiber optic sights. Something like the 3-dot system made for semi-autos. This is for hunting.

Scrounger
09-13-2005, 08:29 AM
Junior,

A lot of times you simply don't get enough light on the sides of the front sight that causes everything to appear blury. Your eyes tend to strain up close to control alignment and then the target blurs badly. You can see if this is the case by widening the rear notch on the sight you have first. If you ruin it, then you can purchase a Millet wide notch rear. Or you can try the peep sight that I bought a couple of months ago. $25 for two sizes. That is more of a hunting sight. Fast and accurate. But not real precision for paper at 50. Where I used to maybe be able to shoot 2- 2 1/2, I now shoot 3. But I can do it any time of day now. Depends on what you feel comfortable with.
If you want to know more, search this section for the key word "peep" for the link.

I believe the sight he is referring to is called "One Ragged Hole" or something like that. I have one. Brownells sells them.

Junior1942
09-13-2005, 10:18 AM
I just ordered a set of One Ragged Hole sights for my SBH. They were $2 higher from Brownells, $27, than directly from www.oneraggedhole.com , $25.

Give me a few days and I'll post the shooting results.

slughammer
09-13-2005, 10:21 AM
Junior,

A lot of times you simply don't get enough light on the sides of the front sight that causes everything to appear blury. Your eyes tend to strain up close to control alignment and then the target blurs badly. You can see if this is the case by widening the rear notch on the sight you have first. If you ruin it, then you can purchase a Millet wide notch rear.

I think Bass has a good thought on the light idea. From what I've found most pistol sights are pretty standard at .125 wide front with a .135 wide notch. I did have one 1911 with a .125 wide front, but the rear notch was .115; great for target work in good lighting conditions, but not the easiest to use otherwise. After years of using it that way and finally I opened it up to .135 to allow more light visible on either side. I lost some of the built in precision, but it is much more user friendly. The Ruger rear sight is pretty simple, you should be able to remove the blade and fabricate one from sheet metal. Try making one with a .135 notch and go up from there. Also make the notch as deep as the sight assy with allow.

For a front sight, I have 2 1911's with fiber optic and 2 S&W revolvers with gold dots. 3 of those sights I drilled myself, the gold dots are actually pieces of 3/32 Brazing rod. A tight hole and some Blue loc-tite have been holding for years.

Have you read Ed Mcgivern "Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting". He has a section in there where he talks about sights and eyesight and how they relate. Well worth a read.

Junior1942
09-28-2005, 03:12 PM
I installed a www.oneraggedhole.com peep on the rear, and I made a fiber optic addition for the front. I built it up with J & B Weld and epoxied on a 1/4" section of a .060" x 6" fiber optic rod from Brownells. So far, 25 rounds or so, it's working like a dream. I'll soon write an article about it, but I wanted to give you guys an early look at it.

http://www.castbullet.com/makeit/photos/44jb07.jpg

MT Gianni
09-28-2005, 07:50 PM
I have a srh with its easily replaceable front sight insert and I shoot better with the standard blue than with orange. Gianni.

Junior1942
09-30-2005, 07:39 AM
Guys, I finished the article about the new SBH sights.

See http://www.castbullet.com/makeit/44jb.htm

Bass Ackward
09-30-2005, 08:21 AM
Guys, I finished the article about the new SBH sights.

See http://www.castbullet.com/makeit/44jb.htm

Junior,

Will you stop please. Now I have another #@&+ project.

Obviously you can see that the article was effective. :evil: