PDA

View Full Version : Texas Instruments TI-83 Plus

Minerat
06-26-2014, 08:20 PM
If this is in the wrong place I apologize. Please move it as needed. I have put it in the Team boolits S/S but if I do not get any takers by Saturday at 6:00PM then I'll move it to the S/S for all members.

I have a lightly used TI-83Plus scientific calculator with the operating manual & cover. It is a very fancy graphing calculator that a friend gave me. I have no use for it (I'm a HP fan).

It would probably be a good calculator for a Sophomore aged scholar who is starting in higher math. Some of the high schools in Colorado suggest having this type for their algebra, geometry and calculus classes. I would prefer this go to a high school student as many of them can not afford this fancy a calculator and it is going to waste sitting in my office.

So here's the deal. If you know or have a student (grandkids count) that is just starting high school (hopefully interested in math or engineering) that would benefit from having this type of calculator I will GIVE it to them and I'll pay the shipping. The first "I'll take it" with the students name gets it & send a PM with young persons name and address so I can get it in the mail next week.

NewbieDave007
06-27-2014, 02:31 AM
This is very nice of you. I'm an engineer and have/use a TI-89 when doing hand calcs. A TI-83 or TI-84 was the most advanced calculator generally allowed through calculus classes.

On a side note: HP? Please don't tell me you operate it in reverse polish.

Fishman
06-27-2014, 07:44 AM
How very nice of you. I remember having to buy my daughter one of those several years back and it wasn't cheap. Of course it was a good investment. She is currently living in CO and just finished up teaching a year of 4th grade. :)

Wayne Smith
06-27-2014, 07:52 AM
Great offer. Is that the one that connects to others with a cable? My son had one of those in Jr. High and the kids programmed games and played each other in class. The teachers didn't mind as long as they did their work. Advanced Math/Science Jr. High. The teachers thought it was great that the kids took the initiative to learn programming on their calculators.

Petrol & Powder
06-27-2014, 09:25 AM
Wow, I haven't heard the term "reverse Polish" since my father purchased an HP calculator in the 70's. That thing had a red LED display and was so expensive that it required a family discussion prior to the purchase. I think we had to make some financial sacrifices to offset the cost of that calculator. Now something with the same computing power would probably cost less than lunch at McDonalds. We've come a long way.
As for the reverse Polish part, if I recall correctly, you had to enter the numbers and then tell it what function you wanted to apply.

alamogunr
06-27-2014, 09:33 AM
On a side note: HP? Please don't tell me you operate it in reverse polish.

Do you mean that HP has calculators that don't operate in RPN??:kidding:

I have 3(one of which is almost 30 years old) and I can't operate a regular calculator. I can't use some of the features on the HP's either.

Minerat
06-27-2014, 10:01 AM
1 enter 1+, I can't operate a calculator efficiently any more that doesn't have RPN. That is partly why this one is going so some one that can use it. My go to is an HP41 (1980) if it ever craps out I'm going to cry. But this one is far more powerful then the 41.

This one has wireless linking between the 83+'s and cable of other TI83 units.

moderator, Thanks for moving this to the appropriate forum. S.

NewbieDave007
06-27-2014, 10:16 AM
I completely understand. I tried switching to RPN a few years ago, but couldn't get the hang of it.

Either way this is a great gift for someone that is going towards a math focused life, or is at least very interested in mathematics.

Petrol & Powder
06-27-2014, 02:20 PM
I think my dad's was an HP-35. That thing came with a hard case, a power supply and a manual the size of a dictionary. Those things have come a long way.

Minerat
06-27-2014, 08:05 PM
I think my dad's was an HP-35. That thing came with a hard case, a power supply and a manual the size of a dictionary. Those things have come a long way.

First HP I ever saw in college was a HP35. It actually did sine and cosine to 8 places without having to extrapolate. My slide rule was good for 2 places at best. :razz:

I knew TI's were bad but I never thought I couldn't give it away .:kidding:

AlaskanGuy
06-27-2014, 11:41 PM
My son would love to have it..... PM sent....

Minerat
06-27-2014, 11:54 PM
My son would love to have it..... PM sent....

AlaskanGuy,

It's his. PM Reply sent.

Sorry to anyone who missed out on this. It's headed to the Land of the Mid-Night Sun.

Thanks for the interest.

NewbieDave007
06-28-2014, 12:29 AM
Sounds like great things will be coming out of Alaska now...:kidding:

dtknowles
06-28-2014, 12:59 AM
I have not dug out a calculator in years. Did my taxes using my cell phone. Do my expense reports and other simple math using the windows calculator on this computer. If I need more complicated math I use Excel and the same if I need to do graphs. We actually design rocket motors and display test data graphs using Excel. My load data and chronograph data is in Excel spreadsheets same for the alloy calculator. The handheld calculator is a nice toy but is a dinosaur.

Tim

NewbieDave007
06-28-2014, 01:13 AM
I have not dug out a calculator in years. Did my taxes using my cell phone. Do my expense reports and other simple math using the windows calculator on this computer. If I need more complicated math I use Excel and the same if I need to do graphs. We actually design rocket motors and display test data graphs using Excel. My load data and chronograph data is in Excel spreadsheets same for the alloy calculator. The handheld calculator is a nice toy but is a dinosaur.

Tim

I constantly utilize all the tools that I have and that largely includes extensive use of Excel. Since Excel utilizes formulas and we are only human, I use my "dinosaur" to back check my (and others) Excel calculations/formulas.

Dave

dtknowles
06-28-2014, 01:17 AM
I constantly utilize all the tools that I have and that largely includes extensive use of Excel. Since Excel utilizes formulas and we are only human, I use my "dinosaur" to back check my (and others) Excel calculations/formulas.

Dave

You sound like a belt and suspenders kind of guy.

Tim

NewbieDave007
06-28-2014, 01:24 AM
In engineering we always check our work and have others do the same. When I sign and seal a set of plans with my Professional Engineers licence I want to know that it is as 100% correct as possible.

When you drive on a road I design, or DON'T get flooded out because of one of my drainage designs, then you can thank an engineer that he/she is a "suspenders and belt type person". There are too many lives on the line to be foolish and over cocky.

Dave

NewbieDave007
06-28-2014, 01:32 AM
^^^I just re-read my post and don't/didn't mean it in the confrontational way that it could've come across.

Fishman
06-28-2014, 06:55 AM
^^^I just re-read my post and don't/didn't mean it in the confrontational way that it could've come across.

Lol! Two Posts to make sure you got your point across = belt and suspenders kinda guy. Still laughing . . .

Wayne Smith
06-28-2014, 07:40 AM
Our son once worked for the state reviewing engineering designs. Around here all sewage is pumped in a force main, there is no slope! He had an engineering design for an apartment complex (Senior) that had the pump installed backwards! I'm sure some plumber on the job would have caught it, but still... The state, in it's wisdom, ended the position.

Petrol & Powder
06-28-2014, 08:49 AM
I WANT engineers to be belt & suspenders kind of people. That's a compliment in my family. When doctors make mistakes they bury the mistakes one at a time, when engineers make mistakes they bury them by the 100's.

dtknowles
06-28-2014, 10:07 AM

Dave

I did not find your post confrontational and I did not intend my belt and suspenders comment as insulting, it was just an observation.

I don't know whether I am an Engineer or a Scientist. I do not have a License but I do have a degree in Aeronautical Engineering. I have designed Cryogenic Liquid systems and High Pressure Compressed Gas systems for Launch Vehicles and In Space Propulsion but I have also done basic research in Cryogenic Propellant Storage and Transfer and Built LOX/HTPB Hybrid Rocket Motors to Test Nozzle and TVC system Materials. Right now the work I am doing is more of a Manufacturing Engineer role, I am establishing the manufacturing plan for the 3rd Stage of a new Launch Vehicle. I understand the need to avoid errors in calculations our margins are way smaller than those in Civil Engineering. My analysis is often reviewed by half a dozen other professionals.

Tim

Minerat
06-28-2014, 03:39 PM
You sound like a belt and suspenders kind of guy.

Tim

Me Too, Better then plumbers crack.

NewbieDave007
06-28-2014, 03:42 PM
Me Too, Better then plumbers crack.

^^^I don't care who you are that's funny right there.

Cag40Navy
06-29-2014, 01:41 AM
Dave

I did not find your post confrontational and I did not intend my belt and suspenders comment as insulting, it was just an observation.

I don't know whether I am an Engineer or a Scientist. I do not have a License but I do have a degree in Aeronautical Engineering. I have designed Cryogenic Liquid systems and High Pressure Compressed Gas systems for Launch Vehicles and In Space Propulsion but I have also done basic research in Cryogenic Propellant Storage and Transfer and Built LOX/HTPB Hybrid Rocket Motors to Test Nozzle and TVC system Materials. Right now the work I am doing is more of a Manufacturing Engineer role, I am establishing the manufacturing plan for the 3rd Stage of a new Launch Vehicle. I understand the need to avoid errors in calculations our margins are way smaller than those in Civil Engineering. My analysis is often reviewed by half a dozen other professionals.

Tim

Where did you get your degree in Aeronautical Engineering?

obssd1958
06-30-2014, 09:08 AM

Tim

Please bear with me, and realize that I just can't help myself, but...

In this case, ^^^^^^^ I think it really is rocket science!!

Wayne Smith
06-30-2014, 09:51 AM
Tim, my son's MS is Aeronautical engineering and he is working as a modelling engineer (workforce) for the Newport News Shipyard.

.45Cole
07-21-2014, 12:23 AM
Minerat, what engineering discipline? Did you go to mines? I got through most of college with a ti-34II plus. It really helps to keep up with the algebra and calc when you don't have the "solve" algorithm. Although interpolating and solving by iteration was a bear (unless I had Excel or matlab!)