PDA

View Full Version : AR multiple uppers

NavyVet1959
06-26-2014, 02:54 AM
I'm currently building two AR pistols -- 5.56x45 and .300 AAC. I already have one 5.56x45 that started life as a pistol, but is currently in a rifle configuration. The question I have is for those who have multiple uppers that share a single lower. Do you put a BCG (bolt carrier group) with each upper or do you swap it when you swap uppers on your lower?

Boolseye
06-26-2014, 08:05 AM
+1. I have a 300 BLK upper in addition to a .223, and I only switch the bolt. Was suggested to me on this forum.

bruce drake
06-26-2014, 08:40 AM
Well, I'm one of those that builds them as a complete upper including the BCG for easy of swapping amongst the lowers I have. 2 pins and a new functional upper is on my favorite lower. Currently, I have 4 uppers and 3 lowers and in the process of building my 5th upper. My goal is to have 2 uppers for each lower but every so often another lower "appears" in the gunsafe...

Moonie
06-26-2014, 08:58 AM
I have 2 uppers, 1 lower, I share the BCG between them but since one is 6.8SPC and one is 300BO they do not share the bolt itself. I do have a nice titanium nitride coated BC.

NavyVet1959
06-26-2014, 01:46 PM
Well, I'm one of those that builds them as a complete upper including the BCG for easy of swapping amongst the lowers I have. 2 pins and a new functional upper is on my favorite lower. Currently, I have 4 uppers and 3 lowers and in the process of building my 5th upper. My goal is to have 2 uppers for each lower but every so often another lower "appears" in the gunsafe...

I have a couple of spare stripped lowers that I haven't really decided what I'm going to do with yet. The are non-anodized (i.e. bare aluminum), so I'm tempted to polish them and make an "evil silver rifle" instead of the traditional "evil black rifle". :) OK, *technically*, they would be "evil silver handguns" since I always start off the build as a handgun so that I can later change it to a rifle and back if so desired and the ATF won't get their collective panties in a twist.

Was measuring what my current .300 AAC AR pistol build would likely end up as last night and it looks like it could end up very slightly less than 26", depending upon the length of the buffer tube that I ultimately end up getting. With an A2 buffer tube (the only spare one that I had on hand), it's well over 26".

ipijohn
06-26-2014, 10:01 PM
I have one lower with a 5.56 18" upper and a 300BLK 18"upper, Both uppers have dedicated BCG's. I shoot Jwords and PC"d lead in both of them with great success.

500MAG
06-28-2014, 03:16 PM
Last time I posted something about an AR in the Military rifle section, the old timers jumped all over me. I'm just sayin.

NavyVet1959
06-29-2014, 07:10 AM
Last time I posted something about an AR in the Military rifle section, the old timers jumped all over me. I'm just sayin.

Well, I *did* look over the forum list, but I didn't see anything more appropriate. If it is in the wrong forum, perhaps one of the admins will move it to the correct group?

500MAG
06-29-2014, 08:54 AM
Well, I *did* look over the forum list, but I didn't see anything more appropriate. If it is in the wrong forum, perhaps one of the admins will move it to the correct group?
Those guys must be gone now but man did they attack me. I think I was also asking an upper question.

dragon813gt
06-29-2014, 09:18 AM
There isn't a better option here. AR discussions belong in this forum. I would have a BCG for each upper.

Artful
06-29-2014, 10:01 AM
It's best to mate a bolt to each barrel - your best choice of those given in your poll is a BCG for each upper.
That said you could just buy a bolt for each upper and swap bolts in the carrier group that is shared.

OK, *technically*, they would be "evil silver handguns" since I always start off the build as a handgun so that I can later change it to a rifle and back if so desired and the ATF won't get their collective panties in a twist.

You do know that changing a pistol is a rifle is legal - but changing it back is "technically" illegal unless the receiver is registered as a short barreled rifle.
http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=239

NavyVet1959
06-29-2014, 11:19 AM
It's best to mate a bolt to each barrel - your best choice of those given in your poll is a BCG for each upper.
That said you could just buy a bolt for each upper and swap bolts in the carrier group that is shared.

You do know that changing a pistol is a rifle is legal - but changing it back is "technically" illegal unless the receiver is registered as a short barreled rifle.
http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=239

I don't read it that way from the link you provided. Plus, your statement contradicts what I've read elsewhere. From your link:

U.S. Department of Justice
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
Office of the Director
Washington, DC 20226
26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3): DEFINITIONS (FIREARM ) 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(4): DEFINITIONS (FIREARM) 26 U.S.C. 5845(c): DEFINITIONS (RIFLE) 27 CFR 479.11: DEFINITIONS (RIFLE)
27 CFR 479.11: DEFINITIONS (PISTOL)
A firearm, as defined by the National Firearms Act (NFA), 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3), is made when unassembled parts are placed in close proximity in such a way that they: (a) serve no useful purpose other than to make a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length; or (b) convert a complete weapon into such an NFA firearm. A firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3) and (a)(4), is not made when parts within a kit that were originally designed to be configured as both a pistol and a rifle are assembled or re-assembled in a configuration not regulated under the NFA (e.g., as a pistol, or a rifle with a barrel or barrels of 16 inches or more in length). A firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3) and (a)(4), is not made when a pistol is attached to a part or parts designed to convert the pistol into a rifle with a barrel or barrels of 16 inches or more in length, and the parts are later unassembled in a configuration not regulated under the NFA (e.g., as a pistol). A firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(4), is made when a handgun or other weapon with an overall length of less than 26 inches, or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length, is assembled or produced from a weapon originally assembled or produced only as a rifle.
ATF Rul. 2011-4
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) has received requests from individuals to classify pistols that are reconfigured into rifles, for personal use, through the addition of barrels, stocks, and other parts and then returned to a pistol configurationbyremovalofthosecomponents. Specifically,ATFhasbeenaskedto determine whether such a pistol, once returned to a pistol configuration from a rifle, becomes a „weapon made from a rifle‰ as defined under the National Firearms Act (NFA).
Some manufacturers produce firearm receivers and attachable component parts that are designed to be assembled into both rifles and pistols. The same receiver can accept an interchangeable shoulder stock or pistol grip, and a long (16 or more inches in length) or short (less than 16 inches) barrel. These components are sold individually, or as unassembled kits. Generally, the kits include a receiver, a pistol grip, a pistol barrel less than 16 inches in length, a shoulder stock, and a rifle barrel 16 inches or more in length.
-2-
Certain parts or parts sets are also designed to allow an individual to convert a pistol into a rifle without removing a barrel or attaching a shoulder stock to the pistol. These parts consist of an outer shell with a shoulder stock into which the pistol may be inserted. When inserted, the pistol fires a projectile through a rifled extension barrel that is 16 inches or more in length, and with an overall length of 26 inches or more. Other parts sets require that certain parts of the pistol, such as the pistol barrel and the slide assembly, be removed from the pistol frame prior to attaching the parts sets. Typically, a separate barrel is sold with the parts set, which is 16 inches or greater in length. The barrel is installed along with an accompanying shoulder stock. The resulting firearm has a barrel of 16 inches or more in length, and an overall length of 26 inches or more.
The NFA, Title 26, United States Code (U.S.C.), Chapter 53, requires that persons manufacturing, importing, transferring, or possessing firearms as defined in the NFA comply with the Act‚s licensing, registration, and taxation requirements. The NFA defines the term „firearm‰ at 26 U.S.C. 5845(a) to include „(3) a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length;‰ („short-barreled rifle‰) and „(4) a weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length‰ („weapon made from a rifle‰). The term „rifle‰ is defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(c) and 27 CFR 479.11 as „a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire a fixed cartridge.‰ Although not defined in the NFA, the term „pistol‰ is defined by the Act‚s implementing regulations, 27 CFR 479.11, as „a weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand, and having (a) a chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently aligned with, the bore(s); and (b) a short stock designed to be gripped by one hand and at an angle to and extending below the line of the bore(s)‰ (emphasis added).
Unassembled Parts Kits
In United States v. Thompson/Center Arms Company, 504 U.S. 505 (1992), the United States Supreme Court examined whether a short-barreled rifle was „made‰ under the NFA when a carbine-conversion kit consisting of a single-shot „Contender‰ pistol was designed so that its handle and barrel could be removed from its receiver, and was packaged with a 21-inch barrel, a rifle stock, and a wooden fore-end. The Court held that, where aggregated parts could convert a pistol into either a regulated short-barreled rifle, or an unregulated rifle with a barrel of 16 inches or more in length, the NFA was ambiguous and applied the „rule of lenity‰ (i.e., ambiguities in criminal statutes should be resolved in favor of the defendant) so that the pistol and carbine kit, when packaged together, were not considered a „short-barreled rifle‰ for purposes of the NFA.
However, the Court also explained that an NFA firearm is made if aggregated parts are in close proximity such that they: (a) serve no useful purpose other than to make an NFA firearm (e.g., a receiver, an attachable shoulder stock, and a short barrel); or (b) convert a
-3- complete weapon into an NFA firearm (e.g., a pistol and attachable shoulder stock, or a
long-barreled rifle and attachable short barrel). Id. at 511-13. Assembly of Weapons from Parts Kits
The Thompson/Center Court viewed the parts within the conversion kit not only as a Contender pistol, but also as an unassembled „rifle‰ as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(c). The inclusion of the rifle stock in the package brought the Contender pistol and carbine kit within the "intended to be fired from the shoulder" language in the definition of rifle at 26 U.S.C. 5845(c). Id. at 513 n.6. Thompson/Center did not address the subsequent assembly of the parts. United States v. Ardoin, 19 F.3d 177, 181 (5th Cir. 1994). Based on the definition of „firearm‰ in 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3), if parts are assembled into a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length, a regulated short-barreled rifle has been made. See, e.g., United States v. Owens, 103 F.3d 953 (11th Cir. 1997); United States v. One (1) Colt Ar-15, 394 F. Supp. 2d 1064 (W.D.Tenn. 2004). Conversely, if the parts are assembled into a rifle having a barrel or barrels 16 inches in length or more, a rifle not subject to the NFA has been made.
Therefore, so long as a parts kit or collection of parts is not used to make a firearm regulated under the NFA (e.g., a short-barreled rifle or „any other weapon‰ as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(e)), no NFA firearm is made when the same parts are assembled or re- assembled in a configuration not regulated under the NFA (e.g., a pistol, or a rifle with a barrel of 16 inches or more in length). Merely assembling and disassembling such a rifle does not result in the making of a new weapon; rather, it is the same rifle in a knockdown condition (i.e., complete as to all component parts). Likewise, because it is the same weapon when reconfigured as a pistol, no „weapon made from a rifle‰ subject to the NFA has been made.
Nonetheless, if a handgun or other weapon with an overall length of less than 26 inches, or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length is assembled or otherwise produced from a weapon originally assembled or produced only as a rifle, such a weapon is a „weapon made from a rifle‰ as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(4). Such a weapon would not be a „pistol‰ because the weapon was not originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile by one hand.
Held, a firearm, as defined by the National Firearms Act (NFA), 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3), is made when unassembled parts are placed in close proximity in such a way that they:
(a) Serve no useful purpose other than to make a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length (e.g., a receiver, an attachable shoulder stock, and barrel of less than 16 inches in length); or
(b) Convert a complete weapon into such an NFA firearm, including ˆ (1) A pistol and attachable shoulder stock; and
-4-
(2) A rifle with a barrel of 16 inches or more in length, and an attachable barrel of less than 16 inches in length.
Such weapons must be registered and are subject to all requirements of the NFA.
Held further, a firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3) and (a)(4), is not made when parts in a kit that were originally designed to be configured as both a pistol and a rifle are assembled or re-assembled in a configuration not regulated under the NFA (e.g., as a pistol, or a rifle with a barrel of 16 inches or more in length).
Held further, a firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3) and (a)(4), is not made when a pistol is attached to a part or parts designed to convert the pistol into a rifle with a barrel of 16 inches or more in length, and the parts are later unassembled in a configuration not regulated under the NFA (e.g., as a pistol).
Held further, a firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(4), is made when a handgun or other weapon with an overall length of less than 26 inches, or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length, is assembled or produced from a weapon originally assembled or produced only as a rifle. Such weapons must be registered and are subject to all requirements of the NFA.
To the extent this ruling may be inconsistent with any prior letter rulings, they are hereby superseded.
Date approved: July 25, 2011
Kenneth E. Melson Acting Director

Artful
06-29-2014, 11:38 AM
Interesting it appears that as of 2011 the ATFE has changed it's stance from what it once was. That's what I get for just posting a link I had book marked without re-reading it. My apologies.

NavyVet1959
06-29-2014, 11:56 AM
Interesting it appears that as of 2011 the ATFE has changed it's stance from what it once was. That's what I get for just posting a link I had book marked without re-reading it. My apologies.

No problem... I'm just glad that you provided that link so that I had somewhere that I could document what I remember having read, but not where I read it. :)

It also gave me enough info to be able to find the actual ruling on the ATF's website:

https://www.atf.gov/files/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2011-4.pdf

It is also my understanding that even though a firearm has a barrel 16+ inches in length, it is not a "rifle" unless it has a buttstock. As such, I would encourage everyone when building their AR to not put the buttstock on the firearm to start with and go fire a few rounds with just the buffer tube on it so that they can honestly say that it started life as a handgun and thus give them more flexibility later in reconfiguring it as their tastes change.

This "handgun" vs "rifle" vs "SBR" on the AR just does not make much sense. It's possible to have a legal rifle that is shorter than legal handgun. I haven't done the measurements, but I'm inclined to believe that you could also create an SBR that was longer than a legal rifle. For example, let's say that you create an SBR with a 15" barrel and an A2 buffer vs a legal rifle with a 16" barrel and a carbine length buffer.

500MAG
06-29-2014, 02:22 PM
There isn't a better option here. AR discussions belong in this forum. I would have a BCG for each upper.
what military uses AR15's?

William Yanda
06-29-2014, 02:44 PM
Didn't the U S Army decision to adopt the Colt design as the M-16 make the AR a military rifle?

500MAG
06-29-2014, 02:51 PM
Didn't the U S Army decision to adopt the Colt design as the M-16 make the AR a military rifle?
As a gun enthusiast, we should stay away from calling the AR15 a military rifle. We don't want to give the libtards more ammunition. Pardon the pun. This us what the nssf said:
Modern Sporting Rifle Facts:

The modern sporting rifle, based on the AR-15 platform, is widely misunderstood. Why? Confusion exists because while these rifles may cosmetically look like military rifles, they do not function the same way. Also, groups wanting to ban these rifles have for years purposely or through ignorance spread misinformation about them to aid their cause.

The National Shooting Sports Foundation asks you to be an informed gun owner and to use the following facts to correct misconceptions about these rifles. Remember, that if AR-15-style modern sporting rifles are banned, your favorite traditional-looking hunting or target shooting semi-automatic firearm could be banned, too.

AR-15-platform rifles are among the most popular firearms being sold. They are today's modern sporting rifle.

The AR in "AR-15" rifle stands for ArmaLite rifle, after the company that developed it in the 1950s. "AR" does NOT stand for "assault rifle" or "automatic rifle."

AR-15-style rifles are NOT "assault weapons" or "assault rifles." An assault rifle is fully automatic -- a machine gun. Automatic firearms have been severely restricted from civilian ownership since 1934.

If someone calls an AR-15-style rifle an "assault weapon," he or she either supports banning these firearms or does not understand their function and sporting use, or both. Please correct them. "Assault weapon" is a political term created by California anti-gun legislators to ban some semi-automatic rifles there in the 1980s.

AR-15-style rifles look like military rifles, such as the M-16, but function like other semi-automatic civilian sporting firearms, firing only one round with each pull of the trigger.

Versions of modern sporting rifles are legal to own in all 50 states, provided the purchaser passes the mandatory FBI background check required for all retail firearm purchasers.

Since the 19th century, civilian sporting rifles have evolved from their military predecessors. The modern sporting rifle simply follows that tradition.

These rifles' accuracy, reliability, ruggedness and versatility serve target shooters and hunters well. They are true all-weather firearms.

Chamberings include .22, .223 (5.56 x 45mm), 6.8 SPC, .308, .450 Bushmaster and about a dozen others. Upper receivers for pistol calibers such as 9 mm, .40, and .45 are available. There are even .410 shotgun versions.

These rifles are used for many different types of hunting, from varmint to big game. And they're used for target shooting in the national matches.

AR-15-style rifles are no more powerful than other hunting rifles of the same caliber and in most cases are chambered in calibers less powerful than common big-game hunting cartridges like the 30-06 Springfield and .300 Win. Mag.

The AR-15 platform is modular. Owners like being able to affix different "uppers" (the barrel and chamber) to the "lower" (the grip, stock).

And, they are a lot of fun to shoot!:hijack::kidding:

Artful
06-30-2014, 09:18 AM
So your argument carried to it's conconclusion means - no M1A's as they are not M14's - etc. Come let us be reasonable. :bigsmyl2:

dkf
06-30-2014, 09:27 AM
Each upper has their own BCG I don't play switcharoo with parts, especially a BCG. Lonely uppers always seem to have a way of finding their own lower sooner or later.

Chamberings include .22, .223 (5.56 x 45mm), 6.8 SPC, .308, .450 Bushmaster and about a dozen others. Upper receivers for pistol calibers such as 9 mm, .40, and .45 are available. There are even .410 shotgun versions.

Yes sir and a lot of rounds you did not mention. The AR 15 is a more viable platform for hunting, defnse, target shooting and etc than ever before. If the gooberment stays out of it, it will keep growing.

Ehaver
07-01-2014, 10:14 PM
The bolt is the important bit. That should be the same for head space. But if you are getting the Bolt, you may as well get the carrier. PSA usualy has deals on them, along with other retailers.

xacex
07-09-2014, 02:51 AM
They changes the rules after the U.S. Vs. Thompson/Center arms ruling that came out of the Supreme Court. As long as you first have a pistol, and during the transition back and forth you do not construct a SBR you are OK.

NavyVet1959
07-09-2014, 09:44 AM
They changes the rules after the U.S. Vs. Thompson/Center arms ruling that came out of the Supreme Court. As long as you first have a pistol, and during the transition back and forth you do not construct a SBR you are OK.

My first AR pistol was actually longer than when I converted it to a rifle, even though they both had the same length barrel. That was due to using an A2 buffer on the pistol vs a collapsing stock on the rifle. Really stupid (unconstitutional) rules.

xacex
07-09-2014, 04:20 PM
My first AR pistol was actually longer than when I converted it to a rifle, even though they both had the same length barrel. That was due to using an A2 buffer on the pistol vs a collapsing stock on the rifle. Really stupid (unconstitutional) rules.
I think the NFA is unconstitutional as well, and because of that I encourage everyone to express their right to own and use a slide fire stock, or a sig brace (or both) as a slap in the face to the NFA. The more products we have like this in the hands of citizens the more the NFA becomes a joke that will be seen as such. The slide fire stock on a rifle with a bipod becomes very effective if used in the prone position pushed on the back, top portion of the upper receiver, and once you use a sig brace on a pistol you will wonder why you even need to do an SBR.

dkf
07-09-2014, 09:32 PM
Xacex what you mentioned about the NFA is the reason why I plan to get a sig brace and build a pistol in the future even though I think it is fugly and overpriced. I feel the same way about the NFA. The history of how the SBR and SBS regs came about is rather interesting and says alot about the fudds in government.

xacex
07-10-2014, 12:59 PM
Xacex what you mentioned about the NFA is the reason why I plan to get a sig brace and build a pistol in the future even though I think it is fugly and overpriced. I feel the same way about the NFA. The history of how the SBR and SBS regs came about is rather interesting and says alot about the fudds in government.
They were on sale at Rockwellarms.com over the weekend. With a coupon code they were under 100$ shipped. Palmetto has a good price on them as well. 109$ is not bad.http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/sig-sauer-sb15-pistol-stabilizing-brace-psb-ar-blk.html Don't pay the 150$ + vendors want. You can pick them up for under 110$ if you look around. Ebay is a good source believe it or not. Picked one up from there for 109$ shipped. The look will grow on you once you try it.

dkf
07-11-2014, 12:19 PM
I see SIG is running a promotion on the braces now for $125 free shipping and a free rifle bag. I would buy one but I just ordered a complete upper and a lower last week. The deals seem to always come when I am not ready to fork over the cash.

http://sigsauer.com/Promotions/CurrentPromotions.aspx

NavyVet1959
07-11-2014, 12:43 PM
I see SIG is running a promotion on the braces now for $125 free shipping and a free rifle bag. I would buy one but I just ordered a complete upper and a lower last week. The deals seem to always come when I am not ready to fork over the cash.

http://sigsauer.com/Promotions/CurrentPromotions.aspx

Technically, wouldn't that be a "handgun bag" since it's for an AR *handgun*? :)

xacex
07-11-2014, 12:55 PM
Technically, wouldn't that be a "handgun bag" since it's for an AR *handgun*? :)

Ahh, too big for an AR pistol. Tennis racket bags are the ticket for those. Picked up a nice double one at goodwill last month. Now I take the 9mm, and 300 blackout in the same bag to the range.What can I say, I'm cheap...

NavyVet1959
07-11-2014, 01:14 PM
Ahh, too big for an AR pistol. Tennis racket bags are the ticket for those. Picked up a nice double one at goodwill last month. Now I take the 9mm, and 300 blackout in the same bag to the range.What can I say, I'm cheap...

Without a flash guard / thread protector on, my .300 AAC pistol with a 10.5" barrel is 25 1/2" long. With the thread protector, it's 25 7/8".

Haven't decided on sights for it yet though. I'm not inclined to spend $400-700 on an AimPoint when a $50 TruGlo would probably just as well serve my particular needs. I still can't decide whether to stay with iron sights or go with optics. I've never tried any of the red dot scopes though, so I don't know if I would like them.

dragon813gt
07-11-2014, 01:48 PM
There is a reason that higher end holographic sights cost what they do. I have a few of the cheap ones. The dots are more like an octopus then a dot. They're fine for close range blasting. But for any type of long range or precision shooting they suck. A 300 blackout upper is looking really tempting at the moment but it would be for no other reason than to have it. It would be a 16" upper which defeats the purpose of the round. But I don't want to wait a year to be able to shoot it.

woody13
07-11-2014, 02:49 PM
Keep each upper with its own BCG so there is less problems. The BCG will cycle and mate to the barrel as it should and changing them can lead to trouble.

dkf
07-11-2014, 08:06 PM
Without a flash guard / thread protector on, my .300 AAC pistol with a 10.5" barrel is 25 1/2" long. With the thread protector, it's 25 7/8".

Haven't decided on sights for it yet though. I'm not inclined to spend $400-700 on an AimPoint when a $50 TruGlo would probably just as well serve my particular needs. I still can't decide whether to stay with iron sights or go with optics. I've never tried any of the red dot scopes though, so I don't know if I would like them.

I have an Aimpoint PRO on a Larue mount and both are top notch quality. The Vortex Sparc and Sparc II are good red dots at less than half of what a PRO costs (and smaller too) The Primary Arms red dots are also an option for even less money and better than a Truglo. For an AR pistol it is best to go with one of the small micro redot scopes IMO to try and cut down on the size/weight.

xacex
07-12-2014, 05:20 PM
I use a Vortex Diamondback 1.75-5x32 on my 8.5" blackout pistol. Like this one... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EC7KLU/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and the mount from Nikon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B5F02ZW/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is a solid combo that is not to much bank. The scope has a lifetime guarantee, and between my Nikon's, and Vortex I like the Vortex better. I have some of the cheaper red dot/ reflex sights up to about 200$, and they just do not compare to the Eotech's or Acogs I have tried. They just cost to much for me. I get the accuracy, at a weight disadvantage, but I also save over 300$ with the combo at a minimum.

It makes for a nice black timber gun for hunting. Nice and light with quick acquisition of targets at the low power level. In dusk or dawn scenarios the reticle reflects gold against black even without being illuminated, and is brighter than just a holo sight because it gathers light.

I have heard good things about the primary arms red dots. If you are set on going that route I would give one of those a try, or at least consider one before plunking the change down on the most expensive options.

yellowfin
07-16-2014, 12:55 PM
This thread has me thinking I need more uppers. Of course I ALWAYS need more uppers, and magazines, and ammo...

NavyVet1959
08-13-2014, 02:39 AM
Well, I finally completed my .300 AAC build (other than deciding on sights). Here's a photo of it next to my 5.56 handgun build that is currently configured as a rifle.

http://images.spambob.net/navy-vet-1959/ar15-556-rifle-300-aac-handgun.jpg

As you can see, I decided to go with a separate lower and BCG for the additional upper.

Sorry for the crappy photo, but it was late and I was too tired to set up a REAL camera for the photo.

Del-Ray
08-13-2014, 05:33 AM
I envy you guys. Every time I get an upper it only takes about a month or so before I can't stand looking at it all dejected in the safe and get another lower. Hell, lowers are almost the cheapest part anymore.

Even my 50BMG upper finally got its own lower.

wordsmith
08-13-2014, 09:43 AM
Dedicated BCG for each upper. I verify headspace at build time and consider it a dedicated package. Switching BCG's (IMHO) requires checking headspace in every weapon you switch between.

Garyshome
08-13-2014, 02:03 PM
I don't have enough $$$ to have more than 1 of anything AR, although I would like to have an upper with a 20" and a 1 in 9 twist.

NavyVet1959
08-14-2014, 03:30 PM
I don't have enough $$$ to have more than 1 of anything AR, although I would like to have an upper with a 20" and a 1 in 9 twist.

How about this?
http://i.imgur.com/6876jF1.jpg

NavyVet1959
08-14-2014, 03:33 PM
I envy you guys. Every time I get an upper it only takes about a month or so before I can't stand looking at it all dejected in the safe and get another lower. Hell, lowers are almost the cheapest part anymore.

One thing that I've noticed though in my safe is that if I leave them in a handgun configuration or just have the uppers separated from the lowers, I can't put them in the long gun area and end up having to put them on the shelves. I'm running out of room to do that. :(

Motor
08-14-2014, 06:28 PM
Technically you should be able to use any BCG in any upper that is of the same caliber. You could use the same BCG in any number of uppers. This is the beauty of the design.

As most who replied "on topic" has stated though, its not the best way to go. Accuracy would very likely suffer as well as ware do to all the various mating parts trying to "break in" to each other. You would end up with loose fit in everything.

I have thought about using the same BC and have different bolts but really for the cost its just not worth it.