PDA

View Full Version : 7.62x39 reloading with h380

caleb1563
06-25-2014, 09:21 PM
Basically I need to know what ammount of h380 to use my book says for a 155gn to use 42 min in the cartridge only problem is the cartridge tops off at about 35 so I know this is a compressible powder but 42 overflows and I cannont find good data

GhostHawk
06-25-2014, 09:58 PM
H380 38.0 gr. 2,304 for 150 grain bullet. Also found 36 grains of H380 for 170 gr bullet. So I'd go to 36 grains and work up by half's see what gives you the best accuracy. Not my data, use at your own risk.

I've been using 20 grains of IMR 4895 myself and am very happy with it behind .312 185gr Gas checked bullets sized .311.

Good luck

caleb1563
06-25-2014, 10:38 PM
were did you get this data? I'm using .312 160gn molded sized at .311 gaschecked. I don't want to get a bullet stuck but I also don't want to blow my gun up

David2011
06-27-2014, 12:56 AM
Caleb,

First, welcome to CastBoolits!

Hodgdon doesn't list H380 as a suitable powder for the 7.62x39 on their website. Every Hodgdon powder they list for your cartridge is faster than H380. That makes sense with your observation that the case is full at 35 grains. Have you checked their website?

David

DrCaveman
06-27-2014, 01:36 AM
Hey caleb

That can be a fun round to shoot cast boolits in. It seems youve made a good choice on the weight, those CE Harris designed lee boolits seem pretty well liked...i have the 160 gr and it shoots great

Can i ask what book you got your data from? Compressing that much seems excessive

I personally think that powder is waaaaay too slow for 7.62x39. I have had best results using reloder7 with my 160 gr boolit. Also imr 4227 worked well. Both of those are significantly faster than h380. I guess ghosthawk found some data... But im still leery

Prob 4895 is about as slow as you want to go with powder. A stuck boolit, or tons of unburned powder are likely outcomes with h380

Is this question in the best category? Would something like 'cbloads, your favorite cartridge' or the military cartridge subforum?

MacFan
06-27-2014, 09:31 AM
were did you get this data? I'm using .312 160gn molded sized at .311 gaschecked. I don't want to get a bullet stuck but I also don't want to blow my gun up

I currently shoot the Lee CTL-160-2R gas checked, powder coated and sized to .314 (barrel slugs at .3128) with 18 gns of H4198. Shoots nice, accurate, not too hot and the gun cycles every time.

EDG
07-03-2014, 07:35 AM
I hate to sound nasty but you really need to look at your data more carefully.
If you have a problem like this and bring it to the net it appears you are not putting much thought into your loading. I notice you only have 2 posts. Are you a newly minted newbie?
I think you are using the data for the wrong Russian - that is you are using data for the much larger 7.62 X 54R round.

How you made this mistake and then could not resolve the issue by simple review of the facts points to the need for improving your work habits. You should double check everything especially data.

Double check your data by looking at another source of reliable data. Another source is not asking for data on a forum because you may get data from another newbie that has been loading about 15 seconds longer than you have.

Put in your long range plans a goal of buying at least 4 or 5 of the best loading manuals. By checking all the manuals against each other you can find their occaisional typos and avoid mistakes that could get you hurt.

SOFMatchstaff
07-03-2014, 10:17 AM
EDG, X ring, could of written that myself. I have mentored some that took right to it, and one or two that were just inattentive, or wouldnt listen. hopefully the lesson is a soft one and not bloody...

DR Owl Creek
07-03-2014, 12:30 PM
I hate to sound nasty but you really need to look at your data more carefully.
If you have a problem like this and bring it to the net it appears you are not putting much thought into your loading. I notice you only have 2 posts. Are you a newly minted newbie?
I think you are using the data for the wrong Russian - that is you are using data for the much larger 7.62 X 54R round.

How you made this mistake and then could not resolve the issue by simple review of the facts points to the need for improving your work habits. You should double check everything especially data.

Double check your data by looking at another source of reliable data. Another source is not asking for data on a forum because you may get data from another newbie that has been loading about 15 seconds longer than you have.

Put in your long range plans a goal of buying at least 4 or 5 of the best loading manuals. By checking all the manuals against each other you can find their occaisional typos and avoid mistakes that could get you hurt.

I couldn't have said it better myself!!!

Dave