PDA

View Full Version : Speedloaders for the Charter Arms Target Bulldog .44 special.

Animal
06-25-2014, 05:32 PM
One thing I noticed after fondling this fine little revolver was that it may not work so well with speedloaders. The cylinder keeps a close profile to the frame when it is ejected and the grip sticks out far enough to cause interference. I didn't allow this to deter my interest in purchasing this revolver. Cylinder timing, lock-up and all the other little things seemed to work very well. I figured that if I ever needed to load this revolver in a hurry, I've got bigger problems than what these five shots can handle... It is a bedside gun and woods gun, that is about it. If I'm using it for anything else, that means my other firearms are somehow not available or accessible.

But, because I'd like to practice with this firearm for self defense (like any other firearm I own) I'd still like a speedloader.... anyone out there have luck finding a speeloader that works with these guns?

Lefty Red
06-25-2014, 05:54 PM
Yes and no, for me. I used the HSK's CA44 model speedloaders for my Bulldog. I like the speed strips instead, but that is just me. I prefer speed strips in any caliber.

One thin about using speedloaders, especially HSK's is that when the rounds are just in the cyclinder that is when you turn the knob and dump them in. If not, you can get a binding of the rounds. Also don't worry about the speedloader itself and practice letting them just fall away. My friend still is mad at me for "scratching" his 5-Star loaders! LOL

Jerry

Charley
06-25-2014, 08:59 PM
You need to modify the standard grips or replace them. I installed some Pachmayr grips, now the HKS has enough clearance for use.

hanleyfan
06-25-2014, 10:48 PM
I had some speed loaders for my Taurus Judge and they also work for my charter bulldog 44 special.

KYCaster
06-25-2014, 11:53 PM
Another Speed Strip fan here.

More comfortable in your pocket than speed loaders, don't need to modify grips, you can recharge one or two rounds as necessary without dumping the whole cylinder.

8 bucks for a pair of them from Dillon.

Give them a try, you might like them.

Jerry

HeavyMetal
06-26-2014, 12:03 AM
The combo I found that worked for me:

429348 the CA 44 speed loaders and Pachmyer grips the shorter wad cutter gives you a bit more room to clear frame and grips but does require a touch more alignment. I nave not tried the 200 RF from Lee ( wasn't made when I was looking for a load) but it may be an answer instead of the 429348..

Catshooter
06-26-2014, 02:34 AM
I like Tuff Products' speed strips. They make them in a wide variety of calibers.

Cat

Animal
06-26-2014, 08:18 AM
You need to modify the standard grips or replace them. I installed some Pachmayr grips, now the HKS has enough clearance for use.

Cool! I just happen to have some Pachmayr grips coming in the mail as we speak!

Animal
06-26-2014, 08:23 AM
Another Speed Strip fan here.

More comfortable in your pocket than speed loaders, don't need to modify grips, you can recharge one or two rounds as necessary without dumping the whole cylinder.

8 bucks for a pair of them from Dillon.

Give them a try, you might like them.

Jerry

I've tried them in my .357 revolver. I never did get very good with using them. I imagine if I practice, I might get better. Kudoes to the speedstrip fans, ya'll deserve it![smilie=s:

W.R.Buchanan
06-26-2014, 12:25 PM
I did the same thing with my S&W696. HKS CA 44's are the right ones for it as well. The idea as explained above by Lefty Red is to get the nose of the cartridges in the holes and drop them. It works every time. If you try to get them further into the cylinder you only jam them. Gravity works really well here.

The key to the whole operation is to have the gun strait up and down, and to hang the loader loosely off its release knob between your thumb and fore finger so it is very flexible as to it's position. This way it easily lines up with the cylinder and as soon as the cartridges are all started,,, you drop them.

I have been practicing with dummy rounds made with no primers or powder in them. I used RFN boolits for these but have had no issues with feeding SWC's either.

I have been practicing with a dump bag on the front of my gun belt.

When ejecting the rounds you flop the cylinder open with the gun pointed somewhat down and then tip it vertical and hit the ejector with your thumb. All the spent rounds will drop in your strong hand and you can dump them directly into the bag. Then grab a new loader off your belt carrier and with the gun strait up and down, drop them in.

It is as fast or faster than a Glock.

I got 4 of the HKS CA 44 loaders and two of the HKS Speed loader pouches to hold loaded rounds on the belt.

A little practice is required and it helps to watch Jerry Miculek do it on Wednesday nights on the Outdoor Channel. He does it this exact same way with Moon Clips or Speed loaders.

Randy

EMC45
06-26-2014, 01:37 PM
SpeedStrips! Got them for my .44 Special Taurus and my .32 Caliber revolvers as well.

Old School Big Bore
06-26-2014, 06:25 PM
You need to either have the newer generation Pachmayrs or radically relieve the factory wood grips. The HKS are fine with any boolit nose that has some sort of taper. In this instance, gravity is our friend. Push the latch, turn the muzzle up to dump with the left thumb as the left fingers support the frame by the open window, simultaneous with the right hand grasping the next loader, then muzzle down, your right index finger is between two rounds and indexes on your left thumb, which is in a cylinder flute (whaddaya mean, ya gotta look at it? Can ya see in the DARK? Learn to do this by feel), pilot the noses in, twist the knob, drop the loader as you press (not slam) the cylinder shut as you re-acquire the firing grip and slide the left hand back into the support position, and you're up. Longer than six seconds from last to first, you're slackin'.

W.R.Buchanan
06-26-2014, 06:56 PM
Here's some pics of my practice rounds and proper positions for the gun during the different parts of the cycle.

Please note: You will have to fill in the strong hand as I had to use it to take the pictures.

These HKS Speed Loaders work really well.

Randy

Animal
06-26-2014, 09:08 PM
This turned into a very informative thread! thanks guys, the pics are great. I can't wait to get started.

TCLouis
06-26-2014, 10:19 PM
Speed strips for me also, though my bulldog is so unreliable I threw in the back of the safe so I would not be tempted to carry it anywhere.
In fact speed strips for any wheelgun for me because they lay flat.

This gun has already went back to factory for new barrel (new unfired)

Replaced broken hammer block safety bar (check for failure to fire after)

Thrown in safe.

Taurus 431 fires every time EVERY time, even those the Charter would not fire.

431 too big and heavy to carry, Bulldog light and unreliable.

3" 431 shoots to point of aim also.

Catshooter
06-27-2014, 12:50 AM
TC,

Charter has a pretty good customer service rep. I bought a rough, and I do mean rough Bulldog and sent it to them. For $49.95 they replaced a handful of small parts, the cylinder (the stainless steel was heavily pitted), test fired it and sent it back to me. Works a treat.

Cat

Petrol & Powder
06-27-2014, 09:57 AM
Can't address the Charter Arms Bulldog but I can speak with some authority on speed-loaders. When carrying spare ammo for a concealed revolver, I prefer a speed strip. For a five shot revolver I only put five rounds in the speed strip and leave the last hole near the tab empty. That gives you a little extra material to hang onto. The problem with speed loaders is the necessity that the speed loader be as large in diameter as the cylinder of the gun. A speed strip is flat and fits nicely in the watch pocket of blue jeans. The speed loader is faster to use but a speed strip is easier to carry/conceal.

When concealment is not an issue, I prefer a speed loader. I've used several different types of speed loaders and when I got serious with revolvers I went with Safariland and never looked back.
S.L. Variant speed loaders are great but rare and far too expensive. HKS speed loaders are readily available and generally priced right but the Safariland (comp I, II & III) function better for me and are every bit as reliable as the HKS models. However Safariland may not be a viable option for a Charter Arms gun, I don't know.

Combat Diver
06-27-2014, 01:05 PM
I've used HKS speedloaders with my CA Bulldog for decades. Have an old 3" model that I can also unlatch the cylinder by pull out the exposed extraction rod (besides the thumb latch). Old set of Pacmayer grips work well with the HKS. I use my CA for woods roaming (Smith 442 and speedstrip in front pocket for CC). I prefer HKS speedloaders as they also make models for my J frame .22s/38, K frame 38/357, N framed 41/44s and CA Bulldog. Only one system to learn.

CD

Petrol & Powder
06-27-2014, 02:09 PM
........ I prefer HKS speedloaders as they also make models for my J frame .22s/38, K frame 38/357, N framed 41/44s and CA Bulldog. Only one system to learn.

CD

/\ Roger that and a big thumbs up for only one system. A Uniform manual of arms has a HUGE benefit under stress. One of the drawbacks to Safariland loaders is the limited number of models available. I think if your not shooting a 38/357 in a S&W or a GP100, you're out of luck with a Safariland style loader.