PDA

View Full Version : Just purchased a new scale?

salpal48
06-25-2014, 05:09 PM
Just purchased this new scale from a university auction. It is a Christian Becker Chainomatic. For member who have never seen one it is capable of measurement in 1/10000 of a grain. For the work we do it is a over kill situation. It only works with weights as a counter balance. It will weigh 1 kernel, flake or sphere. . extremely accurate and too accurate for loading. It is non digital . and slow. . The chain is 14 carat gold and will weigh even finer if using this accessory but unfamiliar how to use it or the chain is stuck
I generally use the substitution weight method with lyman weights
I also have a Voland & Son but not as sensative
as I stated Over kill but it looks Very professional on my bench
Please review the 2 photo's posted
These show up on Ebay from time to time but not in good shape
Thanks for looking
Sal

John Boy
06-25-2014, 05:35 PM
Sal, nice find ... they are accurate to 1/10000 but the doors have to be closed. Otherwise, the weight will fluctuate because of the any outside air movement

salpal48
06-25-2014, 05:43 PM
. Thanks . yes I know. i noticed your from SJ. i shoot @ Dix. I try to get There every couple of Weeks
Sal

MrWolf
06-25-2014, 07:04 PM
Very nice find. Another SJ here. I shoot at South Jersey Shooting Club in Winslow.

salpal48
06-26-2014, 12:47 PM
Great to meet both of you guys
Sal

MrWolf
06-26-2014, 09:36 PM
Same here gents.

Ron

imashooter2
06-27-2014, 08:13 AM
Not to be a wise guy, but what good is it? What do you need to weigh to that accuracy?

Petrol & Powder
06-27-2014, 09:12 AM
What's it good for? Winning bar bets and bragging rights. :bigsmyl2:

Yea it's overkill but we're Americans which means one of our mottos is "bigger, better, faster, stronger"

imashooter2
06-27-2014, 12:06 PM
What's it good for? Winning bar bets and bragging rights. :bigsmyl2:

Yea it's overkill but we're Americans which means one of our mottos is "bigger, better, faster, stronger"

It isn't overkill, it's impractical.

Petrol & Powder
06-27-2014, 02:23 PM
It isn't overkill, it's impractical.

I think the OP knows that. I suspect that is not his primary scale.

salpal48
06-27-2014, 03:27 PM
Thanks for everyone reply, In my original post . I did say it was overkill But only looked good. I do have several other scales all manuals No digital, all Ohaus m 314, 315 and Webster. . Tried using it the other day. Works great but slow. . As I said too accurate for the work we do
Thanks Sal

Bent Ramrod
06-27-2014, 04:11 PM
Salpal48,

Tsk, tsk. You threw away a major part of the value of your purchase with your first post. You should have said that even though weighing was slow and tedious, since you've started weighing all shells, primers, powder charges and boolits to 1/10 of a milligram (0.000154 gr), you've seen a "dramatic" improvement in your shooting.:bigsmyl2:

They are cool to look at, those old things. There really is art in technology, if you look for it. I have a wooden cased Chain-O-Matic, unfortunately missing the wire holders for the pans and the glass out of the front. I remember watching that pointer swing back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. It had to swing the same number of divisions on each side to be the correct weight on the other pan and the chain. On the other hand, you could weigh a fingerprint on a piece of paper with one.

These kids today don't know how good they have it with their digital scales. (Grouse, grumble, curmudge.)

salpal48
06-27-2014, 04:55 PM
Thanks, maybe I 'm just to honest, i guess this scale is not for every one. I.m planing to load some 22 Hornet this week end and see how precise this scale really is as compared to the Ohaus 314. I use 4227 nice and small grains. I have used shooters weights and found they are really not on the money as compared to the certified Becker weights. . But i don't think 1/100th of 1/10 makes any difference in hand loading. If you wanted it you got it
Nothing like old stuff
Sal