PDA

View Full Version : Rock Chucker Supreme Primer Guard

Johnny_V
06-25-2014, 12:55 PM
After many requests, I finally got around to making my Primer Guard system for the Rock Chucker Supreme Press (these will fit only the Rock Chucker Supreme Press). I only have 30 of these made and they will be sold on a first come, first served basis. Price will be $30.00 plus $5.25 shipping. You can view a short video on the Primer Guard here (https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B236Cc8eRH-RdUtKTEVaWlp3SkU&usp=sharing). The unit does not come with any type of collection bin, only the Primer Guard. Send a PM for payment info (any form of payment but PayPal is acceptable)

If for any reason you are unhappy with the unit, return it to me, unmodified and I will gladly refund your purchase price (less shipping)

Moderators: If this is posted in the wrong area, please move it for me.

44Vaquero
06-25-2014, 01:19 PM
Excellent video and a very slick idea for primer collection on a RCS! A nice improvement over stock collection system.

Johnny_V
06-25-2014, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the accolades, much appreciated........

mold maker
06-25-2014, 04:05 PM
PM sent

Johnny_V
06-26-2014, 01:16 PM
PM sent

Mold Maker,

Got your PM and sent payment info.

Only 29 left.......

LAH
06-26-2014, 03:10 PM
I want one. PM inbound. I worked out a system on my own but it is not in the same league as this.

Johnny_V
06-26-2014, 03:43 PM
I want one. PM inbound. I worked out a system on my own but it is not in the same league as this.

LAH,

Got your PM and sent payment info.

Only 28 left.......

W.R.Buchanan
06-26-2014, 06:45 PM
Johnny" What a Great Idea!

I only have a Rockchucker Press so I probably can't use this, but I can easily see the benefit. My spent primers simply go everywhere on the floor as they seldom hit the trash can.

I hope you make a million!

Randy

Johnny_V
06-29-2014, 04:39 AM
Mold Maker,

PM sent.....

Johnny_V
06-30-2014, 02:52 PM
Mold Maker,

PM sent with tracking info....

LAH,

PM sent with tracking info

Johnny_V
06-30-2014, 04:01 PM
Sold another one...

27 still available....

Johnny_V
07-12-2014, 06:37 AM
Only 25 left....

GLL
08-10-2014, 12:04 PM
Nice design, well constructed, and works like a charm ! :)

I am setting mine up on a machine dedicated to depriming.

http://www.fototime.com/C7F9742C63B27FC/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/2FC6212D9F07F03/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/645C19D47781E2A/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/0117CDE919A107D/large.jpg

Jerry

mold maker
08-10-2014, 07:12 PM
This afternoon I finished over 4400/45 ACP, and 800/223 with the guard in place. My press was as clean as the one pictured above. I did have to file flat, the inside face of the press, to get correct fit, (corrected RCBS mfg cleanup) but was amazed at the total lack of scattered primers and black dust.
If ya use an RCBS Supreme to deprime, ya better not wait till their gone. This tool actually works like advertised.
Johnny V is "The Man."

Johnny_V
08-11-2014, 02:47 PM
This afternoon I finished over 4400/45 ACP, and 800/223 with the guard in place. My press was as clean as the one pictured above. I did have to file flat, the inside face of the press, to get correct fit, (corrected RCBS mfg cleanup) but was amazed at the total lack of scattered primers and black dust.
If ya use an RCBS Supreme to deprime, ya better not wait till their gone. This tool actually works like advertised.
Johnny V is "The Man."

Mold Maker,

I'm glad you're happy with the Primer Guard. Thanks so much for your review.

I believe I only have about 10 or 12 left and won't be making any again until the snow flies.

Thanks again for the rave review......

Djs3909
08-11-2014, 03:49 PM
Got mine today and it's great!!!

mold maker
08-20-2014, 01:43 PM
Got the second one, for a gift the other day, but have been really busy using the first one.
I'll get to fit the new unit on the second Supreme press this weekend.
Thanks for the updated tube.
In the interim I used the barrel of a ball point with an arched window cut on the exit side and an angle pressed (w/heat) to direct the spent primer out of the ram. (using LEE universal deprime die) The original tube works good for small primers, but the large ones tend to pile up blocking passage of the rest. A very small shot of silicone also helps.
I am totally pleased with the fact that there are zero primers and black dust, on the floor, or press. .
I got lazy and added a long funnel to the left side (of the press) cut to just fit inside 1 1/4 PVC to direct the brass to a 3 gal plastic food container, on the floor. I just flick the brass from the shell holder with my right middle finger, and set fresh brass in its place. I'm up to 1000 per hour on average, with a leisurely pace.
I lost the end of my left thumb and the index finger joint is stiff, making it hard to orient the brass in the shell holder. Folks with normal dexterity should be able to best me by a couple hundred per hr.
This is a well engendered and produced product. In short, It really works.
Thanks johnny

adanymous
08-21-2014, 10:43 PM
I really really want one, why won't it work on an old RC and can I mod my old one to make this work? I have a tile floor and the primers roll everywhere!

Johnny_V
08-22-2014, 12:04 AM
adanymous,

I would love to sell you one, but the sad fact is this will only work on the RC IV (Supreme) press. On the earlier versions of the Rock Chucker, the spent primers are routed through the front of the ram and hopefully into the factory primer catcher. On the RC IV, the primers are routed to the rear of the ram and into (again hopefully) the factory primer catcher. With my Primer Guard, the primers are directed through a guide tube (part of the Primer Guard) in the center of the ram then into the Primer Guard at the rear of the ram. Watch the video and I think you'll get what I'm saying. Also, take a look at Jerry's post (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?245996-Rock-Chucker-Supreme-Primer-Guard&p=2887429&viewfull=1#post2887429) (Great pictures) and you can see the Primer Guard mounted on the press.

Hope this answers your questions......

lcecil
09-03-2014, 09:52 PM
The old RC dropped the spent primer pieces toward the operator. It is possible to remove the lower pivot pin on some versions and reverse the ram, so long as you do not use the primer arm system. The old RC slot runs down the outside of the ram and that throws primers out much lower to the press frame. To capture the primers, you would have to move the primer tube to the bottom of the catcher. Not as friendly as the RC IV system, and gets in the way of your fingers a bit more.

Johnny_V
09-03-2014, 10:07 PM
The old RC dropped the spent primer pieces toward the operator. It is possible to remove the lower pivot pin on some versions and reverse the ram, so long as you do not use the primer arm system. The old RC slot runs down the outside of the ram and that throws primers out much lower to the press frame. To capture the primers, you would have to move the primer tube to the bottom of the catcher. Not as friendly as the RC IV system, and gets in the way of your fingers a bit more.

Reversing the ram, in theory, would be a great idea, if the presses were dimensionally the same, but they are not. I do however, have an original Rock Chucker, and hope to experiment with a primer Guard for it this winter (summer in Ohio is short enough and I would like to enjoy what little of it we have left).