PDA

View Full Version : Black Bear - I finally connected with a CB - thanks folks for all your help

Muskyhunter1
06-24-2014, 11:03 PM
I just want to thank the many people on this forum who were instrumental in helping me get my old custom Win Mod 94 SRC (Circa 1899) in 38-55 cal - shooting great.

I picked up that old rifle for 50 bucks from a gun shop that had caught fire (no fire damage to rifle). After molding and shooting, likely a thousand rounds that key holed and were not hitting the target at all, I got her shooting not too bad. It can likely shoot better than I can now.

To get to where it shot so well on the advise of forum members, I slugged the bore and got a grove diameter of .380. After trying bullets .375 up to .380 dia with little success, I contacted Tom at Accurate Molds and told him what I was looking for. Tom recommended making me mold# 3822505,which drops out a 255 grain bullet with a gas check in a Ranchdog design. The mold throws them .382 or better.

I bought a Lyman .381 sizer from another forum member here and I was off to the races. The slugs were molded with WW, lubed with Lyman Alox bullet lube and a copper Lyman GC added. On the advice from other members I worked up a load from the Lyman 45th Edition. I got her up to the max. of 21 grains of IMR 4227 (Please see last comment at end before you blast me). I was real pleased with both the performance and the accuracy of that load.

After a number of years of increasing bear problems (people getting killed/attacked) Ontario opened a limited spring Black Bear Season. I knew where the Black Bears were so I took a week off work to fish and hunt bears.

A good friend of mine wanted to come along. He had some medical issues a couple months prior and as as result we both missed the Spring Turkey hunt. He also had never shot a bear, therefore my first goal was to get him one. After a couple nights hunting (missing one) my buddy finally connected with his first black bear (30-06 with a jacket - sorry). It wasn't big but he was thrilled and got some good eating from it.

After spending the rest of the week fishing for Trout, Walleye and Northerns, he headed home and now was my turn.

I had one night to hunt before I had to go back to work so I took the old Winchester and went to a bear stand. I sat there for a couple of hours in the bugs. It was brutal. As the light was fading, I realized that as result of my aging eyes it was getting hard to see iron sights in low light. I put on my reading glasses and found they helped. I decided due to the bugs and the poor light, I was going to leave the bush well before dark.

Suddenly I heard a branch break behind me to the left. After about 10 - 15 minutes out popped a bear. He was right on my trail coming in. He knew something was up and stood up on it's hind legs and began testing the air. It focused in on me and began to stare. I couldn't move and at that moment it felt like I was covered in a thousand mosquitoes and they were all biting me. It was about the size of my buddies bear - just right for eating and legal.

The bear finally settled down and continued to walk right up to the base of my stand and out of my line of sight. I could hear his feet stepping in the brush. I then felt my tree stand shake as it was smelling or licking the ladder. Having the rifle all cocked and ready to go, I considered standing up fast and leaning over and taking a shot. I stopped, remembering how fast they can move. I decided to sit still. Suddenly under my reading glasses I saw the black figure glide past my tree stand and head to my bait at the bottom of the hill.

With his back to me it was my chance. I lined up the sights on it's upper right side of his chest and pulled the 115 year old trigger. The old rifle roared and the bear collapsed like someone pulled the plug. After a couple of seconds it began to kick a bit and having been a bear hunter for some 38 years, I nailed it again for insurance purposes. It is not fun tracking a wounded bear in dark thick swamp. I was truly shocked at the hitting power of those Ranchdog cast boolits.

Darkness was setting in fast and the bugs were getting thicker. I tore down my tree stand, got the bear gutted and it all dragged and into the truck as fast as I could.

When I got home I knew due to the very warm temperatures, I was going to have to get the hide off the bear and get it into the freezer. Once the the hide was off it occurred to me I never took a picture of the bear - oh well it wasn't my first bear (hopefully not my last) and wasn't a record or anything - sorry.

I did get the camera out as I wanted to at least get some images of the bullet wounds. After a couple of pictures while monkeying with the flash, my batteries died. Anyway here is the best picture of the entrance wound with the hide peeled off.

The entrance wound was 1.2" x .917". That was from a .380 dia. projectile. The bullet went downward hitting the spine, through the lungs and exited the front of the bears chest with an also perfect .380 dia hole. During the bullet's entry there was an obvious huge transfer of bullet energy. The blunt Ranchdog bullet even grabbed a plug of hair. I truly believe now the key to a good cast hunting bullet is a flat metplat. Unfortunately that doesn't help with long range shooting.

Anyway folks, thanks again for all your help. My advice to anyone who needs a good mold to match your old worn out rifle - go talk to Tom over at Accurate Molds. Tom will fix you up.

Oh yes one more thing. Kirk (Win 38-55) advised me I should likely back my off on my max. load of 21.0 grains of 4227 with such and old rifle. I think I will take his advice - Thanks Kirk. I will start working up a hot Cast boolite loading in my Marlin 375 Winchester now.

Musky

waksupi
06-25-2014, 01:38 AM
Very good. It sounds like your boolit performed perfectly. Don't be so sure about the longer ranges. I have two .358 Win. that will shoot well further than I will shoot at game, with large meplates.

Bad Water Bill
06-25-2014, 04:14 AM
Congratulations on a job well done sir.

A great story.

Now if there were not a ring 6" past the muzzle and only a hint of rifling in my grandfathers 1903 Win 94 "RIFLE" I just might take that old girl out of the retirement she so richly deserves.

500MAG
06-25-2014, 05:50 AM
Love the story. Great Cast hunt & kill.

Muskyhunter1
06-25-2014, 05:54 AM
Thanks lads.

Waksupi I did try those bullets at a 100 yards and was getting some fair accuracy but my sights are pretty coarse.

Bill you have to get that old rifle out of the cabinet and blow the dust out of it. My old rifle you could hardly see rifling and it very pitted. It seems the more I fire her the cleaner the bore gets. I think the gas checks scrape the bore every time it fires. Oversized dia slugs are critical i found.

MrWolf
06-25-2014, 06:23 AM
Great story especially getting the old girl to shoot as she should.

CastingFool
06-25-2014, 07:06 AM
Congrats on your first CB bear, great story, too!

smoked turkey
06-25-2014, 07:09 AM
Glad everything came together so well for you. Great story. Thanks for the pictures and letting us share in the adventure. I have a Marlin in 375 Win that needs to do something like this. Just naturally I'd have to go along to supervise.

nagantguy
06-25-2014, 07:24 AM
What a tale complete with help from cast boolit junkies and game on the ground. Also good fer you letting your friend have the first chance at a bear. Great post.

NVScouter
06-25-2014, 12:02 PM
Congrats! Nice big holes = dead critters!

Hickok
06-25-2014, 04:32 PM
Great story!

Most people don't have any idea how deadly a good cast boolit can be.

Bad Water Bill
06-25-2014, 04:45 PM
Most of the buffalo met their maker with those PB pills.

How many MILLION was that?

DougGuy
06-25-2014, 05:08 PM
Good boolit, good shooting, good story, good God let's EAT! :bigsmyl2:

harley45
06-25-2014, 06:42 PM
Great write up sounds like you had a good time!

Duster340
06-25-2014, 07:17 PM
Exciting stuff. Thanks for sharing the details of your hunting. Loving seeing them old rifles being used. And congrats!

Weaponologist
06-25-2014, 09:30 PM
That was a great Story, We have tons of Black Bear here in NC.. Would love to see some pic's of your Rifle..

Muskyhunter1
06-25-2014, 10:23 PM
Thanks again guys. I have to be honest that after this hunt I have no concerns taking any big game animal with a cast bullet. I can only imagine what something like a 45-70 would do. Bad Water Bill is right cast boolites have killed a mess of buffalo in the early years.

Taking the bear with that old rifle made the CB experience that much more special. I met lots of nay sayers that said that I would never get it shooting and I was wasting my time. I am finding the more i shoot it, it seems to get more accurate. Almost like those gas checks are scraping the bore clean of their way down out the spout.

Weaponologist here is a few pics of the old gal.

I am missing the the saddle ring but the stud is still there. I have a new one but don't think I will put it on. This rifle was also missing the rear sight so I pick up an old Mod 94 elevator sight for it. It shoots too high with it so it is likely not the right sight. I think this winter I will send away to the Winchester Museum to get some history on the rifle. Supposedly they say it costs about $75.00 bucks. According to a local collector he believes with the short mag and the pencil barrel it was likely a special order from Winchester. Time will tell.......... I am hoping it will tell me what type of rear sight it had when ordered. I had to put on a Marble Gamegetter rear sight and file it down to get the slugs in the bullseye.

KirkD
06-26-2014, 05:04 PM
That was an excellent report. I really enjoyed the account and the photos!!

Tom_in_AZ
06-27-2014, 02:43 AM
Congrats on your bear! Glad the boolit worked well for you.

TXGunNut
06-27-2014, 08:53 PM
Good job, congrats! Thanks for sharing.

Idaho Mule
06-27-2014, 09:25 PM
Muskyhunter, as others have said, thanks very much for the great write-up and pics. I just love hearing other hunter's stories of their different pursuits. Glad you got the old rifle shooting good, just think how much fun it can have in it's second life now that it found you. Someone smart enough to fit the load to the rifle, and the game. Ain't that why we're here?? JW

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
06-27-2014, 10:10 PM
Yep, great story!

However, ya must have gotten carried away, cause everybody knows cast boolits won't kill anything.:bigsmyl2: :kidding:

Really like been there and done that stories, and that is a good one!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot