PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have any experience with CCI Green Tag ammo?

C. Latch
06-24-2014, 06:27 PM
I found a guy today who had a few boxes in stock.

$20 per 100. No, that's not cheap. Yes, I have lots of cheaper ammo on hand.

The thing is, I don't have any match ammo (other than a partial box of Federal Gold Medal that's 15 years old) on hand. I realize that pre-panic I could have bought Wolf or Lapua or Eley for this price. The question isn't about that. I guess the question is this:

If I wanted a couple hundred rounds of ammo to really see how accurate a particular rifle might be (and then go kill some squirrels with it) is the Green Tag a good choice, or should I wait for a chance at something else?

Does the Green Tag need to be rim-sorted or is it pretty consistent as-is?

Any info would be appreciated.

jsizemore
06-24-2014, 06:42 PM
I've never found Green Tag to be worth my entry fee for a match. I'd shoot any of the others you mentioned or use CCI SV for a local match or testing. Green Tag isn't worth the money.

lefty o
06-24-2014, 06:57 PM
its nothing more than CCI standard, from a slightly better firing lot. its decent ammo, but not worth getting excited over.

NSB
06-24-2014, 07:17 PM
I shot rimfire competition for years and I've shot all the different brands out of some very, very accurate handguns and rifles. CCI Greentag isn't worth one penny more than CCI Std. velocity. There are a lot of better target shells out there.

C. Latch
06-24-2014, 08:14 PM
Thanks, folks. This is precisely what I needed to know. A long time ago I used to squirrel hunt with a 10/22 using CCI SV and it was very accurate, even out of a kid's 10/22.

Chill Wills
06-24-2014, 08:14 PM
its nothing more than CCI standard, from a slightly better firing lot. its decent ammo, but not worth getting excited over.
Not to be a stick in the mud but an autopsy does not seam to support that notion. Different powder and bullet when I checked. I do not know if that is true in all lots.

I have nothing against CCI. Not at all and really like many of there products but the Green Tag, at least in the last 20 years just ain't worth beans! For the price, you can buy (today) Eley club and get a few pennies back. For a little bit more $ much better ammo can be had, again, today.
I am not sure why CCI thinks their Green Tag is special. I wonder what chamber they test it in???????

Murphy
06-24-2014, 08:55 PM
It's been a good deal over 15 years now since I tested some Green Tag. I'd purchased a Remington Model 541-T and wanted to wring ever bit of accuracy I could out of it. I bought approximately 15 different types ammuntion for it. Some, were made by the same company with different bullet weights.

In the end, the CCI Green Tag (I think I paid close to $8 for a 100 pack) didn't impress me one bit. Like the others, I'm not sure why CCI seems to think it is all that great. Bulk Federal (550 round bricks) outshot it by far. Amazing huh?

As for measuring the case rim? The CCI Green Tags were very consistant. I mic'd every round I tested. Also, I ran basically the same test again using all of the same ammuntion a year or so later. I had decided I wanted to do some single shot handgun hunting. The gun was a T/C Contender with a 14" Match barrel. Again, the bulk Federals beat the CCI Green Tag.

In the end, Ely 10X (I think) and the Federal bulk 550 packs gave me the best accuracy. The Ely 10X beat the Federal bulk pack, but by just a hair. Not enough for me to justify shooting it for my intended purpose.

Murphy

bobthenailer
06-25-2014, 08:02 AM
Green tag has never impressed me much over the excellent CCI SV ammo
CCI green tag is just seleceted lots of regular CCI SV ammo that tested to be more accurate than the std set for SV ammo .
Perhaps CCI Select may be worth looking into?

wv109323
06-25-2014, 11:12 PM
I followed the .22 LR benchrest forums for a while. Ammo discussions were mostly around Wolf, SK, Eley and RWS. I never recall CCI Green tag being mentioned in use for competition. I shot NRA BE pistol with a guy that claimed he had some CCI Green Tag that was noticeably less accurate than CCI SV. He shot a S&W 41.

nagantguy
06-25-2014, 11:18 PM
If had better accuracy with some CCI mini mags and rem thunder bolts than the green tag I've been shooting lately because its what I could find without burning up stock, daughter and wife and neighbors wife do that for me. Anyhow I think the green tag I have is not match accurate out of rifles that are

gewehrfreund
06-26-2014, 02:15 PM
My experience has been similar to others here. Green Tag shot pretty well in a couple of my rifles, but not the best in any I have ever tired it in. I have about 20-30 rounds of GT left in my inventory and when it's gone, I won't be buying any more.
I too have found the CCI HV solids to be very accurate in several of my guns; almost as good as the best target ammo tried in them.

C. Latch
06-26-2014, 04:55 PM
I too have found the CCI HV solids to be very accurate in several of my guns; almost as good as the best target ammo tried in them.

I have a decent stash of Mini-Mags - old ones, from back in the days when they came in 100-round packs in 25-pack cardboard boxes for counter displays - but they're not here. I'll grab some next time I'm at dad's.

Has anyone shot the Remington-branded Eley ammo that Cabelas has in stock from time to time?

Chill Wills
06-26-2014, 06:55 PM
Has anyone shot the Remington-branded Eley ammo that Cabelas has in stock from time to time?

Its fine. It is, as best I can tell, Eley ammo packaged for Remington.
It shoots like and with and looks like its Eley equivalent;
black Match=Rem Match, orange Club=Rem Club Extra, yellow Target=Rem Target and like that.

You pay a little extra for it in the package with the Remington stripe BUT it can be found on a shelve....... now and then.

The slightly less expensive Eley is available mail order which has shipping. If buying quantities from a brick to a case; + shipping is the way to go.
To just try Eley because you never have or would like 50 rounds to compare to some other..... then picking it up in the store is great.
I hope like he!! we all have better and cheaper 22 ammo available soon! I am starting to see a little on shelves now and then!
Chill Wills

C. Latch
06-26-2014, 08:57 PM
Its fine. It is, as best I can tell, Eley ammo packaged for Remington.
It shoots like and with and looks like its Eley equivalent;
black Match=Rem Match, orange Club=Rem Club Extra, yellow Target=Rem Target and like that.

You pay a little extra for it in the package with the Remington stripe BUT it can be found on a shelve....... now and then.

The slightly less expensive Eley is available mail order which has shipping. If buying quantities from a brick to a case; + shipping is the way to go.
To just try Eley because you never have or would like 50 rounds to compare to some other..... then picking it up in the store is great.
I hope like he!! we all have better and cheaper 22 ammo available soon! I am starting to see a little on shelves now and then!
Chill Wills

I have considered buying a box or two of Eley, but am confused about which ammo is which - whether it has Eley or Remington on it. The places that have Eley in stock often have a half-dozen or more variants.

Also.....to completely change this thread up, with something like cheap Federal #510, will I see much gain if I weigh or rim-sort each round? Is it worth trying? Can I sort by rim thickness using calipers, or do I need a special tool?

(I know the tools exist - just wondering if I can get by without it for a few rounds?)

Chill Wills
06-26-2014, 10:05 PM
Also.....to completely change this thread up, with something like cheap Federal #510, will I see much gain if I weigh or rim-sort each round? Is it worth trying? Can I sort by rim thickness using calipers, or do I need a special tool?
(I know the tools exist - just wondering if I can get by without it for a few rounds?)

That truly is a different topic that if you get into it could be 100 posts for and against how well sorting works. It is up to you of course but you might ask under its own topic....:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

country gent
06-26-2014, 11:18 PM
Green tag has never really impressed me alot frommy rifles or pistols for that matter. One of the best all around performers in any firearm I put it threw was the cmp 22 white box the CMP sold 15-20 yeas ago. That was reputed to be federal 911 it shot about the same. I bought 8 cases of it ( 5000 rd / case) that year. It performed very well in a Kimber match, win 52, win 75 target, 10 22 target, Marvel conversion, S&W 41, Ruger 8" mark 3, And several other ruger semi auto pistols. Shame its no longer available. Im downto just a few bricks left, But the kids are on thier own now so it lasts alot longer. One thing to keep in mind is to test several diffrent brands in your rifle as somee may perform better than others. Testing diffrent ammo over diffrent days and conditions can be a eye opener. Right now thats easier said than done, but some firearms will show a definite prefrence for one brand, type, lot number over others.

franklin!
07-05-2014, 08:25 PM
Green Tag never shot well in anything I had. Began an exhaustive experiment two summers ago to find best .22 LR round for my CZ bolt gun. If it shot three-fourths of an inch or less at 50 yards (scoped rifle - from a rest), it was worthy of consideration. The winner? Federal #510, which has disappeared in the current mania. The runners up? Winchester Power Point and Winchester Dyna Point. All these shot half-inch or slightly better. Used about 25 different kinds of ammo -- match,el cheapo,standard, high and hyper velocity, hollow point, plated, plain lead. CCI, Winchester, Remington, Wolfe, Eley, Armscor, Aguila, etc. Biggest disappointment? Anything marked target. Most fun? 60 grain "subsonic." Biggest surprise (other than Federal #510)? Armscor 40 gr. lead RN -- better than my former "go bang" favorite, Winchester Wildcat. Most unusual result? Wolfe ammo --- Man, does that stuff stink!! Perfect for a skunk hunt! What's up with that?
Common thread of all ammo which shot well - velocity. Standard and hyper shot poorly. High velocity worked best. Lo, I have rediscovered the wheel!

Gun_nut83
07-05-2014, 08:39 PM
If I'm wanting a match I try and find the federal gold, but I'm also partial to the CCI Stingers. Just my preference.

enfieldphile
07-05-2014, 09:50 PM
That's the rub! Green Tag (GT) is simply CCI STD. BUT, the lots that have the most consistant velocity, are set aside as GT. That does not mean it's the most accurate in any particular rifle, just that it has the lowest deviation in velocity. It may, or may not be any better or worse then the next lot on target.

Eley did the same thing w/ a particular flavor. The most consistant lots were gradded the next step up. They were set aside, boxed a different color, a different name and priced accordingly.

Bullet configuration, lube, etc often changes in a flavor. Now, most of us wonder, "Why bloody well change something that works??! :-? :shock: :roll: Good question then! But it happens all too often. Then everyone goes scrambling about trying to find lots of their favorite, discontinued flavor.

Not to be a stick in the mud but an autopsy does not seam to support that notion. Different powder and bullet when I checked. I do not know if that is true in all lots.

I have nothing against CCI. Not at all and really like many of there products but the Green Tag, at least in the last 20 years just ain't worth beans! For the price, you can buy (today) Eley club and get a few pennies back. For a little bit more $ much better ammo can be had, again, today.
I am not sure why CCI thinks their Green Tag is special. I wonder what chamber they test it in???????

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
07-08-2014, 03:10 PM
Yep, I'd go along with the great majority of posters that say Green Tag is nothing special.

I like CCI ammo, and have lots of it on hand, but when Green Tag is put on the bench along side other match or target ammo, it always is one of the lower rated products, and this from my Clark Custom 77/22 that tends to do quite well with a bunch of different products.

Now, it may give respectable groups in some peoples eyes, but when compared with other ammos in the CRuger with it's Walther barrel, I see some "typical off the shelf" ammo out shoot it.

In your rifle, well there is only one way to find out!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

C. Latch
07-13-2014, 06:02 PM
So.....cabelas has that Norma tac-22 in stock again. Any reports on it?

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
07-13-2014, 06:42 PM
Can't answer the question about the Norma ammo sorry!

But I was out in the terrible heat yesterday to finally ring out a 10/22 build, which by the way shoots great!, and tested 8 different match/target ammos.

After that bit more then 120 rounds, I tried some CCI Mini Mag hollow point and solids and a couple different Winchester Super X products.

I had CCI green tag along and possibly later this week I may get out for more testing and give it a try.

It will need to shoot really well to beat out the Mini Mags, which would be a surprise.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

C. Latch
07-13-2014, 07:43 PM
Can't answer the question about the Norma ammo sorry!

But I was out in the terrible heat yesterday to finally ring out a 10/22 build, which by the way shoots great!, and tested 8 different match/target ammos.

After that bit more then 120 rounds, I tried some CCI Mini Mag hollow point and solids and a couple different Winchester Super X products.

I had CCI green tag along and possibly later this week I may get out for more testing and give it a try.

It will need to shoot really well to beat out the Mini Mags, which would be a surprise.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

I have somewhere north of 3k rounds of early 1980's vintage CCI Mini Mags.

I guess I need to quit hoarding them and try them in this rifle. Being a bolt gun, 3k should last a while.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
07-13-2014, 07:58 PM
C. Latch,

I was surprised and pleased just how well the Mini Mags shot in the tricked out 10/22.

The solids went 4 at 3/8" (one out, me or flier???) 5 - 3/8", 5 - 7/16" and 5 - 5/8"

Then the hollow points went 5 - 1", 5 - 3/4", 5 - 13/16", 5 - 1/4"

One thing I only saw a couple of times was the barrel needing to be seasoned between brands of ammo. Then, it was only one shot and the groups were again tight and consistent.

I also fired my tests in 3 - 5 shot groups to see if the last groups were tighter then the first. That happened a couple of times, but there was no indication that seasoning a barrel was any more then a sometimes thing.

All groups over a bench and bags at 50yds.

More testing to come! I hope!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

C. Latch
07-13-2014, 08:24 PM
That's pretty good shooting.

If they do that well in the Mossberg (144LSA) I'll be very, very pleased.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
07-14-2014, 03:15 PM
Looks like this next Friday may bring on another chance to test the 10/22, so will put CCI Green Tag in the plans.

Have some better and likely much easier to hold point of aim on targets printed off yesterday, so will give it a go.

Have limited remaining supplies of Match/target ammo on hand, most of my stash bought shortly after I bought my Clark Custom 77/22, so will check out the stash and see what I have enough of to do a reasonable test series. Green Tag will be one of those.

Doubt that the Green Tag will be any more impressive then past tests have shown but the proof for this rifle will be found in putting the rounds through the Feddersen barrel.

I know the Walther Barrel on the Clark Custom 77/22 is good, and even there the Green Tag results were not overly impressive, but could be a different story with the Feddersen barrel.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Huffmanite
07-16-2014, 01:40 PM
About the Norma TAC 22. I'm on my 2nd brick, bought maybe 4 months apart from Midway. I compete in an open sight 22 rifle competition shot at 50 yds from benchrest at range I'm a member. Use maybe a 80 year old BSA model 12 Martini target rifle in the competition. Usually win or finish 2nd in the monthly event when I'm able to participate. I've used the Norma TAC in the last two events....I finished first in both. I have various kinds of much more costly match ammo I can shoot, Eley Tenex, Lapua Center X for example, but the Norma TAC has been as consistently accurate as them for me. LOL, three of my chief competitors in the event with much newer target 22 rifles costing around $600, showed up at range last weekend with Norma TAC ammo to try.....darn, they are switching to it. Guess, I'll have to switch to another more costly ammo which I've recently discovered to shoot a little tighter group than the Norma.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
07-18-2014, 10:22 PM
I did get out again with the new 10/22 build and made it a point to test CCI Green Tag.

AS I had reported earlier, my tests had shown Green Tag to be Non-impressive, but today with the Feddersen barrel the results were very surprising.

Groups fired at 50yds.

The first 5 shot group did have a first shot flier that opened the group to 11/16 with 4 going into 5/16"

Then the next 3 - 5 shot groups were 3/16", 1/4" and 5/8"

This 10/22 is a good shooting rifle and I have had a good number of groups 1/4" - 1/2", but this 3/16" group is the smallest to date and it was shot with what I thought to be a so so product.

However, a good lot number teamed with a good barrel that likes the Green Tag, just may surprise you. It did me.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

canyon-ghost
07-18-2014, 11:11 PM
Hmm...Green Tag is some good stuff. Inexpensive, off the shelf competition ammo. It's lovely 22 ammunition.

Geezer in NH
07-21-2014, 08:18 PM
It was their attempt at target ammo but win T22 was better at less price when I competed in galley 22 pistol

C. Latch
07-21-2014, 08:55 PM
Well, I should get to test out some old mini-mags this weekend. Meanwhile, I've been thinking about trying some of that Federal Automatch, and Cabela's had some in stock last week. I have a 325-count box on its way. I'll try it out as soon as it gets here.

C. Latch
07-27-2014, 08:43 AM
Did some shooting yesterday:

The Federal 510 did slightly over an inch for 10 shots at 50 yards. They've done better in the past, so this isn't a condemnation of them.
Federal Automatch did 1.7" for 5 shots, two different times, and I didn't bother with a 10-shot group after seeing that.
Federal Gold Medal Match (it was $12/box when I bought it 18 years ago, most of the box has been sitting there corroding, I had to buff the corrosion off the rims to shoot them) went in 7/8 of an inch for 7 shots.

CCI Mini Mags (I have several thousand from the 1980's, and have refused to shoot them for plinking) went into .95" for 10 shots at 50 yards. These, and the FGGM, were both relatively center-dense groups, I didn't calculate mean radius but it would have been notably smaller than either of the cheaper Federal loads.

I'll stick with the mini-mags for now. The gun in question is a Mossberg 144 LSA; I had a feeling that the FGGM would do better, and it may be that this rifle simply isn't capable of much better accuracy with any ammo. I'll continue to try better ammo as it becomes more avaulable; for now, the Mini-Mags will do for squirrels and crows and such.

DLCTEX
07-27-2014, 03:47 PM
A lgs this week had the Remington Ely ammo at $25 per 50 rd. box. I passed it by.

dtknowles
07-27-2014, 08:24 PM
A lgs this week had the Remington Ely ammo at $25 per 50 rd. box. I passed it by.

At the local gunshow a couple weeks ago, I bought one box of the Remington Eley for $11. I might have picked up a couple but I had just bought a brick of Wolf Match so I had already spent $60 on Match .22 ammo. He gave me his card because he wanted to move the stuff as it was ordered for a customer who did not pick it up. I shot some of both and I am glad I did not buy more as the Wolf shot better from my Savage model 10. I have some SK match ammo as well as some others, I will post targets and data later. The SK and the Wolf have the same headstamp and the boxes are much the same with the lot number and other stuff in the same place with the same font. They also shot similarly. The only thing that shot better was Eley Tenex. The Remington Eley and the Eley Sport shot about the same (as each other but not as well as the Tenex or Wolf or SK.)

Tim

C. Latch
07-27-2014, 08:37 PM
Have you seen the Wolf Match in stock anywhere lately?

dtknowles
07-27-2014, 09:50 PM
I have not been checking for sources online. I found it at the local gunshow for 500 for $60

Tim