PDA

View Full Version : a wheres waldo for revolver guys

stephenj
06-23-2014, 10:37 PM
i thought i had a misfire with my uberti cattleman today .. until i tore it apart

just for fun lets see how long it takes you to spot the problem ... this should be easy for everyone

Blammer
06-23-2014, 11:01 PM
no ammo, no wonder a misfire. :)

454PB
06-23-2014, 11:03 PM
The firing pin looks a bit short......

DeanWinchester
06-23-2014, 11:11 PM
No wonder it misfired, you got it tore all to pieces.

dsbock
06-23-2014, 11:27 PM
Looks like the sear and bolt spring snapped. Pretty common issue. I try to keep a couple of spares around.

It should look like this:

There is a wire spring version (http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/trigger-group-parts/trigger-parts/trigger-springs/single-action-trigger-bolt-spring-prod6875.aspx) that can be used to replace the flat spring style. I just haven't bought one yet.

David

EdS
06-24-2014, 06:44 AM
So, what actually happened? Did the firing pin drop between chambers? -Ed

jimb16
06-24-2014, 09:09 AM
Yup! Broken trigger/cylinder stop spring. Split right in half.

stephenj
06-24-2014, 01:46 PM
eds
yes sir cylinder didnt lock up and the firing pin struck between chambers .

i cant remember if this is the second or third time i have replaced it , and ill be danged if i can find my spare .
i think in a few weeks once i have some cash in my fun fund again i am going to order a wolff spring kit and try out the wire spring instead of a flat spring .

robertbank
06-24-2014, 02:54 PM
Just replaced mine two weeks ago. I now have a spare on hand. I think inserting the cylinder without half cocking the gin does it but I am not sure.

Bob

doc1876
06-25-2014, 09:25 AM
Looks like the sear and bolt spring snapped. Pretty common issue. I try to keep a couple of spares around.

It should look like this:

There is a wire spring version (http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/trigger-group-parts/trigger-parts/trigger-springs/single-action-trigger-bolt-spring-prod6875.aspx) that can be used to replace the flat spring style. I just haven't bought one yet.

David

I use this same wire in most of my Colts, however you must bend it to fit. The trigger action is not always on the money, and can be useless, kind of like a slip gun, if not tweaked. When installing while gun is still apart, check the trigger action against ALL OF the hammer spurs DILIGENTLY!! I have never had any problems with the cylinder stop side of the spring.
after total assembly, go over it with your ears, and listen and feel closely, and make sure it clicks in each notch sufficiently. Afterwards work the action as if firing, several times. only after this is done, and you have a good stiff trigger and the action works like it should, should you install any ammo.
I do tell you this from experience, and yes it was a bad one.

doc1876
06-25-2014, 09:26 AM
Just replaced mine two weeks ago. I now have a spare on hand. I think inserting the cylinder without half cocking the gin does it but I am not sure.

Bob

nope, they just break

robertbank
06-25-2014, 09:32 AM
Well that is good to know. I knew the gun design was not as robust as it might be and this problem no doubt plays a part in the designs reputation.

Bob

44man
06-26-2014, 09:53 AM
Flat springs are a pain in the butt. some will last 200 years, others let go in a month.
I have had them break on flintlocks when hunting. Went to the store and bought rubber bands to replace the frizzen spring (Sorry, can't spell!) I was seen in the woods and actually was laughed at back home, 100 miles away. It was so funny, everyone knew about it but I got my deer.
I made my own and many main springs that will last forever. Any flaw at an edge will crack, like glass cutting where you take the cutter off the edge.

44man
06-26-2014, 09:55 AM
If you stone the edges of a new spring smooth, it will last longer.

robertbank
06-26-2014, 10:06 AM
If you stone the edges of a new spring smooth, it will last longer.

Good to know.

Bob

stephenj
06-26-2014, 12:14 PM
the origonal main spring that came with the revolver was finished a bit poorly . it broke somewhere around 1500-2000 rounds .
i took a stone to the new replacement spring and smoothed the edges and thinned the spring a bit to lighten it up , its been in there ever since .
but i think its time to just order a new spring kit and have extras for all of them ... broken revolvers are depresing

sure wish i could find my extra bolt spring ..crs wins again .

Springfield
06-26-2014, 12:20 PM
I make my own wire springs, I find the Wolffe versions too weak for me. It does give the gun a different feel when cocking, and I have never broke one.