PDA

View Full Version : smelting lead with wood gas

gotlead
06-23-2014, 09:43 PM
So I know you guys use a lot of propane to smelt your lead and was wondering
If anyone has tried wood gas instead. I have already built the downdraft gasifirer
For running my gen set and it seems to be a perfect fuel for the crab cooker.
There is no cost for fuel as it uses wood scraps and such.

country gent
06-23-2014, 09:55 PM
Considering alot of busses and Taxis in england ran on gas produced from smoldering coal during ww2 it should work okay. I have smelted over a wood fire with a blower and it worked fine.

Jayhawkhuntclub
06-27-2014, 10:55 AM
What is "wood gas"? Thanks.

6mm win lee
06-27-2014, 12:34 PM
What is "wood gas"? Thanks.

This is wood gas

Wood Gas Truck How to full show
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3KipK49v7g

From what I can tell it is just plain ol carbon monoxide.

RogerDat
06-27-2014, 01:12 PM
It's hydrogen and carbon monoxide. I think the hydrogen is the fuel part of the mix. Might be picking up some energy fro the carbon monoxide too but my bet is on the hydrogen being the main part.

gotlead
06-28-2014, 12:34 AM
20percent carbon monoxide which is highly flammable 20percent hydrogen and 2percent methane
If I remember correctly. Anyway it burns very clean and hot giving off only CO2. The one I built took a couple days using a hot water tank a steel scuba bottle some sheet steel and a 5 gal propane bottle.

CastingFool
06-28-2014, 07:51 AM
In the last episode of "Mountain Men", Horace converted a small pick up truck to run on wood gas. I had never heard of anything like that before.

62chevy
06-28-2014, 10:52 AM
In the last episode of "Mountain Men", Horace converted a small pick up truck to run on wood gas. I had never heard of anything like that before.

It's been on Youtube for several years, I found them about a year ago.

jonas302
06-28-2014, 10:56 AM
I use wood using wood gas would just be cleaner should work fine if it runs your cooker

Freightman
06-28-2014, 02:23 PM
I have smelted led over a wood fire not real hard it is cheaper than propane

dikman
06-29-2014, 02:31 AM
it is cheaper than propane

Mmmm, depends whether you have to buy the wood (and what type of wood you use - some burns hotter than others, some smokes more) plus it requires more attention than gas and it is difficult to regulate the heat. Having said that I've done it too, but the last time the radiant heat and the smoke got a bit much after a while :(.

hickfu
07-01-2014, 12:06 AM
Wood gas only has about half the BTU's of propane but it should still have no problem smelting lead alloy. I have had my gasifier almost done for way too long and I need to get back to finish it... Body just doesnt like to cooperate any more...
Engineer775 has even used a compressor to compress the wood gas into an old propane bottle.. He has a lot of other neat things to build if you like to play around with stuff.....check him out on youtube

Can you post a pic of your gasifier? I like to see how others design theirs.

Doc

gotlead
07-07-2014, 12:02 AM
I will get a photo out but need some time to figure out how to do it. My job is pretty much taking
All of it right now.

Jayhawkhuntclub
07-07-2014, 03:08 PM
Well, you folks taught me something new. Thanks.