PDA

View Full Version : Grip angle test

Jim
01-18-2008, 07:24 PM
I've had my eye on a Glock 23 for some time now. Today, I learned that the grip angle of Glocks is all wrong for me. After being shown how to run the test, I found out that the Springfield XDs are perfect for me.
Any of y'all heard of this grip angle test? You take the pistol in hand, close your eyes, bring the pistol up to firing position and open your eyes. If you're looking right down the sights, you're on. If the front sight is high, the angle is too far back. If the front sight is low, the angle is too far forward.

NVcurmudgeon
01-18-2008, 08:22 PM
Any of y'all heard of this grip angle test? You take the pistol in hand, close your eyes, bring the pistol up to firing position and open your eyes. If you're looking right down the sights, you're on. If the front sight is high, the angle is too far back. If the front sight is low, the angle is too far forward.

Yep, about fifty years ago. A number of pistol experts in the gun mags used to regularly pontifcate on the completely unsuitable grip angle of the 1911. This magazine circulation promoting "controversy" died off in the sixties when Hi-Standard changed their entire line of target .22 pistols to a Colt clone grip from the previously used grip angle that was close to the Luger. Then Bullseye pistol shooters bought about a jillion .22 pistols from Hi-Standard to match the feel of their 1911s. IIRC H-S called their new grip the "military" grip.

floodgate
01-18-2008, 08:53 PM
...and some years later, Rugger did the same thing to their .22 autopistol. There's a message there!

Then there's the Mauser "Kuhfusspistole" ("Cows-Hoof Pistol"; I like that better than "Broomhandle"). Look at one and you'd think it was the clumsiest grip in the world. Shoot one and it's a pure delight! Go figure.

Fg

danski26
01-19-2008, 02:08 AM
It's all what you get used to. If you shhot a lot of glocks, ruger mk1,2, or some of the others with the same grip angle you'll do fine with the eyes closed test. You shoot 1911 or such and try the Glock you will be shooting high.

S.R.Custom
01-19-2008, 02:18 AM
...y'all heard of this grip angle test? You take the pistol in hand, close your eyes, bring the pistol up to firing position and open your eyes. If you're looking right down the sights, you're on. If the front sight is high, the angle is too far back. If the front sight is low, the angle is too far forward.

I would only consider this important if I were shooting with my eyes closed. But since I'm not, I'll use the sights as they were intended, and hold the weapon in whatever manner is necessary to use said sights. Practice and training will quickly overcome any initial awkwardness.