PDA

View Full Version : Mosin 7.62x54R

folson
06-23-2014, 07:34 PM
hey team new to the forum and have a question already. I had to modify my rifle buy taking off 4 inches of the barrel. I believe I have a good even cut and finish. First time with a rifle. Is there anything else recommended? Thanks:mad:

bersa380
06-23-2014, 07:35 PM
Why did you have to cut 4 inches off the barrel?

kenyerian
06-23-2014, 07:39 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/684575/ptg-11-degree-muzzle-crown-facing-tool-with-30-caliber-and-up-4-pilot-set-300-312-330-366?cm_vc=ProductFinding. It will probably need to be re-crowned.

folson
06-23-2014, 07:52 PM
Thanks. Have had my Mosin forever with the receiver modified for scope. The front sight was damaged so decided today for a project to cut back 4". Not being a smith was afraid I would be advised to recrown. never done it. Well guess there is always a first time

Bored1
06-23-2014, 07:54 PM
Google how to recrown it using a brass bolt/screw. I've read a ton of articles and posts here with members being happy with the results. Not sure I'd wanna spend 100$ crowning a 99$ rifle!

Not knocking the mosins in anyway!!! I LOVE mine, just can't see spending money like that on a mosin!

Quite a few videos of it pop up on google.

nagantguy
06-23-2014, 08:24 PM
Its simple like was stated lots of info on how to and how to make do with what's on hand and home made tools. If you fear its over your head there is this guy on cast boolits, nagantguy of some such nonsense hear he's a odd duck and a bit of a jerk but I'm sure he could give your beat up old naggy a good home.

texassako
06-23-2014, 09:54 PM
Check with 4D Reamer Rentals to see if they have a crowning tool for rent. They had an 11 degree tool listed for rent when I was looking a while back before finding one local. $25 I think plus a deposit.

Mr opinionated
06-23-2014, 10:41 PM
don't laugh to hard but this is what i did, take a lee case length gauge for a 223 wrap tape on the shaft i used blue painters tape so you get a tight fit, little oil and some hand pressure and start turning it toke me about 2.5 hours to finish what you see in the pics my hand was cramping a lot but i am old,you will have to polish all the edges when you get done. When you retired and on fixed income spending more for a tool than the value of what your working on is hard to get by the wife so you adapt and over come.

I seen this done on the internet but it seems the web page is gone now go figure!

KLR
06-23-2014, 11:42 PM
I crowned my muzzle with a 1/4" carriage bolt in a cordless drill and some valve grinding compound.

folson
06-24-2014, 08:03 AM
I really appreciate all the advise. I agree for a low budget rifle spending alot for the crown tools. I also have seen the articles on using a 1/4 carriage bolt. I'll give that a try. I am also going to call my local guy and see what he will charge. Thanks again to all:bigsmyl2:

Garyshome
06-24-2014, 08:07 AM
You Tube!

303Guy
06-28-2014, 02:23 AM
I 'crowned' a barrel by cutting it then squaring it with a file using a square to check my progress. I have another rifle done this way which I'm told was very accurate. The problem is that the muzzle is vulnerable to damage.

daengmei
06-28-2014, 12:22 PM
Most MN barrels are tapered and make it difficult to square the end without gunsmithing tools. There are a few posts on the web that explain the use of a Lee case trimmer. If you can keep it tight inside the bore it will allow you to square the barrel. You will be limited to the actual diameter of the trimmer but can additionally file the outer uncut area.

wallenba
06-28-2014, 01:40 PM
You can get a facing cutter and target crown cutter from Brownell's. You will need a cuffcutter also to remove the sharp edge, and a caliber specific pilot. All that will cost way more than your rifle did. But the job can be done with a low speed drill. There are videos on youtube too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-y8lNlnLMM

http://www.brownells.com/search/index.htm?k=crowning+cutter&ksubmit=y

1911cherry
06-28-2014, 10:28 PM
The carriage bolt method works, surprisingly well.

KLR
06-29-2014, 09:59 PM
...and if you don't like the results from the carriage bolt method you can then try the more expensive methods. It's not like you're working with a rare/expensive barrel and you only get one shot at it.

leadman
07-01-2014, 12:18 PM
I have shortened and recrowned many rifles over the years. For most of the mil-surps a square and a file work to square up the end of the barrel.
I use a countersink from Home Depot to recess the bore slightly. Think it is a 45 degree. I do it free hand with a cordless drill. Pretty easy to see if the angle is the same all the way around. I take the drill and countersink with me to the range and if does not shoot as good as it should I crown it again.Using a soft lube will give you a lube star and make it easier to see if the crown is off.

Bored1
07-01-2014, 12:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoSI_O3Oc3w