PDA

View Full Version : How much would you pay for this?

Scott_In_OKC
01-18-2008, 06:22 PM
About 200 pounds of pure lead that was removed from the walls of an X-ray room during demolition. Most of it is in 12" square sheets, some of it is in 1 pound ingots

I've got a line on this, but don't have an idea what it's worth.

Forester
01-18-2008, 06:46 PM
$50-60 max I think, though it may be worth more to those who want and need pure lead. Remember to figure the tin you will likely need to add into what you think it is worth to you.

cbrick
01-18-2008, 06:56 PM
Also, what will determine the value to you will depend on what type of bullets your casting. If you do mostly rifle or magnum handgun pure lead will have a limited value to you. Its always good to have some on hand for HP's, slugging bores and cylinder throats and of coarse the smoke pole guys crave pure lead.

If you can get it cheap enough and don't really need the very soft stuff yourself it does make great trading with those that do.

Rick

shooter575
01-18-2008, 10:33 PM
That dead soft X ray is gold for RB and minne shooters.typicaly worth twice is weight in WW for swaping

Buckshot
01-19-2008, 04:20 AM
................Lead at either end of the scale is a lot harder to find then scrap in the middle. On one end you have linotype (of the common hard variety) and on the other end you have pure dead soft lead (not a 'tink' inna carload) :-).

Sometimes you can find soft lead cheap as whoever has it for centerfire boolits maybe can't use it.
In the same vein, a muzzleloader has no real use for linotype or WW.

If both are savvy, they'll try and hook up and both will get a good deal.

Lead is a commodity. It's a tangible you can hold in your hand and has intrinsic value, unlike our current 4 cent paper dollar. Lead will ALWAYS be worth something.

..............Buckshot

Blackhawk Convertable
01-19-2008, 09:53 AM
The scrap yard here is paying 40¢ a lb. for soft lead currently. That would make 200# = $80

John-n-va
01-19-2008, 10:02 AM
and bet most would pay $.50 a lb or more for the soft stuff. I know I would if I didn't have a couple thousand lbs stashed away.

Scott_In_OKC
01-19-2008, 10:07 AM
I'm trading him some 5.56 and a little cash, and he's throwing in some ingot molds and a ladle. So it's going to end up being in that $0.50/lb range.

mroliver77
01-19-2008, 07:36 PM
Look on EBay what it sells for. EEEKKK!!! Also for 38 special or light rifle loads you can thin Wheel weieghts way down with pure lead and water drop for some fine boolits. I am such a tite wad! J