PDA

View Full Version : Anyone casting for the 204 Ruger?

oldred
06-23-2014, 01:57 PM
This thought just occurred to me today, 22 LR velocities shooting cast in my 204 Contender carbine. Good idea or an exercise in futility? I would need to start from scratch except for maybe the possibility of having the right powder(s) on hand but I really don't know where to start trying to decide on that, also I would need to buy a mold so suggestions there would be in order. I have never tried casting/shooting anything that small in the past and that sure is a lot of case capacity for such a small bore but it should be a lot of fun if it's worth the effort.

stephenj
06-23-2014, 04:12 PM
my prescription for your ailment .. find a large block of wood and a large mallet
then place your head on the block of wood and use mallet to beat yourself senseless .

or place head in vice and tighten .

but seriously .. i think your first step is a mold ... it maybe be a challenge finding someone to make you a mold and it wont be cheap when you do .
i'd doubt anyone could lathe bore that small a hole .. so you would likly be looking at the cost of the mold and a custom cherry to cut it with .

oldred
06-23-2014, 05:26 PM
my prescription for your ailment .. find a large block of wood and a large mallet
then place your head on the block of wood and use mallet to beat yourself senseless .

or place head in vice and tighten

Well for sure in my case that couldn't do any harm!! :mrgreen:

I kind of figured it wouldn't be practical but I thought I would ask anyway, seems like it would be a neat set-up if it could be made to work but even if a mold could be had reasonably enough that's still an awfully big case in relation to a bore that size for dropping velocities down to a reasonable level.

stephenj
06-23-2014, 07:56 PM
the more i think of this.. the more interesting it becomes .... gas checks crossed my mind but i think thats is less of a problem then a mold .. im sure pat marlin could whip up a check maker .

chsparkman
06-23-2014, 08:10 PM
I would be interested in a mold in that size, about 30-35 grains with a flat point. It would be perfect for my Remington 5mm mag converted to centerfire.

MT Gianni
06-23-2014, 09:57 PM
It would also involve custom sizing dies and small fingers. A 22 hornet-223 bbl might be a solution. As it is now 30-06 165 gr cast is cheaper than 22.

FLHTC
06-23-2014, 10:33 PM
Might not be as hard as it seems. Crossman 22 caliber pellets have a skirt with a pretty sharp angle. A push through sizing die and a punch to push them base first would be all that's needed. The skirt would be a perfect lube grove for alox, and over a pinch of Bullseye should do the trick. This has given me some ideas for a new project.

dh2
06-23-2014, 10:41 PM
Would the twist rate of the .204 Ruger get a pellet stable at that low speed or be a lot of key hole's in the target?

FLHTC
06-23-2014, 10:51 PM
Would the twist rate of the .204 Ruger get a pellet stable at that low speed or be a lot of key hole's in the target?

don't know. the pellets are only 15 grains but the 204 shoots 30 grain jacketed. I know i'm going to try it. I even have an idea for a sizer die

Cast Bullet Engineering
06-24-2014, 03:13 AM
I might have something the 204 guys are interested in...
Jim Allison used to make this bullet for a couple of guys over here that had the 20 cal Sheridan air rifles. Believe it or not, he made these moulds as a hollow base mould for them!
These samples in the photo are solid, they weigh 22 grains and are .204" in diameter.
I have the cherry to make these, never listed it on the website, would have been far too cost prohibitive to make as a hollow base.
But as a solid, no difference in price to a run-of-the-mill mould.

DC

FLHTC
06-24-2014, 06:06 AM
The pic attachment doesn't work. Was it saved as an image link?

bruce drake
06-24-2014, 12:46 PM
Good God! I thought I was a glutton for punishment for loving to cast .225 boolits for my 223 Rem and 22-250 rifles. You guys are certifiable!!!!

jhalcott
06-24-2014, 01:03 PM
I have a buddy that used a .17 rem to shoot rats. His ammo was breech seated 177 pellets and a mag primed case. 24" barrel and night scope. He claimed decent velocity and inch or so 25 yard groups. He said IF the bore got to fouled and a pellet stuck in the bore, it was easy to push it out with a cleaning rod! I NEVER tried it with MY own .17 Rem, but did believe him. He said POINTED bullets worked best.

FLHTC
06-24-2014, 03:20 PM
Good God! I thought I was a glutton for punishment for loving to cast .225 boolits for my 223 Rem and 22-250 rifles. You guys are certifiable!!!!

Insanity has no bounds

Cast Bullet Engineering
06-24-2014, 04:08 PM
It works for me, but I'll try again.