PDA

View Full Version : A "different & unique" single shot - trap door Hawken in 45 Colt Long

bedbugbilly
06-23-2014, 10:23 AM
I was looking some things up on Track of the Wolf's site today and ran across this listing they have under their single shot cartridge rifles - I thought it was kind of unique and interesting.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/498/1/AAN-068

It just goes to show what a person with the capability and the imagination can come up with! It may not be everyone's "cup of tea" - but having shot BP for 50 years, I never thought of a combination of this and thought it was pretty unique. A "trap door" chambered in 45 Colt Long on a Hawken design - it would certainly be a "head turner" at the range! Personally, I kind of like it! Just wanted to share it with others who love single shots.

rbertalotto
06-23-2014, 03:05 PM
Love it! Might have to add this to my list of "Winter Projects"! But in 38-55

Gunor
06-23-2014, 04:30 PM
I wish I had skill like that...cool

elk hunter
06-24-2014, 11:14 AM
A friend built one like that only in 45-70 with which he killed a monster Mule Deer. Neat rifle. Another friend liked it so well he had my friend build him one only on a rolling block, sadly the second friend never got to shoot the rolling block.

doc1876
06-25-2014, 10:58 AM
JP Gemmer was the guy that bought the Hawken business from Sam in about 1860/1866. He went on to make this style in Sharps, Trapdoors, and Rollingblocks, while still making the Hawken, and a take off called the Gemmer. They are beautiful.
The Hawken store was right near Eads Bridge here in St. Louis. If you are here sometime, you can go the Museum Of History and ask for a private tour of the back room where the Hawken rifles are stored. They were on display for so many years that people got bored looking at them, so they are in he back room. This is the way in which Baird got the info for his books "The Hawken Lore"