PDA

View Full Version : Who actually owns the name Sharps?

Limey
01-18-2008, 05:44 PM
Does any one company/individual actually own the name 'Sharps'?....or is it now just a reference to a generic style of firearm?

From what I've read the original Sharps company went out of business in 1881.....so does anyone actually own the rights to the name now?

Safe shooting

Limey

mazo kid
01-18-2008, 06:07 PM
I don't know for sure, but would suspect it is probably Public Domain since so many makers are using the name Sharps on their rifles. I do know that C. Sharps Co. has a copyright on the "Old Reliable" barrel stamp and made Shiloh stop stamping their barrels. Emery

Limey
01-19-2008, 06:08 AM
Thanks for your info Mazo Kid.....if you are correct......

....that means all post 1881 Sharps style rifles are copies or reproductions.

I was getting the impression from visiting various other sites that certain brands of Sharps' are considered by their owners as 'real' Sharps whereas any other brand of Sharps are merely copies or reproductions and by default in their opinions and comments, inferior...........

......not necesserily inferior through quality of materials, fit, finish or performance, just simply inferior due to who makes them, where they were made and how little they cost.

There are indeed some Sharps that are built and sold at the budget end of the market,.........and be aware,........ the budget end is still expensive for a lot of people yet these Sharps still give their owners satisfaction, pride of ownership and most importantly, a lot of fun to shoot....

.......and that surely must be the goal for every shooter, no matter what they shoot, no matter what it cost, no matter where it was made.

The only thing that really matters is, no matter how much or how little it cost, it must be safe to shoot, if it passes that critical criteria it should be considered welcome.

I say what ever you've got, enjoy it.....shooting should be a 'broad church' for after all, variety is the spice of life and variety promotes improvements and innovation to every aspects of our hobby/passion/sport/business/life.

Safe shooting

Limey

Jim
01-19-2008, 09:21 AM
Nevermind Quigley's eysight. I want his reloading gear in that saddlebag!