PDA

View Full Version : Midway USA changes shipping policy

MrWolf
06-23-2014, 06:44 AM
Just saw this where Midway USA is changing their shipping rates to make it cheaper to ship:

http://www.midwayusa.com/cart/shippingrateinfo?cm_mmc=pe_event-_-phi-_-larryletter_20140623_1-_-Link

Ron

captaint
06-23-2014, 07:51 AM
Well, that's good news. Now, I'll start looking at the Midway site more often. I actually used to avoid it, due to the shipping "costs".

GhostHawk
06-23-2014, 07:55 AM
Excellent!

Thank you for posting!

dh2
06-23-2014, 08:18 AM
that is good to hear I have been checking my order price with Mid way & Midsouth to see which one was cheapest for a while , Midway is not always the cheapest especially if there is a high dollar idem in the order

Moonie
06-23-2014, 08:18 AM
Yup, I got an e-mail about that this morning.

FLHTC
06-23-2014, 08:20 AM
They eventually do listen........and read!!!

brtelec
06-23-2014, 08:39 AM
I ordered a couple of items this morning that I was putting off because of small item shipping rates. $3.99 shipping, I was pleased.

zidave
06-23-2014, 09:15 AM
They finally realized they were losing a lot of business because of their outrageous shipping prices.

doc1876
06-23-2014, 09:31 AM
I just logged on to share the news, and I see the early risers beat me to it. This is good news. It has always irked me that many people try to hang the buyer with outrageous shipping. this is about time. I am sure he weighed the losses vs the overcharge, and came to a sensible decision.

ph4570
06-23-2014, 10:08 AM
They have been doing that for some time. My last several purchases were shipped that way. I takes longer but I will gladly trade a day or so wait for $ savings.

Reg
06-23-2014, 10:15 AM
Back a few years ago when shipping wasn't nearly as high as it is now I used to buy a lot of stuff from Midway. Midway, at first, actually had free shipping. Sometimes to round out a order I would throw in a few plastic ammo boxs. When they changed their shipping policy it actually changed to a point where it actually was a money maker for them. It had to have been. I was doing a lot of ebay shipping at the time and knew exactly what shipping for various items was costing. They really were way out of line. I started buying locally, at gun shows and in some cases just went without.
Will gladly go back and see how their shipping is now. If they are back in line where they should be, I will start buying again. If not-- well I learned well how to buy elsewhere or do without.

garym1a2
06-23-2014, 10:28 AM
It was probally the survey that I filled out last week when I ordered something using my Birthday discount. I told them I did not order so much anymore as their shipping costs where high and I could not select USPS so I was ordering a lot more on Amazon.

FLHTC
06-23-2014, 11:12 AM
Back a few years ago when shipping wasn't nearly as high as it is now I used to buy a lot of stuff from Midway. Midway, at first, actually had free shipping. Sometimes to round out a order I would throw in a few plastic ammo boxs. When they changed their shipping policy it actually changed to a point where it actually was a money maker for them. It had to have been. I was doing a lot of ebay shipping at the time and knew exactly what shipping for various items was costing. They really were way out of line. I started buying locally, at gun shows and in some cases just went without.
Will gladly go back and see how their shipping is now. If they are back in line where they should be, I will start buying again. If not-- well I learned well how to buy elsewhere or do without.

Yep, back when they sent out the monthly paper with those "Bargain Pages", you could get some good deals on reloading stuff. I don't shop there as much as i used to.

w0fms
06-23-2014, 11:33 AM
I saw that this morning too. I wonder if this is the first indication that end of this round of the "crazies" is starting to come to the end. Hell, I actually bought factory plinking ammo on sale (sorry.. I still do want to have some factory assembled stuff for my wife on hand)... yes on sale!.. at the local farm store yesterday...

Midway seemed to use shipping for extra profit when they could get away with it. It seemed really bad for about the last year. I wonder if that's over for awhile now...

markinalpine
06-23-2014, 02:44 PM
Now if Midway would just add USPS Printed Material (Book) rates for book only orders.
Mark [smilie=s:

rbertalotto
06-23-2014, 02:54 PM
If they would now put some inventory in the barn..........the last dozen times I've tried to order from them..."Out Of Stock"..."Back Order OK" ...... "90 Days"

I wrote them a whole letter about this and their outrageous shipping fees.

Billairgun
06-23-2014, 04:09 PM
It looks like powder is sent from the manufacturer. So will you be charged two hazmats and shipping if you order some Ramshot powder and some Hodgdon?

Lee
06-23-2014, 04:25 PM
Got the same email. Guess this years Safari is on hold until they get their sales back up. When they had their snail-mail rag I used to scour the bargain pages, on average making a purchase every 2 out of 3 months. Something about pictures. When they announced they were ending the rag, I politely emailed them and suggested they watch their sales volume vs adverts. I received back a slightly snooty letter explaining that the Safari was on hold due to advertising costs. I told them OK. That was when? I ain't bought **** since then. Oh yeah, chime in about the email blasts they send out -- twice a day!! It just ain't the same. I want something I can take to the reading room, read at lunch, read by lantern when the power goes out.......
Those who claim "change is good" should use dried corncobs for a month. Then report back on how the change worked for them. Little rant off! Hopefully they will review their business model some more. All the comments on this forum seem to indicate they had slipped from their mighty perch ...... Lee

GT27
06-23-2014, 04:49 PM
Its about time Larry finally listened to my complaining about their shipping costs!

http://www.midwayusa.com/cart/shippingrateinfo?cm_mmc=pe_event-_-phi-_-larryletter_20140623_1-_-Link

southpaw
06-23-2014, 04:59 PM
Personally I really don't care what a place charges for shipping. When I am looking to place an order I go to a few sites and put all the items in the cart then see what the total is with shipping. You see, the places that have 'free' shipping have higher per item costs. Yer gonna pay for it one way or another. The nice thing about midway has been that they have alot more stuff and it seems to be easier to fill your cart.

:|

Jerry Jr.

lefty o
06-23-2014, 05:22 PM
too late. i have long ago given up on midway. they used to be probably the best in the business, now, i hate the company. for far too long, the shipping charges have been outrageous, the prices used to be excellent, now they are the same or higher than everyone else, and then we come to the fact that they never have anything in stock. all of these problems have been going on with them for at least 5 years, like many others i have emailed them numerous times explaining how i felt, but larry just didnt care. i guess his bad business practices have finally ticked off enough people to hurt his pocket book, because he just flat didnt care before.

KohlerK91
06-23-2014, 05:37 PM
Nobody wants to buy something that says PLUS shipping. They dont want to be hassled with whats it going to cost to ship or how much handling fees is the seller going to add...........

People do that here on the S&S with "SHIPPED" prices and on ebay with FREE shipping. Grafs and sons been doing flat rate rate shipping (5 or 6 dollars)since I can remember. They charge more the for the item and offset it with a lower shipping price. I used to compare prices at Midwayusa with there lower prices and higher shipping With grafs with there higher prices and lower shipping rates. This is nothing new.

Believe me the shipping and handling is built into the price.

C. Latch
06-23-2014, 05:41 PM
I haven't ordered from Midway in many, many years because of their shipping prices.

I'd be thrilled to do business with them at reasonable shipping charges.

Riverpigusmc
06-23-2014, 06:45 PM
Ordered 4 Wilson spring and follower kits and a TDI knife over the weekend, and was pleasantly surprised shipping was a third of the cost of my last order, and no "handling" fee

David2011
06-23-2014, 06:54 PM
I've recently ordered a couple of small orders for gun repairs and was charged the new rates. Since I never know what will come through the door next I don't try to stock much beyond screws, spring stock and cleaning materials. It still miffs me that I was invited to forego the dealer discounts and become a retail customer but at least I can order a firing pin and spring and the shipping doesn't exceed teh cost of the parts.

David

shooter2
06-23-2014, 06:59 PM
I agree with lefty. Too little and too late.

1bluehorse
06-23-2014, 07:33 PM
I'm with Lefty and Shooter.........just because "they" decided to discontinue the beatings doesn't mean I'm willing to kiss and make up and be pals again.....I'll continue to go to the vendors that weren't "beating" me up in the first place....thanks Larry, but no thanks...

dragon813gt
06-23-2014, 07:54 PM
That USPS final delivery is garbage for me. It just adds an extra day or two and you lose tracking when it's handed off to the post office. I don't understand how either company makes money w/ that setup. I gladly pay the extra money for UPS to my door.

06-23-2014, 09:08 PM
First, Midway dropped free shipping. Then, they stopped printing a catalogue. They followed that by eliminating dealer pricing. Oh, and the websites search function leaves much to be desired. Now, they are attempting to lure me back with lower shipping costs. Maybe, someday, Mr. Potterfield will discover a business plan that is both competitive and long term.

Midway used to get all my business. That's all changed, as there are many companies with lower prices, outstanding customer service, and charge only actual shipping costs.

Nitro Express Shipping is not exactly express, as the hand off from UPS to the USPS will add at least one day to the delivery time.

TXGunNut
06-23-2014, 09:09 PM
Just making a good thing better, IMHO. I generally have a large enough order that it ships UPS all the way, didn't like the USPS final delivery much if I was in a hurry.
Still a bit ticked off about the birthday sale. Didn't get the invite this year and the shelves were bare in 2013. Birthday sale is a good opportunity to stock up on supplies and such that are seldom on sale.

Heavy lead
06-23-2014, 09:16 PM
I received no birthday sale either, just figured they ended it.
I did get a happy birthday though.

TXGunNut
06-23-2014, 09:18 PM
Last order or two shipped free anyway, just need to watch carefully. Oops, just put something in my cart. ;-)

Love Life
06-23-2014, 09:21 PM
I never stopped ordering from Midway, and more than likely never will. Ya'll go ahead and swear them off and leave more stuff in stock for me! Grafs has a minimum order which peeves me to no end. Titan charges outrageous amounts to ship a set of dies...or a mould... or anything to my house in Nevada. Nobody is perfect, but thank the Lord we have choices.

ghh3rd
06-23-2014, 09:28 PM
I've never ordered powder online, but have thought of doing so. I see that Midway has a $9.99 fee for powder in addition to the $28.50 Hazmat fee. I don't understand what the $9.99 is for - is that the same everywhere else?

500MAG
06-23-2014, 09:29 PM
They seem to be the only big supplier that can't get powder. The others seem to get a little here and there.

MaryB
06-24-2014, 01:52 AM
I got an email asking why I kept abandoning carts. Told them their shipping stunk. Depending what I need I buy local, Lee stuff from Titan because I basically get next day shipping they are so close, Natchez Shooter Supply has seen some of my business.

Akheloce
06-24-2014, 10:38 AM
Like others said, too little, too late. That arbitrary $10.00 for AK is a deal killer too.

As Amazon carries more and more gun related stuff, I see no reason to go back to Midway. The vast majority of what I buy on Amazon has free shipping to AK.... Got some star line brass, and a set of dies in the way. 2day shipping, free, and cheaper than Midway.

snaketail
06-24-2014, 06:02 PM
I used to work for an auction company - they made as much from shipping as they did the products. I suspect this is Midway's thought too. I gave up on Midway a long time ago. There are better sources.

Weaponologist
06-24-2014, 06:21 PM
Yep, Glad to hear Midway is lowering shipping prices. However, It's a little late. Back in there Hay day I bought only from Midway and Sinclair. Primarily because I was shooting long Range Rifle and needed the speciality Tools that Sinclair could offer everything else was Midway.
As time has gone by other on line stores have come on and offered little to no shipping and I had no choice but to look at there competitors or be a fool and waste money I could use on my hobby. The most frustrating and heart wrenching thing in the world is to get a chance to buy some badly needed 22lr ammo priced at $35 a brick that use to sell for $19 and then to get to the check out and see Shipping is another $15.74...lol...and then Dare to ask me to round up $1.26 for the NRA...lol...
I hope they continue to stream line and lower there prices. They do seem to have more product on hand than other company's they just need to be more competitive..

Ickisrulz
06-24-2014, 06:26 PM
MidwayUSA has great customer service and the best selection in the shooting online world. I often find all I need at MidwayUSA when other places only have an item or two. Everyone owes it to himself to compare availability and selection. Then consider the final price rather than obsess about supposedly high shipping costs. Many times MidwayUSA comes out ahead. I wouldn't swear off any company unless they gave me poor customer service.

dakotashooter2
06-24-2014, 08:39 PM
My issue was a lot of times I only needed a few small parts that generally totaled under the small order requirement. $20 worth of stuff shouldn't cost $16 to ship.

Stonecrusher
06-24-2014, 08:54 PM
I buy from Midway whenever they come out cheaper than Midsouth, Graf's, etc. I am definitely glad to see their shipping go down. Wonder if they will raise their prices on goods?

Didn't Midway announce a few years ago that they would have the option to ship with Flat Rate boxes to save on shipping for small orders? If so it must not have lasted long.

Moonie
06-25-2014, 08:26 AM
I took them up on their new shipping yesterday, ordered a new Bianchi holster, shipping $3.99, all good so far, estimated delivery date, July 1. Now I know it takes awhile for shipping, but normally in the past I could order something on Tuesday and have it by the end of the week. It was actually shipped out yesterday, UPS shows a delivery date of Wednesday July 2... Not in a hurry for it, just pointing it out, it's coming by carrier turtle.

Garyshome
06-25-2014, 09:03 AM
They lost much of my business from shipping costs. Although the prices there are higher then anywhere else also. I try to shop at Natchez or wiedeners, Midway is last on the list after Cheaper than dirt.

TheGrimReaper
06-25-2014, 02:40 PM
AWSOME!!! About Time!!!

MaryB
06-26-2014, 02:55 AM
Just checked shipping on 2 die sets and a crimp die at Titan. $9.92 priority mail

abunaitoo
06-27-2014, 08:29 PM
I too got a email from Larry Potter about the shipping changes.
I get dealer prices, but haven't ordered for a long time.
I used to buy almost everything from Midway a long time ago. Shipping was reasonable to Hawaii. They would send it UPS blue lable or UPS surface.
The shipping prices started to get crazy so I stopped ordering from them.
Then USPS came out with flat rate.
I emailed to see if they are using it. They said their system is not set-up for it.
I asked if whey were going to start. They said they didn't know.
A while later, a friend told me they started flat rate.
I put together an order only to fine out that Hawaii and Alaska is charged an extra fee for special handling on top of the flat rate. Never put the order through.
I wait as see if this new shipping rate thing is true or not.

I never got anything about a birthday discount. Never did, probably never will.

Handloader109
06-27-2014, 08:40 PM
Kind of funny posts here.....
Got an email from Midway today. Sale on Primers. $10 off! So, knowing that there is a $28.50 hazmat fee, which is NOT what UPS charges them by the way, I wanted to know if I could save any money on primers. So added only three of boxes of pistol primers in my cart. Added the 'coupon code" and so there is the primer cost, plus the 28.50 plus a 10.65 charge for shipping. Was less than one pound. And it will cost me a hair less than $40.00 to ship a pound of primers.
Sorry, the $28.50 'fee' is high enough the extra is an insult. I guess I'll still go local and pay $35 a box and smile. I guess if I could afford 10K at a time, I could save a bit.

Moonie
06-30-2014, 08:14 AM
My holster arrived Saturday, several days earlier than the Tuesday that it was scheduled for. So I guess Tuesday to Saturday isn't bad, but not as fast as the old standard UPS used to get it here, but certainly cheaper.

Sagebrush7
06-30-2014, 10:24 AM
There sales are off since they stopped Dealer discounts. There prices are outrageous on big ticket items. I bought my Forster co-ax press from MidSouth because Midway wanted $60.00 more. Small items run 3-10% more on a average. My 2 cts.