PDA

View Full Version : Martini 310 Cadet

BigEyeBob
06-23-2014, 06:43 AM
Recently I bought this BSA Martini Cadet , in the original chambering of 310 Greener.
the fore end was a hack job , it had been cut down and self tapping crews had been used to secure it to the
barrel lug and also at the front barrel band . I got the rifle at a very good price and was happy that the bore was in great condition
as is all of the metal work , no rust or bad pitting . Barrel slugs at 316" and is like a mirror
I decided to cut the fore end back to a sporter style and repair the holes in its' under side .
Not sure what the holes were for ,maybe barrel cooling or something

Ugly self tappers weren't actually doing any thing at all .They had been cut off with side cutters and the thread had stripped in the wood. Hanging on by memory only

The work done by the Bubba Goonsmith included gluing the tip of the fore end onto the barrel with some grey sticky goo
the join was hidden under the barrel band and the polished barrel ,bare of blueing for half its length so the goo would stick
I re-blued the barrel using Kleen Bore Black Magic gun blue ,it was a perfect colour match to the original ..

And the multiple holes under the fore end ,one included part of a brass screw that had been broken off.
I used a plug cutter to cut wooden plugs from a piece of walnut , and enlarged the holes with a Forstner bit , and then used the plugs to fill the holes.
Unfortunately it was difficult to match the colour of the timber , but at least the ugly holes are gone.

I also made a better screw and slotted/split nut to secure it on to the barrel lug.

For now I'm happy with the general look of the rifle and it's a lot of fun to shoot.
I did some work on the trigger and got it down to a decent let off.
I use the CBE 125 GN RNFP Heeled bullet and 4.3 Gns of Red Dot .
the original sights set at the 50yd mark are spot on at 50 with this load .Have yet to try it out at further ranges.
I use the Lee reloading dies , a friend gave me 130 brass cases some Super and some Bertram
In the future I will get some nice walnut and make a new fore end and buttstock.

PS take no notice of the dates on the pics , the camera has it wrong.
Kev

Tatume
06-23-2014, 10:49 AM
Very nice. Some day I want to get a Cadet to build into a custom rifle. In the meantime, I've enjoyed the photos of yours.

jumbeaux
06-23-2014, 11:27 AM
The holes under the fore arm are probably there to secure a hand stop...this is very common among the Model 12, 12/15 etc...these rifles were used for off hand target shooting and an aluminum hand stop was commonly utilized...nice rifle...I had a pristine 12/15 in .220 Rimfire (22 LR)that I donated to our local 4H youth shooting team...again very nice rifle and a good find sir...

rick

snaketail
06-24-2014, 06:48 PM
When I was a kid a gun mag ran photos of various lever modification/art work that had been done to Cadets. I've been lusting for a Martini for the past 50, or so, years. Please post more photos as your project progresses.

Thanks,
M

Hooker53
06-24-2014, 09:28 PM
Very nice job Bob. Can't wait to get my hands on another one of these one day. Good idea on more photos. Would like to see some more close ups. Keep up the good work.

Roy.

kopperl
06-24-2014, 10:48 PM
Wow! I'm admiring your handy work while rubbing wax into the stock of my newly acquired 297/250. Hope it turns out as well as yours.

Bad Ass Wallace
06-25-2014, 03:38 AM
Barrel slugs at 316" and is like a mirror

Check out the CBE website for a new 317.125 plain based cast bullet in the 310 Cadet section. I recently had a chance to test a 310 Cadet that had been mounted with a Leupold VX1 3x9X scope. At 50m the owner and I were cutting ragged one hole groups (both 5 and 10 shot) that were exceptional. Sized to .317 and lubed with Lyman 'Black Gold' lube.

BigEyeBob
06-25-2014, 03:55 AM
My mould is dropping projectiles at 319" in wheel weight alloy so it's a pretty good fit .
Its a 320 118S a Jim Allison made one. I spoke to David a few weeks ago and says the the s suffix means it a special but can't tell me what is special .
Probably it's slightly longer to give it slightly more weight than the 118gn .
I think I have to play some more with the powder charge I have a few other powders to play with the Red dot burns nice and clean .

mmmm plain base , with out the heel ? would you have to open the case mouth up more when sizing the cases ?

I've got a Charles Boswell double rifle in 500 x 3" Express I'm going to cast bullets for as well later down the track .
Right now I got to put things up as I have to go away for a while so every thing will be on hold.
I'll put some pics up when I get back .