PDA

View Full Version : Flintlock taught me a bench shooting lesson.

JeffinNZ
06-22-2014, 07:42 PM
Shot the flinter yesterday with the new White Lightning flash hole liner. Found that between 30gr and 45gr charge of powder the POI moved left 2 MOA. Here is the report.

http://floydpics.wordpress.com/

johnson1942
06-22-2014, 10:58 PM
thanks for the post, it was fun and interesting and informative.

Doc Highwall
06-23-2014, 10:28 AM
This is why I tell people that are sighting in their hunting rifles to hold it like they were shooting it standing first, and then just sit down at the bench with their hand resting on the rest as the point of aim and point of impact will be the same.

This is another reason why shooting over a chronograph off a rest looking for small extreme spreads and small groups does not always work, it does not take into consideration barrel vibrations when the rifle is shot such as off hand.

dtknowles
06-23-2014, 01:55 PM
When shooting rifles that have significant recoil, I find that the point of impact shifts when I go from the bench to prone. There is so much less give when shooting prone. Shooting sitting or kneeling is much like shooting off the bench, standing/offhand and prone are on the opposite ends of the spectrum.

Tim

Sharpsman
02-12-2016, 02:36 AM
These rifles deliver S L O W projectiles; much akin to shooting .22 caliber long rifle ammo where barrel time and accuracy depends upon FOLLOW THROUGH which must be maintained to the 'inth' degree! There's a vast difference betwixt a round leaving the muzzle at 3000 fps and one doing maybe 1400 fps! Whether one is 'rest shooting' or shooting off the shoulder standing or shooting other than off a rest....recoil must be controlled as well as possible and the position chosen has much to do with how well the rifle will shoot and the methods utilized by the shooter to control the recoil!