PDA

View Full Version : New Winchester 38 brass

starnbar
06-22-2014, 07:11 PM
I just had a few more twice reloaded 38 brass split right up the side of the case. These are not loaded hot just used for cowboy action shooting and used in the same revolver. I loaded a 158 gr keith cast with 3 gr of 231. I have other cases loaded the same way that have gone over 20 times before the case mouths split due to being flared and crimped. Is anybody else having problems with this new Winchester brass?

Love Life
06-22-2014, 08:02 PM
I had the same issue with virgin Winchester 45 Colt brass. Using a light-ish load of Unique, I had many split down the side on the 1st firing, more split on the second firing, so I scrapped them.

starnbar
06-22-2014, 08:20 PM
Ok so it may be just cheaper brass. I just wanted to hear from some others before starting a bad mouth on Winchester thanks LL .

EDG
06-22-2014, 11:57 PM
Winchester will keep shipping that brass unless you complain and send it back.
Their engineers can use it to correct the process. If you still have the lot numbers it would be better.
Winchester should provide you with replacement brass.

Love Life
06-23-2014, 12:06 AM
Not worth my trouble. I bought some Starline 45 colt brass and couldn't be happier. The only reason I bought Winchester brass is because it was available during the shortage. New Winchester pistol brass rates slightly higher than AMERC in my book.

I do like their rifle brass though because of the increased case capacity. Sure does take a lot of work to match prep it though...