PDA

View Full Version : 22K Hornet revolver

AK Caster
06-22-2014, 12:13 PM
Curious if anyone here has owned one? If you did (or still do) how did you like it?

Porterhouse
06-22-2014, 01:13 PM
A friend of mine had one a few years ago. He was having problem constantly and the gun was sent back more than once. I forgot what exactly the problem was but I personally didn't like it because of the balance and heavy trigger.

Guesser
06-22-2014, 01:39 PM
I am very familiar with a Taurus Raging Hornet, great gun and does everything it should and does it right. Shoots the same hand loads as a Ruger 77/22H.

SOFMatchstaff
06-22-2014, 02:15 PM
I have a S&W K22 that was made by Harvey way back when. Called a 224 Harvey K Chuk. Neat little gun when the loads are tuned,
it likes the Speer 33gr hornet bullet and a dose of HS 6. never had my hands on the taurus, but i would think the tapered std Hornet might have a few more issues than the straight K hornet with set back.

skeettx
06-22-2014, 02:29 PM
YUP, I also have a K Chuck, fun gun
Are you using the .221, or .222, or 224 diameter bullets?
Thanks
Mike

AK Caster
06-22-2014, 02:47 PM
Interesting as I did not know Taurus made a revolver in this chambering.

Porterhouse, was the revolver your friend owned a custom or a Taurus?

Rick B
06-22-2014, 06:07 PM
I have a S&W Model 53 and three cylinders. The 22 Jet, 22 LR and a spare 22 LR cylinder. These cylinder are .060 longer then a S&W K 22 cylinder. A spare cylinder for the Model 53 is a scarce item. I have a new 22K Hornet PT&G cylinder reamer that I ordered to ream the extra cylinder. I should sell the S&W cylinder, and order a blank S&W cylinder from Bowen. Need to pursue this so I can cross it off my bucket list.
Rick

FLHTC
06-22-2014, 06:13 PM
Interesting as I did not know Taurus made a revolver in this chambering.

Porterhouse, was the revolver your friend owned a custom or a Taurus?

The Raging Hornet came out about the same time as the Raging Bull and Raging Bee (218 Bee).

LynC2
06-22-2014, 07:21 PM
I made one many years ago using a Ruger Super Blackhawk during my massacre the local jack rabbit population phase. It's a fun gun to shoot and cheap! However the only issue I encountered was finding the right loads that didn't bind up the cylinder. Nothing difficult, just a bit of trying different combinations.

SOFMatchstaff
06-26-2014, 04:56 PM
skeettx, the .224 work fine in mine, slugged the bore and was pleased to find it large enough. finding the smaller projos
was not worth the effort. My last batch of Sisks went zero balance years ago.

I use the Speer 33gr TNT and the 30 and 37gr Double HP Calhoons. All of them get to a good speed and the bullets
are quite destructive. I had some OAL issues with the other Hornet bullets, but not with these.

Were you ever stationed at Nellis??

flounderman
06-26-2014, 05:13 PM
I shot one once in the K hornet. custom ruger. Guy said you need to wear earplugs, I said I didn't need them. My ears just hummed afterwards. You definitely need to wear ear protection with one of them. This was 50 years ago and I remember it like it was yesterday. Left a real impression. Probably better off with something like the 32 magnum, although I have never shot one

skeettx
06-26-2014, 07:16 PM
SOF Matchstaff,

What load is your favorite?

No, but I did visit Nellis some as a member of the staff of Directorate of Nuclear Weapons from Kelly AFB, San Antonio,
and before that as a staff member of the Interservice Nuclear Weapons School at Kirtland AFB, Albuquerque.
Before that RV Branch Chief at Whiteman AFB, Knobknoster.

Mike

SOFMatchstaff
06-26-2014, 09:58 PM
I havent settled on a specific favorite yet, the HS 6 is working well, I just have see what is max here in the summer and what I can bump it to in the winter. I think you could start at 6.7 with the 30gr and see what yours will do, I use Rem std small rifle primers and have no extraction problems or setback issues. so far they just fall out like 38 weenie loads.

You specified K Chuk, is it a Harvey on a K frame or something else?? I have a spare cyl and the reamer, I'm tempted to chamber a shorter version to get the same performance in shorter OAL.

I played at Nellis in 69-70, transit alert, and did my Basic at Amarillo. Base isnt there anymore is it?

DLCTEX
06-27-2014, 09:09 AM
I shoot the 225-438 in my Raging Hornet and it does well with that boolit. Heavier boolits or hotter bullet loads tend to bind the cylinder to the point that the cylinder needs assistance to turn. I am tempted to ream it to K Hornet, as well as my Ruger 77/22 Hornet. The Raging Hornet is the same size as my Raging Bull in 480 Ruger and weighs slightly more due to more metal in the barrel. It is no longer made, but used ones are out there.
I went and compared the two pistols and the Hornet is a good bit heavier. The Hornet barrel is 2 inches longer also. The Hornet is an eight shot and the Raging Bull is five. The guns both shoot like rifles, as far as accuracy.

skeettx
06-29-2014, 05:44 PM
Amarillo Air Base GONE
Yes mine is an original Harvey with K-Frame
I have lots of HS-6, will try it,
THANKS
Mike