PDA

View Full Version : Starting to PC dry method

OnceFired
06-22-2014, 01:23 AM
Hey all

I want to start powder coating my cast boolits. I have cast a bunch already - and previously tumble lubed with White Label Lube / Xlox. With all of the success here with PC, I figured I would just switch over now entirely.

I am going to slug my bore, and confirm the mold I have will work. Still have not shot a cast boolit, which I am aiming to change by end of July since my work has finally slowed down quite a bit.

My question is simple - can I simply tumble my Xlox'd projectiles in corn cob to remove all the lube? Will that be sufficient to then attempt PC on the same projectiles? Lots of issues surrounding getting PC to stick, so I didn't want to create yet another factor that would cause a problem.

OF

runfiverun
06-22-2014, 01:42 AM
I seriously doubt that would work.
start from the beginning.

Beagle333
06-22-2014, 07:41 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?232846-Clean-45-45-10-and-PC-or-remelt-and-just-cast-new

See post #9. Banger says he can get it all off.

RED333
06-22-2014, 10:59 AM
I did some that were tumble lubed with Alox, did not clean them a bit before the
dry powder coat, worked well for me.

mdi
06-22-2014, 11:32 AM
I removed some lube from bullets to be PCed by melting it off in a toaster oven then cleaning with a good solvent (that leaves no residure, acetone, brake cleaner, etc.). I'm pretty sure tumbling won't work and not sure about melting alox, but it can be removed with a solvent....

bangerjim
06-22-2014, 01:08 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?232846-Clean-45-45-10-and-PC-or-remelt-and-just-cast-new

See post #9. Banger says he can get it all off.

Thanks, Beagle, for looking that up!

I have cleaned THOUSANDS of commercial/amateur grease lubed boolits that way. Perfect coat.....excellent success.

As far as "lots of issues getting PC to stick"........I do not know of any that are not operator error! Grease is your biggest enemy. Boolits dropped fresh do not need to be cleaned with anything.Old greasy grimy ones do. Just follow my list and you will be fine! No need of wasting all that time and electricity melting down and recasting perfectly good slugs just because there grease on them.

bangerjim

garym1a2
06-22-2014, 01:21 PM
I would just shoot them or melt them and re cast them. If you have a good 6up mold you can cast them faster than you can clean them.

popper
06-22-2014, 03:45 PM
PC will NOT stick to anything LLA lubed. Clean them with gas (solvent) or shoot them.

bangerjim
06-22-2014, 04:05 PM
I did some that were tumble lubed with Alox, did not clean them a bit before the
dry powder coat, worked well for me.

Did you do the hammer test on them? Put on a steel block and smash nose to base until 1/4" thick and NO PC flakes or comes off?

I took a 200gn 45 boolit that I just finished a batch of 400 last night and smashed it into a little SQUARE!!!!! In other words a 3X hammer test. Not a sliver of PC came off and NO lead showing thru.

This stuff is amazing........if it is clear and free of Alox or grease B4 you coat & bake. I have remelted several hundred because I was experimenting with PAM and other lubes on the AL foil. Total failure. It wicked up and destroyed the adhesion of the PC.

I do not clean frest boolits at all, just make sure my hands are not dirty and greasy!

banger

OnceFired
06-22-2014, 10:29 PM
Gotcha. Thanks for all the feedback - I didn't find the other post before I wrote this one. Thanks for that too.

I think I'm going to stick with casting new ones, and simply load up & shoot what I already have. I'm running out of room in my garage at the moment, and having another chemical around that I won't use much is an expense & errand I don't have to do right now. So casting virgin boolits for the PC is the road I'm following. :)